Smile Paypal Fraud/Ebay question??

Recently had a transaction with a seller who now appears to be a complete fraud. Filed a dispute with Paypal and they've launched their investigation against the seller. Tried to contact the seller numerous times via phone and email, but he never returned my calls/emails. It's been over 2 weeks now and he won't contact paypal either. Has anyone gone through the dispute process with paypal? It appears I'm protected from fraudulant seller's, true? Thanks. Any advice or experience would be appreciated

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Paypal Fraud/Ebay question??

In all the years I've done eBay and used PayPal, I have been extremely lucky and never had any serious, major issues. But things like fraud are taken very seriously by eBay, and yes, you should be protected. But just realize, things like this sometimes take a while to solve and for them to finish investigating. It could very well be weeks before the entire thing is resolved.

** A side note...some months ago someone hacked into my eBay acct. I was damn lucky... eBay is the one who notified me and let me know about it, and that they had put a hold on my acct. until I could go in and change my password. When I got back into my acct. they had put several high priced items in my "watching" list, but thankfully then never got into my PayPal acct. This is the one and only time I've ever almost got really burned. Needless to say, I have a much more secure password now.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I just entered into a dispute with PayPal as well. My seller collected the money and unregistered from eBay. Thankfully it was only $16. No resolution as of yet, but thanks for the reminder to check on it.
    A signature should go here.

• Yes?

Being an Ebay Powerseller myself, I hope I can help. You have done the best thing by filing a dispute with Paypal. Most of the time Paypal sides with the buyer and if the seller does not respond to the investigation within 30 days you will get your money back. But it does take some time. You have done all you can at this point other than wait it out. But I see no reason why you won't get your money back unless the seller is in serious debt to Paypal and has closed the account that funds the money to their Paypal account. Also something to take note of is Ebay owns Paypal. So, let us know how it goes....I am always curious to see how these things go for others since I deal with this stuff all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

ooooo,yes. Years ago I did have an issue. I paid a seller $42 for an item. Item never arrived and seller never responded to any of my emails. I opened the dispute w/ Ebay and when they too couldn't resolve anything they refunded me all but $25.

So if your claim is anything under $25, while it's still worth reporting the fraudulent ebayer, you will not be getting any refund.

My advice -- before you bid/buy check out the sellers feedback. Don't just go looking for neg/neutral, read some of their positive feedback. Anything less than 'excellent speedy service' and I won't bid/buy from that ebayer.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    My advice -- before you bid/buy check out the sellers feedback. Don't just go looking for neg/neutral, read some of their positive feedback. Anything less than 'excellent speedy service' and I won't bid/buy from that ebayer.
    The one thing I have to say about this though is everyone can't be pleased all the time and there are buyers out there that do scam the sellers and leave bad feedback for no reason. I have never understood why some people think all sellers are out to scam everyone. I have never not refunded a buyer if they were unhappy or there was a problem with their item. I have never not sent an item someone paid for. And I have been blackmailed by buyers(unsuccessfully)in the past. And as for speedy service, some buyers who look at feedback tend to forget, you have no idea where the buyer lives in relation to where the item is shipped from. So if I ship from CA and the person lives in CA then it gets there in a few days but if they live in NY it takes a week or more depending on the deliverer. I ship fast but I can't control the speed with which UPS gets it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I had a few situations. Once, had a VMK purchase that was made by a kid in the U.K. with a bogus paypal account, email address and ebay account, all stolen from three different people. Had I gone through with it, I'd have been out the money, because PayPal will not cover transactions involving virtual goods.

Had another one where the seller got my $8 for a little item, and ignored us. We did some google searching and found out that the seller was a guy who had been arrested for setting pipe bombs all around town in an effort to kill his ex-wife (and a few others, to make the attack look random), and with this information, we decided to just forget about the eight bucks.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch