Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

Smile We're getting a kitty! Need advice from cat people - quick!

Just found out today we're getting a female, 3 month old kitten this Thursday, and possibly her brother as well! I haven't had a cat in years, and there are lots of new products out. What do you recommend for litter, litterboxes, food, grooming, etc.? Will she need flea treatments if she doesn't go out? The cat will be kept indoors and we don't plan to have her claws removed. She is a shorthair.

Also, since we're getting her from a shelter, she will be spayed Thursday morning, and we will pick her up in the afternoon. I don't like the idea of her having to deal with a strange environment while she is in pain, but I guess a shelter cage wouldn't be that comfy either. What can we do to make her more comfortable after the surgery? Will she be in much pain?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fluffy Club Member

• no flash photography...

Re: We're getting a kitty! Need advice from cat people - quick!

I like clumping litter. My cat eats dry food. We had three cats once...we're down to one due to the cats just got old....but one thing we had was ripped up carpet, furniture and cat hair on everything.

I recommend getting a lot of toys. My female cat is now 14 and she still will claw on our dining room chair....she no longer plays with toys.

...and after all that I would get anpother cat in a heartbeat. Have fun with your new baby..

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by lady3jane View Post
    Just found out today we're getting a female, 3 month old kitten this Thursday, and possibly her brother as well! I haven't had a cat in years, and there are lots of new products out. What do you recommend for litter, litterboxes, food, grooming, etc.? Will she need flea treatments if she doesn't go out? The cat will be kept indoors and we don't plan to have her claws removed. She is a shorthair.

Also, since we're getting her from a shelter, she will be spayed Thursday morning, and we will pick her up in the afternoon. I don't like the idea of her having to deal with a strange environment while she is in pain, but I guess a shelter cage wouldn't be that comfy either. What can we do to make her more comfortable after the surgery? Will she be in much pain?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Congratulations! I have always loved having cats.

I tend to like the Tidy Cat litter best, though there are a number of decent cat litters. For me, it's Tidy Cat first, and Fresh Step 2nd.

Because one of our cats couldn't jump well, I had bought boxes that had a very low step inside (and no cover). Many cats might like a cover, neither of our cats cared.

Cats groom themselves, though I have been brushing Red (our other cat passed away a couple of months ago) because she enjoys it. And I clipped Kitty when she was alive, she was a persian and would get knots in her coat otherwise.

Get a scratching post (or more than one) for the claws, some catnip, and don't go too nuts on toys. Cats often enjoy things like boxes, milk rings, etc. that are just around the house.

You may not need anything for fleas. Occasionally I've needed too (I have always had indoor cats), but not often - usually when I had a dog that went outside and brought fleas in. In that case, I've used Advantage, and it's worked really well.

As far as spaying and coming home - it depends on her temperment. Red has always been skittish around other people, and was hissing at all of the vet employees when she was waking up. Likely I put her in the bathroom and checked on her while she was sleeping it off, but more to keep her out of the way of Kitty.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

My cat didn't have too much of a problem with her spay. Keep her quiet for a day or two, don't play rough, that kind of thing. I give my cat kibble all the time, and half a little can of wet food in the morning. She's done pretty well on that. I'd recommend brushing your cat's teeth, though; mine just lost one of her canines due to essentially a kitty cavity.

The litter I use is "Swheat scoop" from Target. It's clumping litter and it's made from wheat so it's a renewable resource. I have a litter box with a cover and it seems to work pretty well.

Flea control- ask your vet. I use Advantage on mine.

Congratulations on getting a kitty! Kitties is love. Oh, and toys- my cat likes to scratch her claws on wood. Cats also commonly like the rough-textured scratching posts, the ones wrapped in twine. Most of the scratching posts I've seen have been carpet or cardboard and ignored by the cat but you don't want her destroying your couch! See what kinds of things your kitty plays with. Mine doesn't much like toys of any kind. She prefers mice. Oh- the laser pointer. Kitties will chase a laser point for hours. They can't resist.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Yes, a laser pointer is great fun for cats!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I echo all of these ideas but for us the scratching post was a life saver. It saved the cats life if he were to scratch the couches. LOL!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

My boy cat had to take oral antibiotics after he was snipped, and maybe something for pain as well. I honestly can't remember if it was one syringe or two. Hmm. She'll be groggy and hating the satellite dish cone around her neck, so you'll need to keep it calm and quiet for a few days. Those things have got to be terrible for them, amplifying all noise right into their little ears! My cat would just go stand against the wall and try to block it out entirely!

We use Feline Pine clumping cat litter. Put the box in a consistent place. Some cats prefer the privacy of a cover and some don't care.

Get her used to brushing early on and that will really help with controlling shedding. Our cat gets super excited when I bring out the brush, while my mom's cat just runs away when she sees it. Fleas shouldn't be an issue if she stays inside, but Advantage is a great product.

Get something that the cat is allowed to scratch on and train her only to use that and not your furniture. We used a spray bottle with plain water to convince our cat not to scratch the new couch and after a couple of squirts, we only had to show him the bottle and not use it anymore.

They lose their little baby faces so quickly, so take tons of pictures!
    A signature should go here.

Oh- and for keeping them off things- they make double-sided sticky tape sheets that you can put on things (like the couch) once kitty makes her preferences known. They hate the sticky and once she's trained to use something else, you can take it off.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

These are great tips! Thank you!

Fluffy Club Member

• Still wants to be a cat!

10 cats here, but most of the suggestions posted sound like good ones.

You can always give me a call if you run into any problems...but you knew that....right?
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Oh- and for keeping them off things- they make double-sided sticky tape sheets that you can put on things (like the couch) once kitty makes her preferences known. They hate the sticky and once she's trained to use something else, you can take it off.
    Wow, didn't know this one. Thanks for the tip!

Anyone got any suggestions for keeping the cats from clawing the carpets on the edges? That seems to be their preference.

Grats on getting kitties, everyone has suggested pretty much what I would.

Although I will say for some cheap "toy" ideas. My cats LOVE hair ties, the thick ones, not the small ones they can swallow and they have this toy at Target that is a stick with a string and a wispy contraption on the end of it with bells. My cats go NUTS over that, so that's a great play toy.

Also, make sure you show the kitty where the litterbox is, that's kinda key. Otherwise she/he won't know where to pee!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

We have a furminator for the dogs, they have them for cats, LOVE! Get it and make sure you use it. Hair is a big problem in our house and the furminator gets a lot to all of it.

If you knit or craft there's a lot of cute kitty toys with patterns online. Trace made the cutest sushi rolls for her furry friends.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Congrats on the kitties, and thank you for rescuing shelter babies!

Scoop Away litter is the least stinky, IMO. And we used covered boxes (Tidy Cat has a nice one with curved corners - easier to scoop). Covered is best for male cats, especially when they get to be big boys.

Scratching post - the bigger the better. Cats love to be up high and climb on things.

We do dry food. It is just easier and you can always leave some out if you want to go away for a day or two and the kitties will be fine.

Toys - feathers on a stick, play mouses, laser pointer, fishing rod toys. I find that my kitties get bored with their toys, so (just like kids) I put them away for a while and when I bring them out again they are fresh.

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    We have a furminator for the dogs, they have them for cats, LOVE! Get it and make sure you use it. Hair is a big problem in our house and the furminator gets a lot to all of it.

If you knit or craft there's a lot of cute kitty toys with patterns online. Trace made the cutest sushi rolls for her furry friends.

Here's the sushi:

They don't get to play with the wasabi.

Our cats love to be brushed, too. We just hold the brush out and they do all the work, rubbing all over it and moving it where they want it.

And they're spoiled on the toys, too. I buy things that are on clearance a lot and it's amazing what you can get for a few bucks!

I got this for Plika (pictured) for $5.00!

Ultimately have fun with the kitty and use all the advice given from everyone else!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• decorating

I not only second but also third the laser pointer! Nothing better than sitting on the couch and sending them into a frenzy with only a flick of the wrist! My 12 year old cat has played with one for years... it's the only thing that gets him going now...
    .My cats other favorite for years was a paper bag. Hid in it, played with the laser pen through it, jumped out at you from it.
    I would suggest start small on toys, even though you're excited about the kittens.
    PS... your cat may not go for catnip... most don't if they weren't sexually mature when they were fixed.
    My cat did cause he was fixed late, but his sisters who were fixed earlier never did...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast