Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Shrinking portion sizes

I was reading an article a few days ago about this but I didn't realize how bad it really was til I looked at my oreos just now.

Serving size: 2 Cookies
    Calories per serving: 140
    Calories from Fat: 60
    Saturated Fat: 2g 10%
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
    Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
    Sodium: 120mg 5%
    Potassium: 40mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrate: 20g 7%
    Dietary Fiber: Less than 1g 3%
    Sugars: 13g
    Protein: 1g

This means that after 20 cookies I've hit all the saturated fat that's in a "normal 2000 calorie diet" as well 3/4 of my calories. There's 32 cookies in a package, 11 in each row. Two rows and BAM. I'm making my own oreos from now on.

• no flash photography...

Re: Shrinking portion sizes

good thing I don't like oreos.

I read somewhere drinking diet sodas make people eat/snack more. I think it may be true. I kicked my soda addiction and I ahven't had unhealthy snack foods in almost two months. I don't even get the cravings for them.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Light Mouse View Post
    This means that after 20 cookies I've hit all the saturated fat that's in a "normal 2000 calorie diet" as well 3/4 of my calories. There's 32 cookies in a package, 11 in each row. Two rows and BAM. I'm making my own oreos from now on.
    Why would you ever want to eat so many cookies in the first place?
    A signature should go here.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    Why would you ever want to eat so many cookies in the first place?
    I just had 4 and if I had not read the back I would have probably just finished the row. That's still 20% of my total intake for the day, and it was just a snack.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Wow, the whole row?!?

I guess you are a growing kid and all, but ugh, Oreos are terrible for saturated fat and hydrogenated oils. What is that white filling? Nobody really knows!

Wow, the whole row?!?

I guess you are a growing kid and all, but ugh, Oreos are terrible for saturated fat and hydrogenated oils. What is that white filling? Nobody really knows!
    I know the white filling in ding dongs and twinkies have beef fat in them....i don't like those either.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Yeah, I try to avoid mystery filling. I like full disclosure on my food!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Wow, the whole row?!?

I hate to admit this but... pre-period I can eat a whole container of Oreos and then a giant thing of ice cream.

I heard if the whole country goes mandatory trans-fat free Oreos are screwed.

Oh! Something funny I learned: corn syrup (any form) doesn't release the same chemicals as other foods to let you know you're full. So you keep eating and eating. Same thing with salt/sugar foods, that your brain won't allow you to feel full until all that taste bud is complete (if that makes sense) so what some companies do to make you eat more of a product is add a little bit of one to the make you feel like you have to eat more and more. Like... (I'm trying to remember the example I read) certain cookies will have a little bit of salt that you can't really taste but it triggers your salt area and you not only are eating until the sugar portion is full but also the salt, and because the salt is so miniscule in each cookie you have to eat a lot.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

After my cholesterol scare, I tend to look at the nutritional facts a lot more.

And we as a household are trying to buy products with no partially hydrogenated oils. And high fructose corn syrup. Not easy, but you can do it, and the products are better for you. I mean if you're going to drink a soda, it might as well be one made with real sugar. And yes, I too have read many studies about the whole drinking diet soda making you actually eat more. Again, I'd rather drink the real stuff than some man made sweetner that could, in the long run, make me actually fatter!

• Minion

Yeah . . . again I'm going to start making my oreos so I know what's going into them. I've seen a recipe for them, I don't really need the oreo stamp on them. Who's with me!?

not me, as previously stated I don't like them...and at the moment I'm trying to loose a total of 60 pounds...15 down so far...so no junk food for me.

my snack foods consist of fruit, veggies, canned green beans or sometimes pistachios, almonds or cashews (the nuts are my one semi bad choice, but they are good for energy and they have not stopped my weight lose...so I enjoy a small amount occasionally. )

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    not me, as previously stated I don't like them...and at the moment I'm trying to loose a total of 60 pounds...15 down so far...so no junk food for me.

my snack foods consist of fruit, veggies, canned green beans or sometimes pistachios, almonds or cashews (the nuts are my one semi bad choice, but they are good for energy and they have not stopped my weight lose...so I enjoy a small amount occasionally. )
    Nuts are better than meat if you're trying to keep costs down and your weight down as well. Not quite the same taste, but they're awesome.

• Down Pluto!

All things in moderation.

including moderation.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    All things in moderation.

including moderation.
    Eh. But seriously, two cookies, TWO?! In the commercial I remember the kid stacking at least five to be eaten. That was only in one stack! There were multiple stacks.

• So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I know the white filling in ding dongs and twinkies have beef fat in them....i don't like those either.
    Oh gross. I only eat twinkies once a year but now that seems like too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast