Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Memories of New Orleans

As Louisiana, Mississippi and the surrounding Gulf Coast continue to struggle in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, I want to pay tribute to the great city of New Orleans that I had the pleasure to visit a few years ago:

This beautiful city will recover and shine again.

My thoughts and prayers go to all those affected by this terrible disaster.

Tim
    Last edited by disneytim; 08-30-2005 at 05:51 PM. Reason: edit

• Gay Man

Re: Memories of New Orleans

Thanks, Tim. I went to NOLA first in 1977, again for my honeymoon in 1987 and more recently in 2000. I feel like I know the "city portion" of NOLA relatively well. It is on my list of top 5 cities in the US. I adore to visit, eat, shop, and just play in NOLA. As a matter of fact, the entire Gulf Coast is fascinating to me. I find it equally saddning to see the distruction that has been widespread throughout this great area. I can hardly imagine what it is like to experiennce such devistation over such a wide area. I hope the South will recover one day and return to the glory that it normally posesses.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

I've been so fortunate to have been able to visit this amazing city three times, each time having an even more glorious time than the last. The history, the people, the charm, the shadows, the other hurricanes, the music, the food, the memories and so much more. My prayers and thoughts are there. And I hope to be again someday too.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Im Mrs Americain Dream

Aww im so sad to see such a city being distroyed by the weather i havent actually got to go, but i was planing on it sometime this yr becuse its history is so cool and i have a bit of an obbsesion of vampires and rumour has it they exist in that area hehe
    ~I Am Finally Just Me~

My Youtube Video Blog

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

rumour...?!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• insufferable know-it-all

I was so glad to have been able to see it before the damage caused by the flooding. I even got to visit an area cemetary (I imagine they'll still look cool after the waters go down, but likely crookedly cool....)

Cafe du Monde, Brennan's, Cajun Cabin and Preservation Hall, I hope ya survived in tact.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• My prices are INSANE!

I've been there twice, once for Mardi Gras. Such a beautiful city. Let's hope the city recover's quickly and in time for the next Mardi Gras.

Now that's going to be a party!
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Circle of Ancients

It's shocking to see all the landmarks totally devastated.

I hope they'll be able to rebuild everything and make it as good as new, but I'm afraid it's going to take years!!

• Senior Minion

My wife and I regret not driving down there in March 2004. I can't help but feel heartfelt sorrow for those going through this. Many wishes and hugs to those who need help.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Happy Memories

I keep getting depressed about the situation when I watch the news coverage or look at the pictures online. I've always thought New Orleans was a pretty cool place that I'd like to visit, but I've only just passed through quickly once when I was young and on a roadtrip with family. We didn't really even stop to see anything. I always said when i was a teen that I would love to go to Mardi Gras or at least visit the city but that I didn't want to go until I was of legal drinking age (that being part of the fun). Then when I did get older I was waiting for that right opportunity, that perfect group of friends to go enjoy it with... I fear i may have waited too long.

I felt a little awkward saying it, but since they were already brought up, I too relate vampires with NOLA. I've been fascinated with vampires most of my life and that city is so important, especially in Anne Rice's world of vampire lore that it is one of the first things I think of. I keep imagining in my mind stories of how these vampire characters might be dealing with the current situation. I guess maybe it's my way of escaping the saddening reality of it all.

Living along the Gulf coast myself, experiencing so many near misses with past storms, it's very sobering to witness what these people are now going through. I don't think I'll be so quick to get aggitated next time I'm sitting in my dry house with only a lack of power to complain about during a storm.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Maybe I am being a pessimist- but I don't see how it will ever be the same. The NO that someone like me will see will be vastly different from the one that existed prior to this disaster.
    I won't know it since I have never been.....but it just seems like it won't be the same.

On edit to add that my company is donating 3million to the effort- and opening a support line for people to do more- nice to know that.....
    Last edited by Nephythys; 08-31-2005 at 08:15 AM.

• Minion

i am so heartbroken over new orleans, we were planning to go there again during christmas. we had also hoped to have our wedding there in the garden district and have our reception at commander's palace. hard to think that so much of it is gone or damaged.it's my favorite city ever, even over paris!
    please be afraid.

• Circle of Ancients

I saw some footage of the coastline and could barely recognize what's left of the church where my brother and his wife got married. If you've not been there , one of the really beautiful things about that area was all of the old brick buildings with all of their history. Those a re irreplaceable.

• Banned User

I love the French Quarter. I love coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde. I love the old architecture. I love the cool music streaming out of every club on Bourbon Street, and the amazing food you can get there! It breaks my heart to see such devastation in a town I love so much.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wilema
    I saw some footage of the coastline and could barely recognize what's left of the church where my brother and his wife got married. .
    I have your family in my prayers Wilema! Big hugs coming out to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast