On the hunt for good Halloween events/things to do

I start getting this same angst around this time every year, and end up fantasizing about big Halloween events and costume parties and the like. But year after year...after year...I never have any opportunities and up doing nothing worthwhile. I want very much to go to a couple sizeable events at Halloween time "for reals", with awesome costuming and all that, and don't want yet another year to go by without, so I'm on the hunt once again for ideas.

I'm starting early so I can start working on designing and building costuming ahead of time if necessary. There's no real point in investing the time and effort in building any if there might not be an opportunity to make use of it.

Children-oriented events like Mickey's Halloween Treat really aren't a viable option I don't think. A large-ish-scale event of the sort that's geared toward older folks but suitable for everybody and not too formalized would be the most appealing maybe, and where there's relatively little chance of bad behavior in crowds and such. Adult-only events aren't all that appealing either (bars/clubs), but I'm not closed to them. The past couple years I've just gone downtown, but that's mostly a bar-hopping/clubbing crowd and a little too severe for my tastes.

Maybe those in/around the LA area might know of some things in your area. Several years ago I saw a brief news clip about a big outdoor Halloween[?] event called "Carnivale" or something like that, in LA I believe, but further inquiries and research haven't turned up anything.

I'd like to hit up a few events if possible. I reeeeeeeley want to finally do something this year. Help me Conversers of the Mouse; you're my only hope

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: On the hunt for good Halloween events/things to do

How about seeking out a good old fashioned pumpkin patch! I love them! They usually have kid friendly things to do, like hay rides and such. Many have entertainment, and food and contests.

My favorite is in Santa Clarita:

Lombardi Ranch

It's been a tradition for me and my "proxy family" to go here every October, for the past I'd say 8ish years. It totally gets me in the autumn/Halloween spirit.

Plus there's all sorts of haunts you can go to not at theme parks. Spooky houses and the like (if you're into that sort of thing).

• Minion

• Infinitized!

This year it's better to hit events on Halloween because... it actually falls on a Friday this year.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

You asked about the Carnivale. It's the one in West Hollywood. Never been but it's suppose to be amazing and really fun (just very very crowded).

West Hollywood Halloween Costume Carnaval 2008

Yes--that's it for sure. Thank you; this just might be the thing I've long fantasized about. (Unfortunately that site's a useless pile of trash but it did at least show that it's certainly the event I saw on the news that once. Now for all the logistics of attending...)

Just to clarify: Costuming accounts for about 100% of my interest in the Halloween season: this is the top priority when it comes to finding events and things. (This includes outside-of-Halloween like Mardi Gras.) I'm not really into the pumpkin patch/hayride/haunted house thing (but generally have nothing against them). And I'm after things that are not kid-oriented; I won't have anybody with me so it's off-topic and possibly inappropriate for me.

At any rate thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep researching, and see about getting costume construction started. Now, which one of a few ideas to implement... (another reason for wanting at least two good events each the season.)

• Circle of Ancients

^ Head to Santa Cruz if you can. They have what's basically a parade of costumes and trick or treating downtown all day and night. It's mostly families earlier in the day and then teens and college kids later on. And there are lots of venues that have costume parties and great prizes.

If you like dressing up and having fun , the Renaissance Faire at Casa de Fruta is a lot of fun every year and I think it's only a few hours from Bakersfield to get there.

Alright, now that I'm back from Universal Studios (trip report and pictures forthcoming), I can get to this.

It looks like the costume construction just may be a go--this would be the first noteworthy time since the fall festival in Kintergarten. Thanks a whole bunch again for the suggestions.

I've been wanting to go to a Ren Faire for a long time now as well. I'll research this too. (I've been to Casa de Fruta a few times. BTW, where's this "Bakersfield"? It sounds kinda familiar...)