Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Why so silent, good monsieur? (Katrina)

I cannot believe how quiet things are here on the west coast with respect to the hurricane. I'm shocked, frankly. When the tsunami hit, everyone was talking about it, talking about relief, pouring out their hearts.

Why, when the disaster of similar circumstances hits at home, do we suddenly fall silent? Sure, the news is talking about it, but they'll give the same amount of coverage to the Jackson trial, so that means little. Why isn't everybody on the street talking about this disaster more? My god, A CITY IS UNDER WATER! People have gone literally days without food or fresh water, and it seems like people are so blase about this.

One person I know just refuses to watch any coverage of it, doesn't want to hear a thing, and when you try to discuss it, says that they got what they deserve because they knew the city was below sea level and didn't do anything about it. It's beyond my ability to understand how we can be so numb to this.

I remember when the Northridge earthquake hit, and how we felt looking in our pantries and wondering how long it'd take to get water turned back on and freeways fixed so supplies could be delivered. We got lucky - 3 days and life was getting back to normal (albeit with a lot of road construction). Projecting my own experience, and feelings we had at the time, to the magnitude of the disaster taking place this very moment - I cannot possibly imagine how the seeming majority of Americans can seem so uninterested.

Sure, life goes on, but this incident doesn't even merit discussion? Can someone explain to me why people are staying so silent on the subject? Is it just on too high an order of magnitude to be comprehended? Are people choosing to ignore it because they cannot fathom the scale of the disaster? Is that why? Or are people just not paying enough attention to realize how big an event this is? I mean, it's the aquatic Vesuvius over there, a city destroyed, needing to be abandoned for MONTHS. How does this not at least interest people?

Why is everyone so quiet on the matter?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• For old time sake

Re: Why so silent, good monsieur? (Katrina)

I think some people are in shock still. I know that on my end I can't even begin to comprehend it all and Derek is ready to drive to Mississippi to help out already. That is his personality. I can't imagine what it must be like for those in Mississippi and Louisiana. I also am of the opinion that people are highly selfish unless the disaster happened in their own backyard. Is that harsh for me to say? probably. However, I was happy to see the outpouring for the tsunami victims here at work (we raised thousands within the Archdiocese). I'd like to see the same with Katrina.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

It's all I can do NOT to drive out there to help. I think only the impracticality of my distance stops me. But believe me, when they were begging for boat owners to come use their boats to rescue people, plans flew through my head about raising money, flying to Bass Pro in like Dallas, buying as many canoes and inflatable boats as I could, and taking them to whoever can use them in Louisiana. But logistically, it makes little sense. Well, that, and the mayor saying people can't enter the county or they'll be shot. Way to encourage help there. So we should all sit back and wait for the big organizations to get themselves organized, meanwhile people are dying in attics and on rooftops. It's frustrating.

Rather than discouraging people from self-deploying, they should just set up an on-site volunteer coordination center (eg: tell people to go to one place and send at least one organizer over there to coordinate), and tell people what to bring with them (eg: food, water, boats).

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• /sigh

Also, maybe we feel a sence of helplessness. I mean, what really can we do? Donate? OK. Fly out there? Not sure if they even want us to. So, what will talking about it really do? I suppose get people to care. But again...what will that really do in the long run?

I'm deeply concerned and sadned by the terrible event, but other than donate and pray....what more?
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Circle of Ancients

My husband's company has already donated one million dollars to the search and rescue efforts.

Maybe people are quiet because they are holding their breaths waiting to see what they are going to discover when all the water subsides....my fear is lots and lots of dead bodies.

Another reason why people may not be talking about it much is that they don't have family there. A lot of the people down there had all their family there rather than other parts of the country so they really had no where else to go even if they had evacuated. I think a lot of the people affected by the tsunami were in tourists areas so people all over the world were worried about their whereabouts.

My brother is actually in Ocean Springs which is the next city over from Biloxi , but they are getting barely any coverage since no one's heard of it and they can't even find the mayor right now so he's not available for interviews on tv.

Wow, I would think a missing mayor would be a great reason for coverage. Is Ocean Springs the one closer to N.O.? The one with the collapsed apartments?

I guess what's troubling me is that people... don't even seem uncomfortable discussing it - just uninterested.

• Happy Memories

I can't really speak for the mindset of people where you live. Here in Florida it's one of the number one topics of discussion. 95% of our newscast is weather related (our current weather plus the Katrina coverage... and as of this morning there were 3 potential systems in the Atlantic. Spet. 10 is the peak of the Hurricane season after all). Though if there was a bit of awkward silence about the situation, i would understand. People are somewhat in shock, I mean, up until a couple of days before the big landfall, we were planning to take a minimal beating from a very small storm. Then we wake up the next morning and it's a monster, soon to be on it's way to someone elses home. Forecasters are left awkwardly trying to balance their happiness that we were spared with the pain of seeing what was done to someone else. But like I said, I live in Florida. We know hurricanes first hand here, and they are a part of our everday lives. I suspect it's different in California. Perhaps I would be sitting here wondering the same question as you if all i was hearing were tiny blips about a massive CA earthquake.

• Circle of Ancients

If you're looking at the coast line from out in the ocean, Ocean Springs is just to the right. The people in Biloxi probably did better because there were more buildings to take up the impact of the wind and water. In Ocean Springs there were just trees and houses.

Another thing people may not realize is that a lot of people are in that area because of the Air Force base and many of those people in trouble are poeple who have served this country in the Gulf War and Iraq.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Wow . . . I'm in Las Vegas and all we're talking about is the Gulf Coast. At work our employees are raising funds for disaster relief. We hope to send a sizable check to the Red Cross next week.

What troubles me is when the tsunami hit Southeast Asia, there was a worldwide show of support. Have you heard of any foreign nation yet that has offered the US assistance in the Gulf?

Whenever there's a crisis in the world, America is expected to help. Where is all that worldwide support when WE need it?

Tim

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I know I'm still in a state of shock about the whole thing. Its the scariness of the unknown - we don't even have a handle on how bad the utter devastation will be and it may take a period of time to work thru all that. What we know if bad enough, what we don't know may bypass that in order of magnitudes.
    Mice Mans volunteerism is amazing. It makes a goal for me to get trained - I'm afraid that I would do more harm that good if I were to show up and try to help.
    What would be amazing is if they could deploy some of the relief efforts so that others could help without having to travel to the locations. Like give a task of putting food rations together, I could do that without being there, would just need a workable delivery system. I really would like to be able to contribute more than financially, which I've already done.

Wondering the same thing myself. Though American news outlets are NOT a great source of info for what the rest of the world is doing. I've half a mind to check out the BBC site and see if there's any mention of aid. Probably not, though.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    Wow . . . I'm in Las Vegas and all we're talking about is the Gulf Coast. At work our employees are raising funds for disaster relief. We hope to send a sizable check to the Red Cross next week.

What troubles me is when the tsunami hit Southeast Asia, there was a worldwide show of support. Have you heard of any foreign nation yet that has offered the US assistance in the Gulf?

Whenever there's a crisis in the world, America is expected to help. Where is all that worldwide support when WE need it?

Tim

I know Russia and Canada has stepped up with offers to help- not sure of others.
    Last edited by Nephythys; 09-01-2005 at 11:11 AM.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Why not start our own efforts to help? We can put links to the Red Cross Relief Fund in places where people will read them:
    • Sig Lines at Websites
    • Personal Emails
    • Live Journal/My Space Homepages

As for helping, we could use the Fist Official MiceChat Potluck as a way to collect items to be donated to the Red Cross for the Katrina Survivors. If by the time the Potluck comes around the Red Cross is only taking monetary donations, then we could start a donation drive in the name of MiceChat.

I am certain that there are ways we could get our MiceChat family involved in helping out the survivors of Hurricane Katrina.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

The State Department as of last night stated that at least 12 nations have offered help. Fortunately, there is not that much other countries can do. Our country is well suited to handle these emergencies. The Red Cross and salvation Army are already there and as soon as Bush gets off his sorry ***, we will have a much greater military assembly there including one of the floating hospital ships. Organized volimteers are always welcome but wildcatters are not. Untrained volunteers only get in the way.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast