Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Exclamation Metrolink Vs. Union Pacific

Developing story, a commuter train just collided at around 4:25 PM head on with a Union Pacific freight train, the ENTIRE Metrolink Engine got pushed into the car carrying passengers behind it and shredded the entire front of the passenger car. There are so far confirmed two fatalities.

I'll post a link momentarily as soon as it appears online...

BTW, this is in Chatsworth, CA.

EDIT: Better understanding: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/12/tra....ap/index.html
    Last edited by FantasyWatersDude; 09-12-2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: To post link

• Goofy

Re: Metrolink Vs. Union Pacific

how strange Anyways Im thinking of going to los angeles on the metrolink train but I don't know how much are the prices and its a one day trip. any advice?

its very sad that this accident had to happen. thoughts and prayers goes out the familys and victims.
    Last edited by Rex Dopey24; 09-12-2008 at 05:52 PM.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

I haven't traveled with Metrolink in a while, so I'm not too sure of the ticket prices. From what I can remember, it is not too much.

They have confirmed 10 dead, and the injured are yet to be counted. They are still actively trying to extricate more victims.

• no flash photography...

now they say 15 dead and they expect that number to rise. It so terrible. The engine went halfway into the car behind it. Those poor people.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I've been watching this on the news all evening and it's so tragic. They say the death toll could rise to 20 with over 100 injured. The trains crashed head on and the impact was so hard it pushed the engine car back into the passenger car. My thoughts and prayers go out to those poor passengers and their families

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

This is absolutely terrible. It's just so sad. The previous metro collisions I think were suicides where they parked the car on the tracks. That's terrible too but it was at the fault of some careless idiot. This time... again probably a careless idiot but just a horrible waste of human life.

My coworker was really shook up about this as the train that collided was only two trains prior to her's. I think she just kept imagining herself in that situation, which could definitely rattle someone's nerves a bit.

When I first started watching it was only two fatalities. I really wished it stayed that number. Absolutely terrible. Someone dropped the ball on this somewhere. Didn't need to happen.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• For old time sake

Out here in NC we only heard that it was "in the San Fernando Valley", so of course was scared for my friends who live there. I knew they were ok, but still. Not having sufficient info is scary.

My heart goes out to the families of the victims. Such a terrible tragedy
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

It's such a sad thing. I live about 4 miles from it, so I've been hearing and seeing nothing but helicopters and sirens since. Brings a pit to my stomach everytime I see and hear one go by. My heart goes out to the families.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Apparently from what I've heard.. three engineers on board the trains were also killed. The engineer of Metrolink #111 died upon impact, and two others aboard Union Pacific were also killed upon impact, however this is just what I've heard...

The Metrolink had to been have going at least 60 to 70 mph to slam the engine that far back into the passenger car, at first.. the helicopter news reporters didn't even know the engine was there!

Engineers driving the trains probably had about 12 seconds of seeing each other before impact due to the huge curve and tunnel.

I was at work yesterday(Disney Studios) to pick up my check I saw my friend yesterday just for a split second to say hi. My family was eating dinner in Simi Valley and saw the crash on the news. My friend from work takes that train home from Burbank to Simi Valley. I finally got a hold of him around 8:00pm. He told me he has taken that train everyday for the past 4 months. He said yesterday he drove to work to because he had to go to a bike shop to fix his bike. It was great to hear he was ok, but he is in shock and confused.

• Goofy

thankgoodness your friend is safe.

• Circle of Ancients

My Mom was going to come up on the Metrolink yesterday (she didn't). At first we thought this may have been the train she was planning on taking home, but it was coming to our place, not from.

It's so very sad. My thoughts and prayers are definitely going out to the families.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

It just keeps getting worse...24 are now dead and 130 injured (80 critically) . Metrolink has assumed responsibility for the accident and has said the engineer of the Metrolink train went through the red light that signals another train coming on that track (when they see the light is red, they are suppose to move to the side track and wait for the other train to pass). Awful...

• Incognito

Blog Entries

And they said there's still bodies in the wreckage.

I wonder how bad it would have been, had the Metrolink engine been facing forwards pulling the train, instead of in back pushing it. I know there's been LOTS of talk and discussions for years about this practice, and that if the engine was in front, it might protect the passenger cars a little better. Not that there still wouldn't be a terrible tragedy, but maybe less loss of life (not that any loss is ok).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast