Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OPEC sucks!

• Hooterville, USA

OPEC sucks!

I am so tired of being held hostage by OPEC. So yesterday, instead of just complaining, I bought 2 scooters for my wife and me. They get 70 MPG, so take that OPEC! When is this madness with oil prices gonna end? Probably after Bush leaves office. Anyone else pissed?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• there's always my way...

Re: OPEC sucks!

Damn Straight Im pissed!!!! I hate this price gouging so much, I wish i could get em a scooter for work but I work 20 miles away and that would suck.
    I wish we could go back to horse drawn carriages.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I am! Gas climbed .30 overnight here! I just paid 2.94 a gallon in Sioux Falls, SD.

What pisses me off most is the arbitrariness of it all. It seems like prices just get raised because they can be, then they try to explain it away.

The current excuse is Hurricaine Katrina. Well the production of the refineries that were shut down was something like a million barrels a day. The world's total consumption of oil is something like 40 billion barrels a day (I may be wrong about that number, but thats what I heard) so such a small percentage is not going to have such an effect on prices.

Our government needs to get cracking! Hybrid technology needs to be made more affordable! There is a grade of gas sold in the midwest called "E-85"- it has a high percentage of ethanol and is about .50 cheaper than regular gas, but only newer cars can use it.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Talk about terrorists interfering with our way of life, I think OPEC has a HUGE stake in interfering with our way of life right now.

Too bad one of our past tenants invention didnt work (or work properly). They were working on a flywheel technology demonstrator engine that would use a turbine in an engine along with a flywheel that would store energy while the car wasnt in motion, or something like that. Anyway it didnt work out all that well so they abandoned the project. We need something innovative like this that works!

• insufferable know-it-all

How come nobody ever blames the environmentalists who've put up so many barriers to building new refineries that California hasn't built one in over a decade? A lot of the price-raising problems have involved limited refining resources, and yet nobody blames the environmentalists or wonders if maybe we've made building new refineries (which we need desperately) too difficult.

Not saying OPEC isn't part of the problem, but people always focus on EXTERNAL causes of our problems, rather than admit we Americans have some part in the problem.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Hooterville, USA

We liberated Kuwait, we control Iraq. Now, why are we being gouged when we should be getting oil for free? Answer: Bush's family is in the oil business. Let's blame him.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• insufferable know-it-all

If we were getting oil for free, that'd be stealing. We liberated Iraq, we didn't annex it.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Why not blame Clinton? He had an initiative before him to subsidise the independent oil companies, like what is done for farmers, but turned it down, since at the time, gas was cheaper elsewhere. He pretty much signed the execution order for the independant oil companies. Death to the small man! (BTW, this was something GOVENOR Bush, at the tiime, supported.)
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

• Rock Star Minion

If everyone would drive just a little less -- carpooling where practical, doubling and tripling up on small trips, bicycle where and when practical, etc. -- the whole country would be better off.
    I'm currently planning a trip to Vegas and I'm cramming as many passengers into car or a van as can fit. There's over 15 of us going. I figure three vehicles will do it instead of 10.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    I am so tired of being held hostage by OPEC. So yesterday, instead of just complaining, I bought 2 scooters for my wife and me. They get 70 MPG, so take that OPEC! When is this madness with oil prices gonna end? Probably after Bush leaves office. Anyone else pissed?
    Out of curiosity, how much did these scooters cost?
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    Out of curiosity, how much did these scooters cost?
    and how fast can they go??

• Rock Star Minion

[sarcastic]Have you heard of the internet?[/sarcastic]

Try this. I might even go for this one.

http://www.scootersus.com/2A.html
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Iron-Clad Allie

Off and on, OPEC has been price gouging for decades. The irony of the situation is that it was American companies that explored for and ultimately discovered Arabian oil in the first place. Some "thank you"!

Conservation would go a long way toward sending a message to OPEC that we are no longer going to buy into their greed. Though, I'm for breaking all ties with the consortium, and stepping up efforts toward tapping into domestic options (such as off-shore and Alaska) as well as seeking deals with other international groups.

We must also put an end to the power base of seamy environmentalist groups that stand in the way of domestic exploration, production and refinement. These self-serving organizations are in it for the "under the table" buck, and merely use the environment as a front. John Muir's spirit is hurling explitives at these phonies, which can be heard echoing off of Half Dome!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-01-2005 at 05:57 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

I did a little math, and you can too!

1. Need distance to work: For me, it's about 8 miles, all surface streets. That converts to about 4000 miles per year.
    2. Need current mpg of vehicle going to work. For me that's about 25 mpg. That means 160 gallons per year.
    3. Need current (or average future) price of gas. Let's assume $3 per gal. That's $480 for me.

This particular scooter gets "well over 100mpg." Let's round to 100mpg.

4. Redo steps 1-3 using 100 mpg to get $120 per year spent on gas.

5. Difference: $360 saved per year.
    6. Time to pay off $900 scooter: 2.5 years.

Downsides:
    1. More risk of getting hurt or killed. That could affect other people.
    2. Doesn't go very fast, but it's small enough to be able to get out of the way
    3. Need a motorcycle license? Anyone know California law as it pertains to scooters?
    4. What about maintenance?
    5. What about that car rusting away?

• Mentat

Sorry everyone, I have to disagree.

OPEC has very little to do with the price of gas today. The problem has to do with hundreds of thousands of displaced people and businesses. Did you know that 20% of our gasoline is refined along the gulf coast? The hurricane has created a MASSIVE shortage in refining power-- it doesn't matter how much crude oil we buy-- we simply don't have the facilities to process it. The majority of the Midwest's gas comes from the New Orleans Area.

As for your scooter, sweet! As for the price of gas-- it has NOTHING to do with OPEC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast