Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Curiouser and Curiouser

Honor New Orleans (Square)?

Should Disneyland do something in New Orleans Square to show its support for those who lost their homes in New Orleans during Hurricaine Katrina?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Honor New Orleans (Square)?

Funny, that never occurred to me.

When 9-11 hit, tons of people left tributes at the NYNY hotel here in Vegas. Wonder if the same will have at NOS. Seems appropriate.

• Ooh boy!

I wouldn't reccommend it.

Disneyland is an escape from the real world, not a reminder of it.

However, if they do tribute the Hurricane, I would rather have it be subtle rather than in my face.
    Last edited by openattheseams; 09-01-2005 at 08:29 PM.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Yeah, Dont Let the Rivers of America flood it. That would be bad. Maybe have an Honorary line of Dykes stand along it's fence???
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I heard the Walt Disney Company donated something like 2.5 million to the relief effort today (or something like that), so thats cool.

• Mice Chat Newbie

Yup they did. Any many business are matching employee contributions. Mine is.

I think we should just enjoy New Orleans Square and be thankful for what we have, while doing all we can to help the people of the real New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    I heard the Walt Disney Company donated something like 2.5 million to the relief effort today (or something like that), so thats cool.

It makes me happy that Disney will donated money in desperate times. I heard wal mart donated a whopping 1 million. I know 1 million is a lot, but for WAL MART!?!?!? Disney doesnt even come close to generating the same kind of revenue walmart does. Maybe disney should have a fund raiser dinner at the Blue Bayou or take some of that extra cash they make from setting up dinners in the HM and donate that.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    Funny, that never occurred to me.

When 9-11 hit, tons of people left tributes at the NYNY hotel here in Vegas. Wonder if the same will have at NOS. Seems appropriate.
    Why do I have a feeling that security (and the people who make the area look nice every night) wouldn't want people leaving packages and other items alone? I can see Disney doing something, but I don't think they'll want people leaving stuff there.

-Michael
    You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality. - Walt Disney

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Why do I have a feeling that security (and the people who make the area look nice every night) wouldn't want people leaving packages and other items alone? I can see Disney doing something, but I don't think they'll want people leaving stuff there.

-Michael
    NYNY staff was continually rearranging and removing items. When things died down, they put many of the items back on display and created a memorial. It was very heartwarming.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Spalding
    It makes me happy that Disney will donated money in desperate times. I heard wal mart donated a whopping 1 million. I know 1 million is a lot, but for WAL MART!?!?!? Disney doesnt even come close to generating the same kind of revenue walmart does. Maybe disney should have a fund raiser dinner at the Blue Bayou or take some of that extra cash they make from setting up dinners in the HM and donate that.
    But on another note. While a reporter was interviewing (I think it was the Wal-Mart CEO?) he was asking him about how this could possibly hurt Wal Marts quarterly profits. The guy told him that quartely profits did not matter to them at this point. And that the people made Wal Mart the company that it is today. He was worried about the people, not Wal Mart. Also, didn't Wal Mart send a truckload (or a few) full of generators so there would be power where needed? Plus, Wal Mart told law inforcement to go into their stores and grab whatever was needed. I heard that the main thing they were grabbing off the shelves were shows. Granted, Wal Mart, IMHO, on a normal day are all about money. But when help is needed, they are there. Just as any other company is.

Good idea with the dinner at the Blue Bayou.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

NOS was really busy tonight which was great to see.
    Makes much more sense to do something out at DTD's Brennan's Jazz Kitchen.
    As it's probably now become the flagship location, and it's also free to get into as opposed to the park. Or House of Blues (their fabulous NOLA location was endangered according to part-owner Dan Ackroyd in an interview I saw yesterday) Far more opportunity to create awareness & raise funds, etc.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• The one, the only...

I think that it is great that Walt Disney himself loved New Orleans.

NOS now stands as a reminder of what New Orleans once was and hopefully will be again. I just preserving NOS is all Disney needs to do.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• All? NO, ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan
    Yeah, Dont Let the Rivers of America flood it. That would be bad. Maybe have an Honorary line of Dykes stand along it's fence???
    Too soon.

I think a plaque would be the most they'd do.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Too soon.

I think a plaque would be the most they'd do.
    I was just going to say that...it would be the most I would find tasteful for Disney to do (anything more, and I would feel like Disney was trying to profit off of this disaster).

And PanTheMan, how tasteless of a comment. Possibly thousands of people are dead, floating in the water of their city which becomes more toxic by the day, and you make jokes? How disgusting and insulting to those hundreds of thousands who have lost their homes. I have a good friend who lives there that I have not yet heard from following the hurricane, so to see people already making jokes about this disaster hurts. I pray your hometown is never leveled.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Please keep in mind that Wal-Mart may be providing services beyond their donation (this is coming from a Wal-Mart hater). I work for a large grocery supplier here in the US, and our CEO just sent us all a letter stating how much we were donating in cash (I thought it was a bit low at first), but then saying that we are sending truck loads of food, water, and supplies down to help the refugees and survivors of the storm. So while not donating a ton of cash, we are donating and sending tons of what people need to survive. It could be that Wal-Mart is doing the same thing.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast