• New Waver

Exclamation Help Pets Hurt by Katrina

Many people had abandon their pets because of Katrina. Now many of those pets are wandering the streets hungry and homeless or worse yet stuck inside of their homes with nothing to eat or drink. Others are haveing to tread water to stay alive. The Humane Society has a team that goes and help pets in disater areas. Most people can fend for themselfs but pets cannot and they need our help. If you want to find out more on how to help animals in the disaster area click here. Thanks.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

Re: Help Pets Hurt by Katrina

I think its is very important for people to protect animals they are an extension of ourselves. Has Purina or anyone gotten involved in the effort? I will donate but I am also wondering what relief effort is being sent in by the animal food manufactures ?

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I could be wrong but I believe that many of the pet food companys donate directly to the Humane Society.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• New Waver

I'm not sure what the food manufactures are doing, I just went to the purina website and could not find anything about any relief. I would think though that they would donate to the Humane Societies efforts since the HS has been doing this now for 10 years or so.
    Last edited by Boingonut; 09-01-2005 at 10:19 PM.

• New Waver

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda
    I could be wrong but I believe that many of the pet food companys donate directly to the Humane Society.
    Opps didn't hit the submit button fast enough...
    Last edited by Boingonut; 09-01-2005 at 10:25 PM.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

My "Boo."

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• New Waver

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda

My "Boo."
    OMG that is so cute! I could never get my Sandy to wear any clothes, its too bad becase she would look so cute in something like that.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

You will notice that partially edited out of the background are legs and hands holding her in place....

• New Waver

ahhh so thats what that is, still cute though!

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

I would hope that those who are helping the pets are helping the people first. Don't get me wrong, my pets mean so very much to me. Please donate to any relief effort you can.

• New Waver

Quote Originally Posted by ron10036
    I would hope that those who are helping the pets are helping the people first. Don't get me wrong, my pets mean so very much to me. Please donate to any relief effort you can.
    Yes I agree completely. People should come first ALWAYS! Please BEFORE you donate to the Humane Society donate to a charity that helps people. People are still out there starving and dying. I am just trying to raise awarness of the situation that pets face during disasters like this. If shelters would alow pets it would actully help a lot since many people who don't go to the shelters don't go because they don't want to abandon their pets to almost certin death. There would be more people going to the shelters if they would alow animals thus less people that have to be rescued or even killed in a disater like this. I have a dog that is really part of the family and I would be heartbroken if I lost her in a disater like this. My heart goes out to the people who have had to leave their pets that feel the same way about them that I do about mine. Most everyone knows about the Red Cross and thier noble efforts during times like this but not many know about what happens to animals in a disaster like this.

• Happy Memories

I think it's great that you are bringing this up. Yes, of course we help the people first, but EVERYONE is talking about helping the people. Very few are helping the pets. So I think it's ok to have one thread that brings our attention to this.

I also agree with what you've said about the shelters. There are a lot of people who don't evacuate because of their pets. Thankfully the last time we had to evacuate we were able to go to my future inlaws where our daog had an even bigger yard to run and play in than normal (which made him quite happy). Unfortunately it's just not possible for all shelters to accept pets for reasons too numerous to list. Many of the people going to those shelters could be allergic, and some owners don't train their animals well enough that they will behave in the shelter. I know that after some of the Florida storms last year our animal shelters were beyond full with all the pets they picked up wandering in the damaged neighborhoods (because they had been left behind). That's why each of our counties does have at least one, sometimes two evacuation shelters which are pet friendly. You just have to bring your own supplies for them, and I think you have to bring their shot records. You also have to have a cage/carrier for them.

• I Hug My Tapirs

There is a group out there called the Emergency Animal Rescue Service - EARS. After major disasters, they go out and rescue all the pets and wildlife and other animals that they can find, and bring them to a safe place until their owners can come to claim them. According to their latest update, they're trying to assist in the Southeast right now. Unfortunately, because of all the unrest, they're not able to get into the city and help.

EARS
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• insufferable know-it-all

I cannot imagine abandoning your pet to almost certain death. I'd be the person standing outside the superdome, wind blowing around me, asking the shelter people if they want my death on their hands, because I am NOT abandoning my dog to go in there.

(Then again, I'd also be the first person in my car, headed out of town, so it wouldn't have been an issue)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...