Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Queen of Sarcasm

Re: Worst jobs you're in

I was also a Stater Bros. drone from 2002 to 2005. I worked six months as a courtesy clerk and it was during the winter so I had to collect the carts in the rain and our store manger was a jerk and didn't supply raincoats or anything. So imagine someone going out in a white shirt and tie with shiny black shoes on and coming back in with an almost transparent shirt on because you were soaked. They had a strict rule of no more than six carts in the lot at the time so you were pretty much out there the entire time you were scheduled on cart patrol.

Then I got the "pomotion" to the service deli. This was also during the strike of 2003 so we were getting a lot of business with not enough staff. I was going to school taking 16 units and they wanted me to work 48 hours scheduled not counting the overtime. You would think I was making bank but I wasn't because the union didn't foresee the strike lasting over a week so when it went on for almost three months their strike fund was depleted after two weeks but they had promised that all the workers from Albertsons, Ralphs and Vons would be taken care of. They then stated they were going to do a vote on how they would get money to support everyone. The way they voted was they would garnish everyones checks that worked at Stater Bros from $50 to $100 a week in the name of union "brotherhood." Funny that the people who this affected had no say in the matter. They promised we would be reimbursed and over five years later I'm still waiting for my reinbursment. Ever since then I have been very anti union.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

I was a cashier at Safeway for 2 months a couple years ago. They were so short staffed that they didn't really properly train me and just threw me out there on a machine, and I kept messing up. I don't think I've ever been hassled and yelled at by more disgruntled people in my life. And then when it was slow, all I would do is stand and wait for time to pass... I would go crazyyy, thinking at least a half hour has gone by, look down and see that only 5 minutes had. WORST FEELING EVER!

I worked at a Staples for a while, just as an Aisles Associate. It was a bit better since I got to move around and was a little more self directed, but it also had the extreme boredom factor. I also wasn't allowed to talk to anybody else... I'm a very chatty person so whenever my manager saw me moving towards another employee they would immediately send me off in the other direction. That lasted 6 months, eventually it got to the point where I would dread going in so badly that I would actually feel sick.

I think I've found the perfect job working at a neighbourhood coffee shop. Think I'll try to find similar places as I work through university.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    I was also a Stater Bros. drone from 2002 to 2005. I worked six months as a courtesy clerk and it was during the winter so I had to collect the carts in the rain and our store manger was a jerk and didn't supply raincoats or anything. So imagine someone going out in a white shirt and tie with shiny black shoes on and coming back in with an almost transparent shirt on because you were soaked. They had a strict rule of no more than six carts in the lot at the time so you were pretty much out there the entire time you were scheduled on cart patrol.

Then I got the "pomotion" to the service deli. This was also during the strike of 2003 so we were getting a lot of business with not enough staff. I was going to school taking 16 units and they wanted me to work 48 hours scheduled not counting the overtime. You would think I was making bank but I wasn't because the union didn't foresee the strike lasting over a week so when it went on for almost three months their strike fund was depleted after two weeks but they had promised that all the workers from Albertsons, Ralphs and Vons would be taken care of. They then stated they were going to do a vote on how they would get money to support everyone. The way they voted was they would garnish everyones checks that worked at Stater Bros from $50 to $100 a week in the name of union "brotherhood." Funny that the people who this affected had no say in the matter. They promised we would be reimbursed and over five years later I'm still waiting for my reinbursment. Ever since then I have been very anti union.
    I can't believe they take out 100 dollars to this day. only the old contract get treated well and better than us.

• Queen of Sarcasm

I was on the old contract and I hardly got treated better, that is why I quit.

• Mischievous Mouse

Bus-boy at Denny's!

Although, there is a good story to go with it. One night I was asked by a patron to close the blinds at his table because someone had left their lights on and they were glaring in. I worked for like 10 minutes on the jammed blinds, eventually succeeding, the patron was so grateful for my unrelenting persistance to "achieve results" and solve the problem he gave me a 20 dollar tip. which was huge in 1979. The waitess protested when I told her about my take at the table, saying she deserved a cut. No one, including the other waitresses sided with her. I kept it all.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    I was on the old contract and I hardly got treated better, that is why I quit.

Then stater bros is becoming just like albertsons management attitude wise.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I worked at Target during Christmas time. It sucked my first day on register was the day after Thanksgiving.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234