• True Disneyland Nerd!

Lodi Ca, 6 hours from the Happiest Place on Earth *o*!!

Where is the best place to send money for Katrina??!!

Im own a boutique, and so next Friday - Sunday Im having a fundraiser for Katrina. Im donating 25% of all of my profits for those four days, plus I will havea donation bucket also (but they better darn buy somthing from me also!! hehe)....I know Ive mentioned doing this somewhere else on this board, but really want to know where to send the money where it will do the MOST good. There are so many options, and I was going to send it to the Red Cross, but I was curious if ya'all know anywhere better?? That maybe the money would be used quicker, more directly?? I dunno....they all get so confusing, and I want to make sure that this money WILL do some good....ya know??
    I really appreciate all your advice!!
    Happy Labor Day!! just hoping our Katrina people are having a glimmer of a better day today.....
    Last edited by Christi; 09-07-2005 at 08:12 AM.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Where is he best place to send money for Katirna??!!

Here is a great organization, LOW overhead, and they work with organizations like the Red Cross to get materials where they are needed fast...

http://www.hearttoheart.org/

Heart to Heart Responding to Hurricane Katrina

In what some are calling the worst natural disaster in U.S. history, Heart to Heart International is responding with rapid, targeted assistance. A forward distribution center has been established in Jefferson Parrish, Louisiana (just south of New Orleans proper) to distribute aid to those made refugees by Hurricane Katrina.

Heart to Heart has a long history of disaster relief. Thorough assessment and timely, pinpoint response has become the hallmark of this humanitarian group headquartered in Kansas City. The disruption of all vital services, the destruction of any organized mass communication and/or transportation systems are the greatest challenge to getting supplies to victims. Our transportation partner, FedEx is on-board again to deliver life saving aid where it is most needed.

Shipments carrying food, water and personal hygiene for distribution to evacuees, and medicines/first aid supplies to health care facilities addressing the needs of the injured. A staff and volunteer team has traveled to this forward distribution site to deliver aid, determine assignments for possible future teams, and prepare to receive future shipments to deliver to agencies sheltering refugees.

"Kansas Citians are rallying to this effort in their usual amazing way," said Heart to Heart's CEO, Jon North. "Volunteers are helping answer phones, coordinate other volunteers, staff collection sites, organizing fundraisers, and going with us to the disaster site. Heart to Heart International is privileged to work with some of the best people in the world, to help people in need around the world."

Heart to Heart leverages your financial gifts to procure up to 25 times their value in medicines and supplies for its ongoing disaster relief efforts. Donations can be made online or can be mailed to:

Heart to Heart International
    401 South Clairborne, Suite 302
    Olathe, KS 66062

Providing relief to disaster victims is nothing new for Heart to Heart. Responding to natural and manmade disasters locally, nationally and around the world for more than a decade, Heart to Heart has been your connection to a world in need.

Heart to Heart is a 501 (c) (3) humanitarian organization. Your gift to Heart to Heart is tax deductible and 98% of all contributions go directly to our relief efforts. for every $1 given, and average of $25 in aid is delivered.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• True Disneyland Nerd!

oh thanks so much Darkbeer!! I just saved that link!!

• Circle of Ancients

Christii...my brother said that the Salvation Army in Biloxi has been great in all of their efforts to help the victims of Katrina.

• True Disneyland Nerd!

K, Ill go look and see if I can find a website link to the Biloxi one..thanks!!
    Hey, I think you need to head on up and spend some mooooooore $$ at my shoppe this weekend....you DO have kids and dogs and yourself and friends to buy for ya know..hehe.....bring your check book AND your credit card...hey..its for charity! Oh yeah, and I can put you to work too...free labor, as Martha says: Its a Good Thing!

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

www.networkforgood.org <<<< Gives you a long menu of charities down there to help.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• True Disneyland Nerd!

Yeay!! so I was able to get my ad in the papers for Stockton and Lodi for THURSDAY, so Im going to have my fundraiser for all four days, donating 25% of all of my profits...the stupid ads cost more than Ill even raise probably...which SUUUUUCKS! but Im going to be optimistic about this....so...I have a question for ya....okay...so Im a big dog lover, as you can tell by my avatar of my lil Soleil (tho some of you might think that is torture rather than love, hehe), Anyhoo, so, I was going to also put out a bowl for cash donations for Katrina, but the more I see on the news about all the abandoned animals, I was thinking of have my bowl donations for the SPCA Katrina fund....is that insensitive?? Should I do two?? I really dont want to look tooooo tacky, with buckets everywhere begging for money, but the more I can do the better, and being single and trying to start a boutique I dont have a friggin dime to send myself....it all went to the stupid ads in the paper! sheesh!!
    So any advice on how to do this would be great!! Also, if anyone is looking for a FABU time, take a trip to Lodi this weekend!! WE have umm..lets see....we have grapes. a cute shope called Mon Petit Chic, um....lots of terrorists, oh yeah, and one of Hef's three Playboy girlfriends is from here!! Bridget!! See?? We are regular tourist trap we are!!

those coinstar machines at the grocery store (http://coinstar.com/us/html/a-home). if you have any spare change you can take it to one of those machines, thats what i did because i have this star wars cup in my car that ends up getting filled with loose change and it ended up being over $6.
    Jen

• insufferable know-it-all

Please see the link in my sig line - it gives a list, approved by FEMA, of charities actively involved in efforts.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Christi
    Hey, I think you need to head on up and spend some mooooooore $$ at my shoppe this weekend....you DO have kids and dogs and yourself and friends to buy for ya know..hehe.....bring your check book AND your credit card...hey..its for charity! Oh yeah, and I can put you to work too...free labor, as Martha says: Its a Good Thing!

You're hilarious! The next time I come up there we're having a spa day.....remember?

But I think it's awesome that you're doing this fundraiser. Hope it goes really well!

• insufferable know-it-all

Christi: how about donating it to one of the animal rescue charities?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...