Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Graffiti... Art or Vandalism?

It what seems to be the new scapegoat for politicians, videogames are continually being scrutinized over their content. The newest controverst is over Marc Ecko's (Ecko Clothing) new game Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure . The groups are worried over the publicity on Atari's website, which claims that the game is "a groundbreaking graffiti play system, designed to sharpen your skills as you tag with Aerosol, Rollers, Markers, Wheat Paste, Stickers and Stencils." The game will aid in "allowing you to find ideal places to tag," and demonstrate the ability to "infiltrate areas and avoid capture" and "create tags in pressure situations."

Marc Ecko was going to have a "Getting Up" Block Party in NYC which was to be a free art event featuring graf writers, artists, and music. However, his permit was revoked by New York City. NYC Mayor Micheal Bloomberg said:

"Graffiti is just one of those things that destroys our quality of life, and why anybody thinks that it's funny or cute to encourage kids to go do that, I don't know. We have talked to them and asked them to not have a subway car motif to write graffiti. This is not really art or expression. This is - let's be honest about what it is - it's trying to encourage people to do something that's not in anybody's interest."
    Marc Ecko was going to have replicas of NYC Subway Cars, and allow popular graffiti artists to demonstrate their skills. He responded with a public letter...

"Unfortunately the spirit of the event, as it was originally conceived and as it has been presented to the appropriate civic groups and government officials since November 2004, seems to have been lost in the haste to stereotype all graffiti-style artists as 'vandals' and to brand this event as a 'promotion of crime.' At its core, this is an event designed to celebrate an art form born from the streets of New York over two decades ago as a means of creative self-expression, allowing the public a unique chance to experience the workmanship and skill that go into creating a piece of art fine enough to hang on the walls of any traditional gallery or museum. Upon completion, a 48-foot mural will be donated to The Point, a Bronx-based nonprofit youth development organization, while the remaining nine will be placed throughout the city for public display."
    So what do you think? Is it vandalism or is it art?

•   
    • debating what to put here

Re: Graffiti... Art or Vandalism?

I'm not so sure that it is exclusively one or the other. I would definitely consider some that I have seen to be artistic. That doesn't mean that someone elses property wasn't defaced in the creation though.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• U. B. Bold

Simple:
    If you do it on somebody elses property (or public property) it is vandalism.
    If you do it on your own walls its art.

As my mother used to say: "Fools' names and fools' faces are always found in public places."
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• True Disneyland Nerd!

Lodi Ca, 6 hours from the Happiest Place on Earth *o*!!

Well, i guess it depends where it is....if its on someone's brand new building, or somewhere else that ruins it ambiance, then its vandalism no matter how great it is, IMHO. if someone decided to Tag my home or boutique I would freak out..no matter how cool it was.....but I love the ones that really bring to life an old or decaying piece of property...make sense?
    I would REALLY love to see how the taggers do the really hard areas, those upper bridge areas, places like that....on the freeways I have to be careful not to wreck my car, just trying to stare and figure out how the heeeeeck did they do that??

• Hooterville, USA

It's vandalistic art! Is vandalistic even a word?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Disney Memory Maker

If a group of people get permission to do it and they do it as a mural-type painting on a wall to help enhance the beauty...then it is art.

If they don't have permission then it is vandalism.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Hedonist

As a form of creative expression it is always art, but it can also be vandalism. The two terms aren't mutually exclusive. Sometimes, the vandalsim, or violation of private property is part of the artistic expression challenging those very boundries.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Your right to swing your fist stops at the other person's nose. Your right to "freedom of expression" stops at the other person's property.

"infiltrate areas and avoid capture"
    Anytime you engage in an enterprise where avoidance of capture is a consideration, you're probably doing something wrong. Indeed, if avoidance of capture is on your mind, you KNOW you're doing something wrong.
    "create tags in pressure situations."
    ...and what would this "pressure" be? The pressure to get in and get out before you're caught? Let's be honest. If painting stuff on other people's property is a crime, then encouraging "artists" to do it is "'promotion of crime.'

Perhaps Bloomberg went a little far in stating that graffiti is "...not really art or expression..." because, obviously, to some it is. I can understand his frustration, however, as the mayor of a city. Again... let's be honest. While some graffiti is meant as an artistic expression, most "tags" are created as nothing more than a ego-stroke for the tagger. I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that the proliferation of tags on bridges, subway cars, walls, buildings, etc. is publicly viewed more as visual pollution than as a thing of beauty.

To draw this discussion into the realm of this website let me ask:

How much do you celebrate the initials and sayings carved into the queue at Tower Of Terror and elsewhere at DLR? Would you encourage the use of aerosol paint on Main Street USA? Should we allow those who would like to display their artistic skills to use DLRR as a canvas?
    ...as a means of creative self-expression, allowing the public a unique chance to experience the workmanship and skill that go into creating a piece of art fine enough to hang on the walls of any traditional gallery or museum.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

If giant skulls and letters you can't read is art... well then I'd hate to see actual vandalism

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Don't hate the game...

Quote Originally Posted by General You
    As a form of creative expression it is always art, but it can also be vandalism. The two terms aren't mutually exclusive. Sometimes, the vandalsim, or violation of private property is part of the artistic expression challenging those very boundries.
    I agree
    Some people think that the big gang signs and gang writting is graffitti, but graffitti is just an expression of art, tagging is where gang plays their role.

• Don't hate the game...

www.janok.net/ 7th%20digital%20art%20field.htm
    Check out this page
    there are some graffiti examples, you might have to copy and paste the link into your address bar for it to work.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

The problem is, if it's on someones buisness and it's something like a skull it's very disturbing and makes it so not many people come in. If your gonna grafitti do it in your own home!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Former Epcot CM

It is not very nice when it (umm....the opposite to enhances) property, but some graffiti is very expressive - usually only when given permission to do it. Aerosols etc can create wonderful effects that are beautiful to the eye, but when it is swearing, pessimistic images, SCRUB IT OFF!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Don't hate the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    If giant skulls and letters you can't read is art... well then I'd hate to see actual vandalism
    Anything can be art, especially self expression. Even if others dont understand it.
    "Actual vandalism" is defined as "the willful or malicious destruction or defacement of property"- The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language.
    When graffiti is put into a controlled area where no one else's property is damaged, i can't consider it vandalism. I think some people consider it destructive no matter where it is.
    I disagree.
    Last edited by luvsongthatnvrends; 09-05-2005 at 11:13 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

The question of whether graffiti/tagging is art or not is really too subjective to answer. To some it is. To some it is not. It isn't likely one side is going to change the minds of the other. The more important issue is the method of display of that "art." Some people like Picasso, Kandinsky and Dali. Some people don't. BUT... these artists at least bought and paid for their own canvases.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast