Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Job Discrimination?

As some of you know, I am on the hunt for a job.........this morning I looked on the EDD website for jobs and saw one called "Account Manager/Inside Sales". Well, seeing that, I thought 'Hey that's cool - that's what I did and that's what I do.'.

The job duties are as follows:

We are looking for an account manager with strong customer service skills. This position will require heavy data entry of sales orders, sales follow up on quotes sent to customers, regular office duties (phones, filing, etc.) and the ability to do reportong on MS Word and Excel. We are looking for 3-5 years experience as an ACCOUNT MANAGER, INSIDE SALES, or CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE. Only experience with a manufacture or distribution will be considered. Please NO mortgage or retail. Please forward resumes........

Here's my question. Is this discriminatory? Because I might have completely adequate experience, but because my history is in the mortgage industry, they won't look at me or my resume!? Family said "Oh, well, if it's a private place, they can do what they want..." But I then stated "Well, I found this on the EDD website and the Government is advertising this.......".

Am I right here? Is this discrimination.......and what can I do about it?

• Cake Anyone?

Re: Job Discrimination?

I have a feeling that they did that to stop the flow of unqualified mortage/retail people from applying for that job. My daughter is a manager of a retail store and she is constantly getting resumes from people in the mortgage industry wanting a management position but wanting double what she makes. I am sure they are just trying to cut down the number of resumes they are receiving.

Can you change your resume up a little so it might be more attractive to them?
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I don't think it's the same thing as discrimination. It might seem unfair, but most job listings have many requirements listed, right? A listing that said "at least 1-2 years of experience required" isn't considered discrimination against someone with zero experience. I think this is the same thing.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Step-Mom View Post
    I have a feeling that they did that to stop the flow of unqualified mortage/retail people from applying for that job. My daughter is a manager of a retail store and she is constantly getting resumes from people in the mortgage industry wanting a management position but wanting double what she makes. I am sure they are just trying to cut down the number of resumes they are receiving.

Can you change your resume up a little so it might be more attractive to them?
    I worked full time in the Mortgage Industry from 1991 until late 2007.....not much I can change in regard.......how do you 'change' 16 or 17 years? My most recent job, where I was laid off, was for a manufacturer of sorts.......and it was for almost 6 months......but that is not something that would qualify me, by any standard.

What is unreal to me is that the EDD posted this and it is on their website (job order 9785556)......and it is on their website.......and my question here is if this is discrimination or not - because if it is, I am going to a higher entity to rectify this........ Seems quite discriminatory to me.......and I am well aware that the income is not what I'm used too, but I do need to make money.........and for them not to give me a look because of my job history is in the mortgage industry, even though I am quite qualified for the job, well, that spells out discrimination, I think.

Correct me if I am wrong.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

This is not discrimination. What it is, is they are looking for someone with account manager experience for manufacturer or distribution experience, not mortgage experience. They are looking for specific industry experience. It happens all the time and is completely legal.

I have nothing but financial industry experience, so I know how hard it is to break into a new area. I am looking into trying to find a job in the health industry, but my 12 years of financial industry experience isn't helping as much. It is tough. But you need to keep on trying, and maybe be wiolling to take a step back, in order to prove yourself.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

It doesnt appear so. They are looking for a particular employment background and experience. Now if they said, oh and if you are tall, no need to apply, or if you like Disneyland, no need to apply. That type of stuff is different.
    When hinges creek in doorless chambers, and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, Whenever candlelights flicker, where the air is deathly still, That is the time when ghosts are present practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion!

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Doesn't seem out of order to me either. The firm wants specific industry experience, period. I'm sure if they don't find the right candidate they will loosen the requirements.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    This is not discrimination. What it is, is they are looking for someone with account manager experience for manufacturer or distribution experience, not mortgage experience. They are looking for specific industry experience. It happens all the time and is completely legal.

I have nothing but financial industry experience, so I know how hard it is to break into a new area. I am looking into trying to find a job in the health industry, but my 12 years of financial industry experience isn't helping as much. It is tough. But you need to keep on trying, and maybe be wiolling to take a step back, in order to prove yourself.
    That's what is so funny........is that this a 'step back' for me - this job. I am way way qualified for it..........after scoping the qualifications.........and I am aware that in order to rejoin the workforce, I might need to do this............what I want to know is how am I suppose to change industries when someone won't employ me because I was once in another now 'black balled' industry.......you know?

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    That's what is so funny........is that this a 'step back' for me - this job. I am way way qualified for it..........after scoping the qualifications.........and I am aware that in order to rejoin the workforce, I might need to do this............what I want to know is how am I suppose to change industries when someone won't employ me because I was once in another now 'black balled' industry.......you know?
    good luck on the job hunt...it's hard out there.
    Last edited by SCUBAbe; 10-21-2008 at 08:05 AM.

• Cake Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I worked full time in the Mortgage Industry from 1991 until late 2007.....not much I can change in regard.......how do you 'change' 16 or 17 years? My most recent job, where I was laid off, was for a manufacturer of sorts.......and it was for almost 6 months......but that is not something that would qualify me, by any standard.

What is unreal to me is that the EDD posted this and it is on their website (job order 9785556)......and it is on their website.......and my question here is if this is discrimination or not - because if it is, I am going to a higher entity to rectify this........ Seems quite discriminatory to me.......and I am well aware that the income is not what I'm used too, but I do need to make money.........and for them not to give me a look because of my job history is in the mortgage industry, even though I am quite qualified for the job, well, that spells out discrimination, I think.

Correct me if I am wrong.
    Well why not just call EDD or stop by an office that would probably be the best way to find out if that add is Kosher or not.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

A company can not discriminate based on race, religion, sex, orientation, appearance, etc. But job experience is simply one of those things an employer can use to weed out potential employees. I really don't think you have any case here.

I have been a stay at home mom for 7 years and I have been in the process of preparing to go back to work. From the research I have done, employers are highly likely to look over me because I have a gap in my employment history. It is going to be more difficult for me to find a job than someone else. It isn't fair and it sucks for me, but they have the right to determine qualification for their jobs based on employment history and experience. They are probably the most common thing for employers to look at first.

I think you need to skip over that ad and move on to the next one.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Circle of Ancients

I agree with TinkPink. Is it unfair - maybe ... discriminatory, not at all.

As long as they aren't disqualifying you because of one of the things mentioned above, they can disqualify you based on your previous job experience.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Discriminating is not illegal - Discriminating based on certain criteria spelled out by the law is, notably age, sex, race, etc.

The laws spells out what you can NOT base your decision on, not that you must hire anyone.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post
    A company can not discriminate based on race, religion, sex, orientation, appearance, etc. But job experience is simply one of those things an employer can use to weed out potential employees. I really don't think you have any case here.

I agree with this 100%. It is not the job for you as you have already become upset about its wording in its ad and they have already made it clear what they are looking for and its not someone with mortgate experience.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post
    It is going to be more difficult for me to find a job than someone else. It isn't fair and it sucks for me, but they have the right to determine qualification for their jobs based on employment history and experience. They are probably the most common thing for employers to look at first.

What she said. I agree with everyone here, this isn't discrimination. It may suck for you, but it's just the way the cookie crumbles in the fun world of job hunting. Welcome to my hell.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast