Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

In-law Proof Your Home?

I found this article and after reading it was scratching my head. Have we really turned into a society that we have to play this part for our inlaws? Does anyone else run into this problem? What ever happened to being honest with each other and not making a big deal out of something so insignificant?

For the record, I did agree with the XXX stuff, put that away, but the rest of it I was just reading it and going? Wow, are we really that shallow?

In-Law Proof Your Home for the Holidays - ¬* MSN Relationships - article

Sure, your beloved in-laws are stopping by to spend some quality time with you during the holidays. But don't kid yourself -- they're also there to snoop. So hide the vices and steal these tips to make your abode more PG (parentally gratifying).

Whip out family photos
    Um, yeah...that photograph of you and all your girlfriends drinking foot-long Hurricanes in Cancun -- not so in-law friendly. Replace your less-than-angelic pics with family photos (son plus his beaming mom at the wedding is always a hit). Hint: You can slide your family photo behind your crazy vacation one in the frame. Should you get a surprise visit, you can quickly swap out the incriminating shot.
    Bring out the blooms
    Remember after your wedding, when you looked at each other and said, "What the hell are we going to do with all of these vases?" Well, their time has come. Pull them out and fill 'em with flowers. Your house will look polished, and it'll give your place a warm, happy holidays vibe. We know it's really just a cheap psychological trick, but it works.
    Lower the bar
    Your frat brothers might be totally impressed by your extensive, top-shelf bar, but if your in-laws see it, they're going to spend the rest of the night researching Al-Anon groups on the Internet. Streamline your liquor selection and keep just a few select bottles out on display. Don't worry about thinning out a heavily stocked wine rack if you have one. Whether it's actually true or not, it suggests you're mature, cultured collectors, not party animals.
    Hide the XXX stuff
    In high school, you may have thought your parents didn't have a clue. Yet they managed to find your bong, your diary and your 2 Live Crew album. Your in-laws are just as wily, but more focused. They'll head straight for your medicine cabinet, and given enough time (and brazenness), maybe your nightstand goodie drawer. So take a good look in there and decide what you wouldn't want them to see. Birth control pills, condoms and other prophylactics and fun electronic devices scream, "Your child is having sex, dirty sex!" Toss them in a baggie and stash it in your sock drawer -- the one spot they're not likely to check.

Stock the fridge
    Parents always worry about whether their kid is eating right, so load your fridge with fresh fruit and veggies, and keep a variety of cookbooks in view. When your mother-in-law wanders in, she'll see that you're all about the home-cooked meals...even if you're really subsisting on Subway and cereal.
    Show off the tchotchkes
    Suuuuure, you loved that "I Heart Boston" snow globe, the Russian doll, the Appalachian woven basket. So much so that you wanted to keep them safe (very safe) in your storage unit. But when ol' Betty and Bob come over, they'll be looking around for the gifts they bought you. So keep all the knick-knacks you were given in a box under your bed and quickly display them right before your in-laws arrive. Once they leave, toss 'em back in their hiding place.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: In-law Proof Your Home?

Thank God my in-laws live out of state.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Disappearing/Reappearing

hmmmmm......I don't have any pictures of friends up, probably cause my Disney World pictures have taken over every spare shelf and counter space in the house.

My vases stay in the closet and I don't have a bar.

BUT!!!! I DO stock the fridge before my parents come. Only because they are always trying to buy us stuff, and I swear...if my fridge wasn't stocked, they would take us by the hand to the grocery and buy us $300 worth of groceries.

• no flash photography...

the last one is a huge no no for my bf's mother. she took all my "tchotchkes" and shoved them all up on the book shelf. What she considered "tchotchkes" or clutter were my candles and pictures of my child...*sigh* Then she clutter the house like really bad...like worse than it has ever been on the worst cleaning day with all her luggage stuff. I was in shock.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Well, being a gay couple, we tend to put away the Pride flag and other stuff--not exactly XXX, but it reminds me of "The Birdcage" in some part.

Peace?
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Minion

Can you not work them into the theme? Say you just got over throwing a costume party and those XXX mags were party favors.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

So basically the article is saying, "Hire an interior designer"....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    hmmmmm......I don't have any pictures of friends up, probably cause my Disney World pictures have taken over every spare shelf and counter space in the house.

My vases stay in the closet and I don't have a bar.

BUT!!!! I DO stock the fridge before my parents come. Only because they are always trying to buy us stuff, and I swear...if my fridge wasn't stocked, they would take us by the hand to the grocery and buy us $300 worth of groceries.
    When I graduated high school, my grandma wanted to treat the family to dinner at a nice resturant. So when we finished dinner, my dad tried to pay the tab. But grandma got upset and literally threw his wallet all the way across the room!

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

If my in-laws don't like my house and what's in it, they can stay home next time.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

LOL i do some of that for MY parents.... out of respect for them. But Jeff's parents see all
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    So free food isn't good?

• Circle of Ancients

I actually get along quite well with my Mother In-Law. And she lives close, so she never stays the night, and doesn't snoop (I hope).

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I actually get along quite well with my Mother In-Law. And she lives close, so she never stays the night, and doesn't snoop (I hope).
    mine rearranges the entire house, paints, moves everything in the cupboards around and redecorates,. i come home from work to not what i left.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    mine rearranges the entire house, paints, moves everything in the cupboards around and redecorates,. i come home from work to not what i left.
    That's when you turn your house into the Dream Home and glue everything down.

• Banned User

My in-laws are dead, as are my parents. I'd give anything to spend time with either side again. Some people should be more grateful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast