• Still lost in Neverland

The Teddy Bear survives the fire

The big story is staggering, but besides the terrible numbers - acres scorches, buildings lost - CBS News correspondent Bill Whitaker reports there are the little stories that sometimes reveal most.

"I had a lot, a lot of toys, books," said 4-year-old Andrew Stanley, whose parents, Bryan and Michelle, lost everything when their house in Yorba Linda, just south of L.A., burned down. "Every single day I play with them, but now today, I don't have them."

They were left with nothing ... or so they thought. The family teddy bear, which first belonged to Bryan's mother and survived the World War II London blitz, also withstood the Yorba Linda firestorm of 2008.

The heirloom wasn't even burned, said Bryan. "My whole house is gone, but I've still got the bear."

I saw this on CBS news the other night and it was something that brought tears to my eyes. This little teddy bear from England has been with this man for some 43 years. It belonged to his mother and she gave it to him when they had to leave England to come the US. It has survived through WWII and now this horrible fire. They also found the wedding album and the wife's wedding ring safe and sound in a drawer upstairs where everything, including the floor had been burned to ash. Tonight on the News they told the story again plus they had a picture of the man when he was just a little boy with his Teddy Bear. Just one of many heroic and strange stories coming out of these fires.

I hope Disneyland once again has a Firefighters Heroes Day at Disneyland. They have done it before and after these worst yet fires, they should do it again.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: The Teddy Bear survives the fire

Very poignant story, LB. Thanks for sharing it. The bear is spared, and pictures and other stuff with nothing but devastation all around...somethig, or someone, was watching over them that night.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Seriously that's going to make me cry at some point during the day (I'm going to be in my lecture and suddenly remember that story and cry).

I just saw footage that my friend, Andrew, posted up on his facebook. He got back to his house in Anaheim Hills to find nothing. The million dollar home is not a pile of rubble and ash....his neighbors' house? Untouched....

My best score ever!

• Goofy

wow.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

My mom's cousin's house was the only one in their area to not be touched ny the fires. Everything around his ash was burned to ashes though.

Another great story Bruce. Thanks for sharing bud .

• Grim Grinning

That's a great story, it's making me well up a little.