Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Callifornia Earthquake Could Be the Next Katrina

We all know we need an "emergency kit" at home to take care of our family and possibly our neighbors from three to five days. If you don't have one yet, it makes a great weekend project. Go to the RedCross website and there should be a place that lists all that you need. I would list what my booklet says, but that would take me all day!

However, here is the checklist for a car mini-survival kit (from my booklet, yes, I still have it and refer to it twice a year - April and October)

Assemble a survival kit for your car. Store these supplies in a small day or backpack will make them convenient to carry if you need to walk home.

* Snack-type, nutritious foods - dried fruits, nuts, granola bars, crackers, seeds, jerky, etc.
    * Comfortable shoes
    * Bottled water.
    * Small first aid kit, including personal medications. I really want to stress the importance of keeping necessary medications with you. I kept hearing on the reports from LA people who were on medication and did not it with them. Diabetics need to keep their insulin with them. People with heart ailments also need their heart medication. In the event of an emergency, it may not be available for a long time, and the worse could happen.
    * Fire extinguisher: A-B-C type
    * Flares or light sticks. Flares could be dangerous if there is a natural gas leak.
    * Blanket.
    * Local maps and compass (again if you had to walk, but I think most of us know our way home from work. This would be helpful if traveling.)
    * Flashlight and batteries (change batteries when you change the smoke detectors)
    * Tools - screwdriver and pliers, duct tape, zip ties, etc.
    * A pair of heavy work gloves.
    * Ziplock bags, toilet tissue and newspaper.
    * A good book

Here's a list for a Work Mini-Survival Kit

The booklet says that there is a 33% chance of being at work when a disaster strikes.

* Snack-type nutritious foods.
    * Comfortable shoes
    * Bottled water
    * Small first aid kit (remember your medicines!)
    * Blanket (one of those solar kind maybe because they fold up small)
    * Flashlight and extra batteries
    * Battery-operated AM radio
    * Ziplock bags, toilet tissue
    * A pair of heavy work gloves
    * Emergency instructions (work protocol)

Must of this can be kept in a drawer or locker.

Okay...let's all get prepared!

MeiMei
    Boo!

• insufferable know-it-all

LOL... 33%

There's an easy statistic: we're at work 33% of the hours in the day But they got their numbers wrong because disasters don't know the difference between weekdays and weekends.

Good list though!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

now there is a 33% chance we will be asleep... or in some cases 50%....

and then there is the 2%-3% chance I will be having sex, but that is another thread about rocking the earth......
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• LoisAlene

Pay attention here folks -
    The last time we went to Disneyland, in '92, there were not one but two earthquakes. One a 7.3, the other a 6.5.
    We are due to be there again the first week in October. The way my luck has been running lately, consider yourselves warned.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan
    now there is a 33% chance we will be asleep... or in some cases 50%....

and then there is the 2%-3% chance I will be having sex, but that is another thread about rocking the earth......

Note to self-- Don't come a knockin whe....wel you probably know the rest LOL.

Okay, now onto what I was going to say. I am glad I left Cali a few years ago. A friend I met in Clas a week or two ago moved out of Cali too and said that they were experiencing small earthquakes then. So something can quite possibly be in the works. I hope it is not to catastropic.

October.... oh dear, you do know how to pick the months, eh?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

Mei Mei you had some awfully good points!!
    I have my stuff ready, and I have lots of things in my basement

8 cases of bottled water (individual bottles 24 in each case)
    ready made foods in cans. boxes of crackers, and protein drink mixes.
    2 gas lamps, and extra oil
    flash lights and batterys
    baby wipes
    very large first aid kid, with more stuff then a hospital( suitcase
    2 sets of cloths for each one of us
    and shoes
    extra blamkets
    5 days meds

Things I still need to get
    radio ( next on my list)
    fire extinguisher
    more water, and drinks
    ready made food
    more blankets ( we live in montana 40 below some times)
    extra coats

what else am I missing?

• /sigh

Don't forget supplies and food for pets!
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

hakuna markala, make sure you have a plan to get out of your house what you want to save. Here is MT, we probably are most at risk for flood or fire.

Wrassler: remember... unless they're foreshocks or aftershocks of a big quake, those little quakes relieve pressure and delay the occurrance of a big quake.

Okay, that's not exactly true either, IMO, because a quake in one place could put more pressure somewhere else. Whatev'.

I'll still take my quakes over tornadoes and hurricanes. Or worse: the midwest

OK all of this is freaking me out...I found out I live on the only major fault line in Oregon. Also I am less than five minutes from the ocean and 2 blocks from the bay. We have already had a tsunami warning here when northern California had a small earthquake. I can't imagine if a larger one hits. I guess I should make up an emergency kit also then...what would you store one of these in? Maybe a big plastic storage bin? Maybe i will go put one together right now....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Churro
    OK all of this is freaking me out...I found out I live on the only major fault line in Oregon. Also I am less than five minutes from the ocean and 2 blocks from the bay. We have already had a tsunami warning here when northern California had a small earthquake. I can't imagine if a larger one hits. I guess I should make up an emergency kit also then...what would you store one of these in? Maybe a big plastic storage bin? Maybe i will go put one together right now....
    Storage: My booklet demonstrates using a never-used-for-garbage can with tight fitting lid for the household. I used rubbermaid tubs, large ones. For your car or workplace you can use a backpack or a duffle bag.

You know, it does sound all alarmist and everything, but I was very grateful I had the supplies I needed to take care of my daughters and myself for three days while there was no power, gas, or water. We slept outside in a tent for several nights. Talk about feeling the earth move! Anyway a little preparation today may pay off ten-fold someday. Just remember to periodically change out the food and water with newer products.

As far as the 33%...that was not my statistic...I like to use 20-million as a reference when making a point, i.e. "there were 20-million things I had to do today!" I tend to exagerate a bit...wink, wink!

I'm with you Morrigan, I'll take an earthquake, even if we have no warning, over a tornado or hurricane any day.

MeiMei
    Boo!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    Mei Mei you had some awfully good points!!
    I have my stuff ready, and I have lots of things in my basement

8 cases of bottled water (individual bottles 24 in each case)
    ready made foods in cans. boxes of crackers, and protein drink mixes.
    2 gas lamps, and extra oil
    flash lights and batterys
    baby wipes
    very large first aid kid, with more stuff then a hospital( suitcase
    2 sets of cloths for each one of us
    and shoes
    extra blamkets
    5 days meds

Things I still need to get
    radio ( next on my list)
    fire extinguisher
    more water, and drinks
    ready made food
    more blankets ( we live in montana 40 below some times)
    extra coats

what else am I missing?
    Good job Karla, how about medications, or copies of the prescription. I also put in spare eyeglasses and "lady-things" in mine (sorry guys...), a deck of cards is good, too.

MeiMei
    Boo!

• Banned User

question, do I need to change the water if its in those 20 oz bottles? seems they would loast at least a year or more. I do have 5 days worth of drugs, and glasses, and I got some hand held battery operated games yeah I think about the kids since they may get real bored real quick!

• Banned User

I forgot, I never thought about garbage cans. hummmm I do have my stuff in large bins and the water is out in the open. its all in the basement off to the side and no light gets in. ( very cool basement ) I even stored my nephews foods down there. He is tube fed and will need this to keep him alive. He is alergic to ensure ( soy and any soy products) I have been collecting 0ver 100 cases of this special made food overthe last 2 years and rotate often. Also all his needs to sustain him in case anything happens. we are now putting in 2 more beds upstairs for guests, and more blankets. I can not stress how important blankets are for MOntana residents. we get real cold and stay cold for a long time here in my part of the state. I am assuming I will be having family or friends or who ever may need my help so I am trying to collect enough for those folks as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast