Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Re: Callifornia Earthquake Could Be the Next Katrina

hakuna makarla - since you mentioned cold - a generator, if you can spare the cash - is a great thing to have.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL
    hakuna makarla - since you mentioned cold - a generator, if you can spare the cash - is a great thing to have.
    can you believe we had one, a new one and my dad sold it after y2k. ( this last year he finally decided we did not need it. oye!!
    we had so much y2k stuff that he decided to throw it all out. he said, well its over and the stuff I am sure in the bins is bad. he took it out to the dump and did not tell any of us for about 3 weeks. I went down to get some tuna down stars and it was gone I was flabergasted as it took me a year to collect it all. I am still like wooooooooo hoooooooo dad, whats up with that! I was mad but it was to late. now I have my own basement to store things. Before I lived in a nice apartment house but we out grew it will all the kids so I moved into my 4 bedroom home. Huge basement, huge garage, yezah I am so trying to stock up some again.

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Churro
    OK all of this is freaking me out...I found out I live on the only major fault line in Oregon. Also I am less than five minutes from the ocean and 2 blocks from the bay.....
    oh Cool! One big Quake and you will be closer to the Beach!

You do what you must to be prepared. Then sometimes you need to laugh to keep from crying.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Bear Country Refugee

I’ve noticed that California natives tend to be rather blase about earthquakes. There is a fatalistic mindset that says “oh well… if it happens, it happens”. On the other hand, non-natives tend to be the ones who stock-up on earthquake supplies and bolt everything to the walls (furniture, pets, random children). I’m a native; I’ve been trough all the big quakes. In my experience, they’re really no big deal. Of course, I haven’t been killed (obviously) or injured by one, or had my house wiped-out. Your mileage my vary.

Just an observation....
    "The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion. " -George Washington

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL
    Please call me karla MTNGIRL ( and everyone else. ) much more personnel
    I am going to go lok for one and price them again. now we just have to have the gas to run them and store it YIKES!

• No Longer The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    My dad determined that given deductibles and how much he'd have spent on earthquake insurance, the Northridge earthquake was basically a wash, damage-wise. And we lived IN Northridge!

So uh... earthquake insurance is too expensive.
    And it is much more expensive now! It was relatively cheap before Northridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    No kidding. My mom had around $12,000 in damage, nothing compared to so many folks and pretty darn good for only being 3 miles from the epicenter. Her deductible was $10k. Luckily she got an SBA loan that she's still shelling out like $67 a month on.

And I'd like to 2nd the way FEMA handled the quake in '94. Granted we were out of power for I think 3 days and gas wasn't turned on for a week and we had to treat the water for a week or so they did a really good job IMHO at the time.
    We were 2 miles from the epicenter and had power back on that night. There was $8k of damage to my house. Do you want to guess what my deductible was? Unfortunately, it is much higher now.

It does bother me when FEMA bales out people who haven't purchased the insurance they needed. If they are going to do that, they should at least reimburse me the premiums that I have been paying for all these years!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    Don't forget supplies and food for pets!
    Shopping at Costco has its advantages - there is always food around for the pets!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123