Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• My prices are INSANE!

Earthquake weather?

I was reading another post about earthquake preparedness, but it got me thinking about the strange belief in what some people call earthquake weather.

I'm originally from the bay area and lived in San Francisco for 3 years, or "the City" as the locals like to call it. But alot of people there believe in this so called earthquke weather. Which is when the weather is usually hot, the air is dead still and the sky is clear, which means an earthquake could happen.

This freaks some people out.

I now live in beautiful downtown Burbank, and some people I've met down here in southern California also know about it.

I guess it could be considered a superstition.

Do you believe in earthquake weather?
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Re: Earthquake weather?

I was at the World Series in '89 at Candlestick. It was an oddly warm and still day. Although i dont believe in "Earthquake Weather" it does make one think...
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Sock Puppet

Nothing to prove it, but born and raised in s. Cali,,, I know earthquake weather, and it is just as you explain,,,
    Really hot when it shouldn't be, very balmy when it shouldn't be, and very still wind, when it shouldn't be.. thats earthquake weather. Think of alabama weather in so. cal,, thats an earthquake waiting to happen

• LoisAlene

Never heard of it. We get earthquakes up here in WA state all the time, rain or shine. The last one that did a significant amount of damage happened in the middle of winter (Feb.). It was not hot or humid or still that day, in fact it was cold and damp. I am really doubtful that such a connection exists.
    All in All I'd STILL rather live where we get earthquakes every so often and there isn't an "earthquake season".

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!!

Seriously...we do not need to be thinking earthquake thoughts. Stop it!

And as for the weather, it isn't usually cool it is warm and still.

• Gay Man

Oh, I'm very familiar with "Earthquake Weather". 80% of the earthquakes that I've experienced happened either during a day of or after a day of "earthquake weather". But, I've also experienced a lot more days of "earthquake weather" where there was no earthquake, so.....there you have it.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry

No. I believe more in the lunar pull on earth causing quakes more than "earthquake weather".

• insufferable know-it-all

Hate to sound superstitious, but yeah, I do kinda believe in earthquake weather. It's like, when the weather flip flops too much - cool for weeks, then suddenly warm. I've never noticed "still" but I can't recall winds around the time of any earthquakes I remember either, so possibly.

That isn't to say there aren't quakes during non-earthquake weather times. I don't remember earthquake weather around the Northridge earthquake - then again, I don't remember it being particularly cold once the sun came up, and it WAS January... hmm....

Scientists think it's bunk - but it sure feels like it's true. Then again, scientists thought the chicken soup thing was bunk for a long time too - till they discovered it's true.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Artsy Fartsy

Yes being from the Bay we have that silly superstition instilled in us. I personally don't belive in it. I have'nt had any reason to. But it the conditions on October 17th in 1989 were a little like what you decribed.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I grew up in the Bay Area(Fremont)so I grew up hearing about Earthquake Weather. But it was more of an explanation of the weather we were having rather than actually thinking an earthquake was upon us

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry
    I guess it could be considered a superstition.

I'm not superstitious, but... Don't talk about it... Its bad luck.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

I'm with O'nut here- lunar pull more than weather. Unless the weather is caused by the same thing that causes earthquakes to shake loose... then I might believe it. I've only been here a few years, and the Northridge quake was the only large one I've felt and I wasn't paying much attention to the weather that morning...
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• love my friends

I dont believe in earthquake weather, since I have moved to SO cal I have been through 5 earthquakes.. (in the past 6 years), and they all have happened during different weather patterns

•   
    • So fetch

I'm SoCal girl to the core and this is the first time I've heard of earthquake weather. The last biggie I felt was the Yucaipa one and it was hot as heck that day. I would consider that normal since it was during the summer.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

So. Cali. girl all my life, and I specifically remember being in third grade and having a group of parents come into the classroom to tell us about earthquake safety and they talked about "earthquake weather" and "earthquake season". I'm pretty sure it was all just...well....crap...to make us more aware that these things can happen at any time...but I do still get freaked out when the weather goes from hot...to cold...to hot....kinda like this morning.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast