Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• See what I got?

9/11- Can You Believe It's Been 4 Years Already?How has/Has this changed our culture?

I for one can't. I review the footage around this time on the internet so that those who died aren't forgotten. It really brings back how awful the whole thing was. Any thoughts on how that has changed our culture, if at all?

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: 9/11- Can You Believe It's Been 4 Years Already?How has/Has this changed our culture?

I for one am sick of hearing about it. Too many people bringing it up repeatedly over the last 4 years to serve their own ends (politics, marketing, ANYTHING). I just don't want to hear about it or comemmorate it anymore. Sick of the whole thing.

And sick of bag checks at the DL gates.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: 9/11- Can You Believe It's Been 4 Years Already?How has/Has this changed our culture?

Wow, thats a pretty strong reaction coming from ya Goonie.

I do agree with you about too many people using it for political/marketing/whatever reasons and feel that should be stopped. Granted it's a downer to relive it every year too but I hardly think forgetting that nearly 3,000 people died because of some extremist beliefs is a reason not to remember or not wanting to hear about it anymore.

In talking to my mom about 12/7 (Pearl Harbor Day for those who don't know) she said that in time people made less of a big deal of it, especially after WW2 ended in 1945, but that there was and is to this day always something to remind us in the media what happened that day. Same will hold true for 9/11.

• insufferable know-it-all

Sorry, didn't mean to be a threadkillah, but that's my opinion about 9/11. Not saying it's unimportant, just that because of the overexposure to it, I'm sick of the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong... it IS important. I've watched that documentary done by the two French guys from inside the WTC and it's traumatic. The 9/11 thing is a major, major deal in our history.

But it's been shoved down my throat so many times that my willingness to let it continue to affect me has had to disappear.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: 9/11- Can You Believe It's Been 4 Years Already?How has/Has this changed our cult

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I for one am sick of hearing about it. Too many people bringing it up repeatedly over the last 4 years to serve their own ends (politics, marketing, ANYTHING). I just don't want to hear about it or comemmorate it anymore. Sick of the whole thing.

9/11 was a great tragedy, I remember shedding tears when it happened. I really felt, and still do feel for all the people that were affected by it.

All that aside, I agree with you Morrigoon.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Banned User

Re: 9/11- Can You Believe It's Been 4 Years Already?How has/Has this changed our cult

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I for one am sick of hearing about it.

I just don't want to hear about it or comemmorate it anymore.

Sick of the whole thing.

And sick of bag checks at the DL gates.

• Disney Memory Maker

I will never forget September 11th. I was especially reminded of it recently during the Peter Jennings Tribute (when they showed us how he went 62 hours on air straight). It's so weird hearing the tapes and videos where the people literally had no clue what was going on. When the first tower collapsed, the reporter told Jennings what happened. Jennings just couldn't believe what happened (he kept saying "you mean a few floors collapsed?")

I think this has changed our culture more than any other event since the Cold War. I also don't like when people just say 9/11 like it's a word and not an event.

-Michael
    Last edited by TheDisneyInquisitor; 09-11-2005 at 06:11 AM.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

i'm going to be watch the A&E special sunday night at 9pm called the flight that fought back. WOW and it ends at 11, what a coincidence.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

honestly, you can show me all the footage you want, but it's the voice recordings of the people who were killed during the attack that really gets to me.

• See what I got?

That day was really scary and I remember being glued to the news all day long, because you just didn't know if there was anything more that was going to happen. I watched the footage shot inside the WTC. A sound that I will never forget was the sound they said was the people landing who had jumped. It was a tragic, tragic day for everyone.

• My laughing place

Sadly I dont think it has affected out national security the way you would think a tragedy of that magnitude should. Our security precautions are still way too relaxed. An example: I heard on the news the other night that the dealine requiring people who are entering the United States from South America to have a passport has been pushed back another year. That means a terrorist simply has to travel to South America then fly into the U.S. and no passport is required !!

• Princess in training

I wasn't going to say anything, but I just have to.
    I don't know where everyone else is from, but I'm from NYC.. and I feel like it was just the other day.. I almost lost 2 family members, but amazingly they are still alive. I have friends that went and helped recover bodies. I can see the skyline from my house and it haunts me every time I go outside and I don't see the towers.. its horrible.. I can close my eyes and still see it all.. and then that same year the plane crash on Novemeber 11th was around the corner from me..
    It has changed me forever.. I live my life totally different now. The end of 2001 wasn't too great for me, but I have learned from it, and that makes it just a little better.

That's my 2 cents..

• white and nerdy

As far as overexposer goes, I've never really cared what other people say or do about anything. I hold certian things close to my heart and just don't let the opinions or overplay or underplay of those things affect how I feel.

9/11.... I can't really put into words how I feel about it. I know it's been four years, but I still feel as if I don't have a true perspective of it. It took Stephen King over two decades to write a book that explained how he felt about vietnam and the 60's in general. That's kind of how I feel.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• no flash photography...

I will always remember it...like most people old enough to remember it, but I refuse to dwell on it. ...

• Wonderful World

I will never forget it.Watching the whole thing unfold with my grandma when I was 12.I think this has affected society MAJORLY.It created 2 war.If that day never happened we would not be in the war in the Middle East.Plain and simple
    I'm back MiceChat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast