Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving Habits

• Missing an Angel

I have a habit when I drive. I got it from my grandpa. You see, after waiting at a red light and being the first car to go when the light turned green he would always wait about 5 seconds before going. I asked him why he did that and he replied, "So in case someone blows the light.. we won't get hit." So now I do the same.

Anyone else have driving habits that are a little strange?
    Last edited by Scurvy Pirate; 12-03-2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Wasn't my dad. Was my grandpa.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Re: Driving Habits

I do that too, I wait 3 seconds after the green light.
    I always drive the speed limit, 3 - 5 mph faster at times.
    I have a bad habit of badmouthing people from the inside of my car, I seem to think they can hear me babbling.
    Last edited by MsSarah; 12-08-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Edited thoughts...
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

that's not strange; it's smart.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Winter in Oceanside...

Agree that it is not strange at all. I do that too. Just smart driving.

• Senior Minion

I do the same thing, although i've noticed that these days, the people behind you don't like it and as soon as that light turns, if you aren't moving already, they will blast their horn to no end.
    Some people are too impatient to stop for a second for safety.

Also, when pulling out of a street around a corner, I stop at the stop sign, then stop again just past it so that I can see better if any cars are coming. It drives my dad nuts, but oh well.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I dunno if this is a habit or just plain wierd, but when I drive I always think about being in an accident, which makes me extra careful and hyperalert of other drivers. The only accident I've ever been in has been when it was nowhere in my mind, so now I'm convinced that I'll be in a grisly wreck unless I'm worrying about it. I know, it's kind of psycho.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Agreeing on the smart thing.

I drive on the slower end. And when I stop suddenly I reach of the passanger seat with my right arm to sorta' block them from going forward. Drives people nuts.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Agreeing on the smart thing.

I drive on the slower end. And when I stop suddenly I reach of the passanger seat with my right arm to sorta' block them from going forward. Drives people nuts.

Omg, my mom use to do that to me when she would drive - seriously that was one thing that I couldn't stand.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I drive conservatively, too. And lately, I've been especially careful because nobody seems to remember how to work a 4-way stop these days. It's just a free-for-all, apparently! There's an intersection near the school where I teach that terrifies me every day because either all the cars decide to go at once, or someone just blows through without stopping at all.
    A signature should go here.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

When anyone takes a drink, I always let off the gas pedal hoping they start coughing and gagging on their drink.

• Missing an Angel

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    When anyone takes a drink, I always let off the gas pedal hoping they start coughing and gagging on their drink.
    Too funny.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Scurvy Pirate View Post
    I have a habit when I drive. I got it from my grandpa. You see, after waiting at a red light and being the first car to go when the light turned green he would always wait about 5 seconds before going. I asked him why he did that and he replied, "So in case someone blows the light.. we won't get hit." So now I do the same.

Anyone else have driving habits that are a little strange?
    Waiting a few seconds isn't that strange. What bugs me is the people who sit there for at least 10-20 seconds (I've counted) before they finally go because they're not paying attention. I sometimes have to sit through another 5 minute light because of those bozos.

• Splash/Mansion/Big Boats

Hmm, after reading these replies my conclusion is that I am one of the very few people here who don't wait after a car in front of me takes off.

When I'm the first car in an intersection, I watch the lights on the other side and when theirs turns red I look to the left and right to make sure everyone is stopped and no one is going to blow through, and then I push the pedal to the metal and try to shift up to the speed limit as fast as I can. I only do this when I'm the only one in the car, as I don't want to freak out any passengers.

I hear that it does a toll on your transmission if you accelerate too fast, but I had to replace the transmission on the car when I first got it, so I'm pretty sure that it'll still be in good condition when I get a new car.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I do everything in my power NOT to be stuck behind Camry drivers. Is that a driving habit?

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by tj9991 View Post
    Hmm, after reading these replies my conclusion is that I am one of the very few people here who don't wait after a car in front of me takes off.

When I'm the first car in an intersection, I watch the lights on the other side and when theirs turns red I look to the left and right to make sure everyone is stopped and no one is going to blow through,
    I don't wait at green lights either. I can just look at the cars and tell they are stopped before my light turns green. You can also tell who will blow through the light by their speed approaching the intersection...in those cases I do wait.

I'm guessing my most annoying driving habit to others is going the speed limit ot 2 to 3 mph above it. this really seems to annoy A LOT of people. To be honest i don't really care.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast