Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Pearl Harbor - December 7, 1941 - Never Forget

Pearl Harbor commemoration to focus on US response - Yahoo! News

Of course, the bombing of Pearl Harbor happened 30 years before I was born, so I don't have any personal experiences to share. However, my late Grandpa Rex had enlisted in the US Army in 1939 and served in WW2. As well, my late Grandmother worked in Army Hospitals during WW2.

9/11 is the "Pearl Harbor" of our generation.....

Thank you to all those that served and continue to serve our Great Nation. May we never forget Pearl Harbor.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Pearl Harbor - December 7, 1941 - Never Forget

Thanks for the reminder. My grandpa is also a WWII veteran.
    A signature should go here.

• Thank you, that is all.

My Dad enlisted in the Navy when he was just 17. He was sent to Punene Naval Air Station on Maui to be an Aviation Radio Man Striker. He was at the radio on August 15, 1945 when the news came in from Central Command that the war was over. After he informed his Commanding Officer of the important news, my Dad asked him if he could have the flag that hung outside on the pole that day. I have that flag now.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I should call my grandpa. It's getting harder and harder to find vets from WW2, so if anyone knows one, talk to them and learn from them.

This is Pearl (named after the USS Pearl Harbor, which was named after duh...) with Pearl Harbor vets.

• Directly directed

My grandpa enlisted after Pearl harbor. It's an important day to remember.

• GO DBACKS!!

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    I should call my grandpa. It's getting harder and harder to find vets from WW2, so if anyone knows one, talk to them and learn from them.
    This is SO true. They were "The Greatest Generation". My dad was also in the Army from 1941 - 1961. His stories were very interesting, so, we have a lot to learn from this generation that is quickly becoming obsolete.

• Senior Minion

Both of my grandpa's were in WWII, one never talked about it and threw overboard on the way home everything he had earned while over there. The other doesn't remember too much but occasionally tells a story or two about it. He found a flag (Japanese flag) that was decorated with names and drawings (How I don't remember) when he was over there and he gave that to us.
    I also have 1 brother overseas now and 1 family member going in January.

I still thank them for serving our country.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Disappearing/Reappearing

My uncle served in WW2, My father served in Vietnam, and my husband currently serves and will be deploying in less than a month.

Seeing people thankful for past service and present service, brings joy to my heart. It takes something special to serve your country, and I am truly, truly thankful for those who have and those who do. God bless you all.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

My son Steven serves aboard the USS O'Kane, which is home ported at Pearl Harbor. The ship left just a week after he reported for duty, so he didn't have time to find a place to live. The O'Kane is currently in the 5th fleet area of operations (Indian Ocean, Persian Gulf, etc.) and is due back at Pearl in February.

After he gets settled in, we'll have to pay him a visit.

My dad, uncle, and stepfather all served in the Navy during WWII, but I have few details, other than the first two were doctors and the third was on a minesweeper.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

All such interesting stories - indeed.

As I stated, my Grandpa Rex (1918-2000) served in the US Army from 1939 until 1944 when he was honorably discharged because of hearing loss. my Grandma Ginny (Virginia) (1919-2002) served in an Army Hospital in the 1940's up until she 'made a break for Hollywood', as I used to say - she moved to Los Angeles in 1945. My great Uncles all served the country during World War 2.

My wife's late Grandpa Robert was actor, Victor Mature's commanding officer. Her other Grandpa (passed on) was friendly with Error Flynn during WW2 - we have photos of both Grandpa's with both movie stars during the war. Interesting....

I don't know of any Actors these days willing to risk their lives and serve there country. The WW2 Generation was a very special generation, indeed.

• Circle of Ancients

I vividly remember going to visit Pearl Harbor on December 8, 1990 (the day after Pearl Harbor day). Even to a 15 y/o kid, it had a VERY profound effect on me.

I think the thing I miss most about having my grandfather, and Belle's grandfather around are the stories about their experiences in WWII. Both were stationed in the pacific. I could just sit for hours and hours and listen to these two incredible men tell their stories. Even when they started repeating the same stories in their later years, they were still great.

• no flash photography...

My grandfather served in europe, he jumped out of planes..."paratrooper" IDK, he dosen't talk much about the war and the few stories he has shared were absolutely horrifying. I feel bad for him.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

^^^ ^^^

Points well taken, DD.

My best friend's father was part of the D-Day invasion. I would have loved to hear some of his stories. But he long before had stopped talking about it...the memories, still too painful.

We must never forget the meaning of dates like December 7, 1941.

And if you've never read "Flags Of Our Fathers" or seen the movie, I heartily recommed both.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Thank you, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I vividly remember going to visit Pearl Harbor on December 8, 1990 (the day after Pearl Harbor day). Even to a 15 y/o kid, it had a VERY profound effect on me.

I think the thing I miss most about having my grandfather, and Belle's grandfather around are the stories about their experiences in WWII. Both were stationed in the pacific. I could just sit for hours and hours and listen to these two incredible men tell their stories. Even when they started repeating the same stories in their later years, they were still great.
    Please! Get a journal and write down every story you can remember, so that you'll be able to give that to your children and they to thiers. That's what my father did, and I treasure that journal with all my heart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast