Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Ways To Make Time 'Fly' On Airplanes?

I am leaving for Florida in 7 days and I am deathly afraid of airplanes. It's going to be about a 5 hour flight from Los Angeles to Miami and I'm not sure what to do to occupy myself. I can't sleep on planes and am easily bored with constantly listening to my iPod. Reading is out of the question because when I read, my mind wonders and starts to freak me out.

Hopefully you guys can give me some tips to relax & stay occupied during the flight.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: Ways To Make Time 'Fly' On Airplanes?

Benadryl

You won't have any problems sleeping, that's for sure... of course, waking up will be an entirely different challenge!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

a DS or PSP is handy, as is an iPod or portalbe DVD player

that's usually in our plane ride arsenal
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Banned User

I also have a hard time flying, because I am claustrophobic. I bought a portable DVD player and bring a ton of movies. Also magazines, those don't require much attention, and, occupy my mind. It doesn't hurt that I also have Xanax to help me rest.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Read. Nap. Watch a movie. Listen to music. But whatever you do, don't think about that engine falling off, or metal fatigue. Those would be bad.

Seriously though, I love flying. Love it. In fact sometimes I book a ticket just to fly for the day. It's true! Think of it as a magical experience. Plus, think of the end result, your vacation!

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I'm not afraid of flying, but I do get antsy (and can't sleep on planes), and hate long flights for that reason. I usually take tons of entertainment with me: magazines, puzzle books, video games, a book, snacks, anything that will keep me occupied. You could also download a couple of movies to your IPod or bring a portable DVD player and some movies.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Take something that will calm your nerves, maybe some calming tea the day before and the day you leave so that you're not so anxious. Tazo Calm is a good one and calmed me way down every day during a very nerve wracking speech class this last semester. That, paired with some all natural Kava Kava, (you can buy this in liquid form or in capsules at a natural foods store) works like a dream.
    Really that's the best advice I can give because you need to target the root of your anxiety first. Once you are calmer, it will be easier to read, watch a movie or even nap. Good luck with everything!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Banned User

If you are SUPER anxious, like you could have an anxiety attack...go see the doc and he will give you a couple of happy pills. One for the trip there and one for the trip home.

• Sock Puppet

I usually think on airplanes... but if you are nervous then thats obviously not what you want to be doing I guess.

Maybe try sketching or bringing along some sort of puzzle from the newspaper or something... I guess that would be especially helpful if you don't usually do puzzles or draw because it would probably take a lot more effort and mindpower.

• World Traveler

Are you coming to Miami for a cruise?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I was anxious, before my 4 hour flight to California from Chicago. I always ask for an aisle seat, because that way, I don't feel all cooped up on the plane. Before, I left, I put brand new playlists of music on my ipod. I also have a small journal, that I write in for my Disneyland trips. I try not to overpack, so the bag at my feet doesn't also cramp my space. I know they tell you to get to the airport 2 hours before your flight, but timing it for a little bit shorter than that, will cut down on your anxious feelings.

iPods are nice because they are small, and don't take up a lot of space. That's the most annoying thing on a plane, the space. I don't eat much before a flight, because that just makes me more nervous. I know other people have a big meal before they fly. That all depends on your own personal choice of comfort. I don't want to have to get up and use the airplane bathroom more than once during a flight.

I was fortunate on my recent flight. The plane was only about 2/3 full, and I had an entire row to myself.

I do take some hard candy, to keep my mouth moist,

I also can't sleep due to the noise of the plane. I wish that I could. I also make sure that I am dressed warm enough, because sometimes the planes are cold.

It helps, if the inflight movie is a good one. That helps to pass the time.

I wish you a safe, and happy flight.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Watch a movie or a TV show, I recommend the following:

Fight Club
    Lost
    Airplane!
    Snakes on a Plane
    The High and The Mighty
    Red Eye
    Final Destination
    and
    Alive

All of them should put you at ease
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    Watch a movie or a TV show, I recommend the following:

Fight Club
    Lost
    Airplane!
    Snakes on a Plane
    The High and The Mighty
    Red Eye
    Final Destination
    and
    Alive

All of them should put you at ease
    Alive will make you look at your cabin mates in a totally different light.

Try relaxing breathing. I can PM you the technique I have that helps (faucet, bubble, etc). I bring knitting with me, pending the airline allows it. I think cicular wood needles are still okay or bring like size 50 plastic needles and knit something for charity. I notice if I put my mind of helping other people things get less scary. Maybe you could bring an aromatherapy stuffed bear or something. That helps a lot of people.

Good luck!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I don't really like to fly either, but I've done some things that pass the time quickly.

One thing that helps calm me is I turn on the air vents above and have them blowing on my face, the cool air soothes me, that's a personal preference however, it may or may not work for you.

Also, I take puzzle books (as others have suggested), my mind wanders when I read as well sometimes so a puzzle book keeps you occupied and not so focused that your mind wanders. Fill Ins are my personal favorite.

Any kind of brain working activity is fine, I also enjoy Brain Age on the Nintendo DS but I'm sure there are some excellent brain books at your local Barnes N Noble.

Hope your trip goes well!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I haven't flown in over 7 years. But back in the day before iPods and portable DVD players, I kept myself occupied listening to my walkman, reading and playing with my old, original Gameboy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast