Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• For old time sake

The best and worst places to live

A local radio show here in the Greensboro area listed the top 10 places people would like to live and least like to live in the US. Ironically New Yourk City was #1 on both lists and Las Vegas and Los Angeles made both lists.

This got me thinking:

Where would you most like to live in the US? Where would you least like to live?

What is great about where you currently live? What do you like the least?

For me I would say it's a toss up. I really enjoyed visiting Minneapolis last summer. Their State fair is wonderful, my family's version of humidity pales in comparison to the humidity here, and it's very laid back. However, the cold and snow probably would draw me away from living there.

I would not like living in CA again. I was born and raised there and this last visit, just sealed the deal for me. I was accustomed to the traffic, and what not having only ever known that in my life, but now I am spoiled being here in NC. I was so nervous driving around out there and I still remember how much planning you have to do just to go places on the weekend (due to traffic). I still LOVE CA, don't get me wrong. I told DH the only things I miss in CA are: Family, friends, Disneyland, In N Out Burger and good mexican food

What is good about where I live? Spring is gorgeous, fall is beautiful, people are really nice, you can drive anywhere within a few hours (Williamsburg, Washington DC, Myrtle Beach, the Mountains Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, etc). Sure it takes longer to get to the beach, but again, not as crowded and virtually no traffic. The drawbacks? No Disneyland, 3 hours to the beach, hot HUMID summers.

While I tend to joke about rednecks and such and "Well it IS North Carolina", I realized how much I really do love it here.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Re: The best and worst places to live

Portland Oregon!
    I just need to get done with the college program first.

• aka the scorpion eater!

I love it here in Phoenix but I would move back to southern California if I could afford it but the high cost of living keeps me staying here!

But i wouldnt want to live anywhere with snow... even here in AZ I make it a priority not to go up to Flagstaff unless its in the middle of summer because it does snow up there and is way too cold... lol!

• Circle of Ancients

I really like where I currently live. About 50 miles north of downtown LA along the coast. It's close enough to things, but far enough that it doesn't feel like I'm in the middle of the hustle and bustle. It's the high cost of living that get's us thinking of moving. If we could live here with a cost of living elsewhere, it'd be perfect.

If I could choose to live anywhere else, it would be Orlando.

• coco puff/chanel

Blog Entries

Hubby and I are planning on moving to Portland, Oregon when our kids get older. I love San Diego but it is getting way too crowded here for me. I was born and raised here so this is the only place I have ever known to live but I am over it now.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I would love to live in CA again. Traffic is the only drawback to living there, though it is a huge issue. If not then Orlando. The biggest issue there is the huge bugs LOL. I love humidity. There are several other places I wouldn't mind living and hopefully I'll end up somewhere I want to be, someday.

I live in NY and I love having fall again. I also love that the grocery store, post office, and tons of restaurants are all very close - and I don't have to go on a freeway to get to them The bad is all the snow/freezing rain, THE COLD, the stuck up people, the icy roads, a horrible government,.... etc. It also represents a major failure for me (in moving back to a state I swore to never live in again... I wasn't counting on falling in love with someone who lived in NY lol)

NY is as expensive as CA so that's a wash. Though we can *barely* afford a decent house here, where there we probably wouldn't be able to afford one.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Senior Minion

I'd love to live in California again. Exactly where I lived before. 7 hour drive from DL, but that's ok. It was a great neighborhood, good school district, always something to do around there. I wasn't too far from places like Truckee, so I could still go up to the snow on occasion. Great places to go camping at, etc.

What do I like about living in Ohio? Not much. Just the fact that we do get some snow (and not much due to proximity to Ohio river ).

Hate about Ohio? Almost everything. Can't go downtown or near it because of high crime/gang violence, if it rains, people forget how to drive, people seem to think driving in the snow/ice is fun, so they speed along when you are being cautious. In the winter, everything closes so there is never anything to do! Most places close around Halloween and don't open up till late April. I hate humidity!!!!! I also hate the Cicada invasion we get every year!! Those suckers freak me out!!!
    Last edited by Joshrzmeup; 01-08-2009 at 12:33 PM.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Ideally Vancouver, B.C., but we're talking the U.S. so....

To live: Santa Barbara.

Not to live: Probably anywhere it's hot and humid in the summertime.

What do I like about where I live: close to family and friends and the beach and extracurricular activities.

What do I NOT like about where I live: the neighborhood isn't all that great, and I wish L.A. had a better subway/light rail system.

• aka the scorpion eater!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    I live in NY and I love having fall again. I also love that the grocery store, post office, and tons of restaurants are all very close - and I don't have to go on a freeway to get to them The bad is all the snow/freezing rain, THE COLD, the stuck up people, the icy roads, a horrible government,.... etc. It also represents a major failure for me (in moving back to a state I swore to never live in again... I wasn't counting on falling in love with someone who lived in NY lol)
    So it is true... people do move to New York for the two L's... Labels and Love! I love sex and the city; though I wonder how much of an accurate potrayal it really is on New York life? I mean not every group of women is made up of 4 singles taking charge of their own lives.

Anyhow, we have a lot of New Yorkers here in Phoenix... it seems people who leave New York always find their way into Phoenix... My Supervisor at work was from Brooklyn, My supervisor before that was from Queens, then 3 of the security guards in our building used to be NYPD officers, and another co worker at one time lived in Manhattan and then moved out here [though she was originally from the Phillipines and has lived all over the world]... but maybe its just me but a majority of people in our office have been in New York in some time of their life or another.

As for myself I have yet to visit but I hear so much wonderful stuff... especially about my supervisor who said she went to Times Square only once out of her life for New Years Eve and said to me that while it may be a mad house everyone should do it just once!

• MC State Comptroller

It's a toss up really. I would love to live in my old neighborhood in Eagle Rock, CA. But its kinda of too crime and hippie ridden for my taste. I would really prefer to live on the coast of Southern California. No particular city.

I don't think i would like to live in Las Vegas. I love visiting it and I love to gamble, but to live there would be bad.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Winter in Oceanside...

I love where I live now - northern San Diego county. Perfect weather, on a beach, laid back lifestyle, close enough to Disneyland. The drawbacks: it is California and therefore expensive but I've lived in Calif all my life so I am used to expensive housing. We are also far from family.

Would not want to live anywhere in the humid, bug filled southern states. I'll take the cold of the north before having to deal with sticky, wet, humid, moldy, buggy, southern living. But I adore the people of the south - kind hearted sweet people for the most part!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm pretty much where I want to be now.

What I like about Clearwater is it's a small city with a big city feel. Everything is within reasonable driving distance (10-15 minutes). When I lived in Tampa, it took me at least a half hour to get anywhere in town. Plus we got one of the best beaches in Florida, if not the world.

What I don't like about Clearwater? Without going too off tangent... it's one of the "Meccas" for those whack-a-doodle Scientologists. They have one of their "churches" downtown. But I won't say anymore about that.

• Minion

Blog Entries

I have lived a lot of places... California, Georgia, Alabama, Nevada... And out of all the places I have lived Vegas is my favorite... I love the atmosphere here... I left Vegas to move back to California and yeah I missed Vegas the whole time... I am soo happy to be back...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I love living in Irvine. It's a beautiful, very clean, and very safe place to live. The only thing I dislike about it is the cost of living here. It's damn expensive, but you pay for what you get, IMO.

If I had to choose anywhere else in America, I'd pick Juneau, Alaska. I've never seen such a clean, wild city before in my life.

I definitely would not like to live in Vegas, or anywhere that has hurricanes on a regular basis.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

I'd love to live in Victoria B.C. or in Montreal... Sydney would be amazing too.

But strictly speaking in American terms, San Francisco. I'd love to live there.

I'm surprised Vegas made the list. I lived there for 6 years and hated every moment of it. I could rant for hours on that city *shakes head*. Couldn't pay me to live there again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast