Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Post your favorite Calvin and Hobbes

Transcript:

Calvin: Dad, how come old photographs are always black and white? Didn't they have color film back then?
    Dad: Sure they did. In fact, those old photographs are in color. It's just the world was black and white then.
    Calvin: Really?
    Dad: Yep. The world didn't turn color until sometime in the 1930s, and it was pretty grainy color for a while, too.
    Calvin: That's really weird.
    Dad: Well, truth is stranger than fiction.
    Calvin: But then why are old paintings in color?! If their world was black and white, wouldn't artists have painted it that way?
    Dad: Not necessarily. A lot of great artists were insane.
    Calvin: But... but how could they have painted in color anyway? Wouldn't their paints have been shades of gray back then?
    Dad: Of course, but they turned colors like everything else did in the '30s.
    Calvin: So why didn't old black and white photos turn color too?
    Dad: Because they were color pictures of black and white, remember?

Calvin: The world is a complicated place, Hobbes.
    Hobbes: Whenever it seem that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• My cuties!

re: Post your favorite Calvin and Hobbes

Oh I have too many favorites to post! It was the perfect comic strip.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I can't find an image of it online, but March 26, 1989 was my favorite ever:

Mom opens the bedroom door and tells him to get out of bed, he's going to miss the bus. He stands at the blackboard doing a math problem. Miss Wormwood tells him to sit down if he doesn't know the answer. Moe holds him up by his shirt, clenches his fist, and asks Calvin if he wants to see if there's an afterlife. As Calvin tries to go out his bedroom window, he's told he can't go out to play until his homework is done. Calvin stirs his dinner, and Dad tells him just to eat it and not to play with it. Mom tells him to quit stalling and to take his bath. Dad turns off the TV and tells him he can't stay up later and to go to bed. Mom comes in after Calvin climbs in bed. She kisses his forehead and tells Calvin to get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow's another big day. After the light is turned out, Calvin sighs.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Oh I have way too many favorites.

I love all his twisted snowman ones.

And the one where they're playing classical records at 78 RPM.

And the one where Calvin climbs out his bedroom window, goes to a payphone, calls home and says, "Hi Dad! It's 4am. Do you know where I am?"

And the one where Calvin puts on his dad's glasses and does a a dead-on impression of him.

I wish they did an animated version of this strip. It would have been a huge hit.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

I was actually thinking about putting a Calvin and Hobbes strip in my signature, but I have no clue how to find the images online or if there's a site full of them. So I guess I will have to take a picture of it out of my book.

I'll post my favorite one in a few.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post

Mom opens the bedroom door and tells him to get out of bed, he's going to miss the bus. He stands at the blackboard doing a math problem. Miss Wormwood tells him to sit down if he doesn't know the answer. Moe holds him up by his shirt, clenches his fist, and asks Calvin if he wants to see if there's an afterlife. As Calvin tries to go out his bedroom window, he's told he can't go out to play until his homework is done. Calvin stirs his dinner, and Dad tells him just to eat it and not to play with it. Mom tells him to quit stalling and to take his bath. Dad turns off the TV and tells him he can't stay up later and to go to bed. Mom comes in after Calvin climbs in bed. She kisses his forehead and tells Calvin to get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow's another big day. After the light is turned out, Calvin sighs.
    It's hard to be a kid. I try to remember this when I teach every day.

Calvin and Hobbes totally got my son interested in reading when he was a reluctant third grader!
    A signature should go here.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

OMG. I can't thank you enough for posting that!

That is my absolutely favorite Calvin and Hobbes comic strip! Every time I go to a book store I thumb through the Calvin and Hobbes books and I can't find it.

Thank you so much!

• surrealistic.

I was lucky enough to find mine.

Reminds me of my mom and brother sometimes. :]

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Minion

My favorite (I wish I could find it) goes like this: Calvin's dad is in the garage working on his bike. Having gotten it in order, he braves traffic to a local trail. He subsequently crashes by hitting a rock on a downhill run. Battered, bleeding, and with his bike in pieces, Calvin's dad says to himself: "The secret to enjoying your job is to have a hobby that is even worse."

My current favorite strip is Frazz, by Jef Mallett. Some fans say Frazz is like a grown-up Calvin, and Jef admits he was inspired by Watterson.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    And the one where Calvin climbs out his bedroom window, goes to a payphone, calls home and says, "Hi Dad! It's 4am. Do you know where I am?"

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

That's the one! Classic.

I wish I could find the one of Calvin in his dad's glasses though. That one really cracked me up for some reason.

Blog Entries

I managed to find two of my favorite ones!

This happens A LOT in my household:

• Minion

You all do know the artist named the strip for John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes ?

Two of the most depressing people of all time
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post

EDIT: This is fun looking for your favorites.

• Infinitized!

One of the best was the one where Calvin is selling 'Life'. I was trying to find it online but so far I couldn't find it.
    Here's a quick transcript of it from Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_(Calvin_and_Hobbes)
    This is not a machine, but often Calvin has been seen selling things by using his cardboard box as a desk, crudely writing the name of the "product," and the (sometimes) exorbitant price on the side. Calvin has been shown to try and sell a large number of things like this, many are real, overpriced products like crude lemonade (for $15), and random things such as, "A Swift Kick in the Butt." These sales often lead to injury, usually from Calvin's customer to Calvin. For example, Calvin made a concession stand that sold "Life" for 5 cents:
    • SUSIE: Here's a nickel. What do I get?
    • CALVIN: Nothing. I just ripped you off.
    • SUSIE: WHAT?
    • CALVIN: That's life!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast