View Poll Results: How old is too old to Trick or Treat?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll

1 2.63%
  • 11-12

3 7.89%
  • 13-14

14 36.84%
  • 15-16

7 18.42%
  • 16 and up

1 2.63%
  • What? You're never too old- ya grinch!

12 31.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Original Mice-Chatter

Too old to Trick or Treat

What age do you think is too old to go out Trick or Treating?

My sons are 15, 13 and 12. Rose is 5. I can personally see the two youngest actually doing the Trick or Treating- but I can't see the older 2 (Braden is almost 14) dressing up and getting candy. I can see them walking with the younger kids- I can see them getting candy by proxy of being there- but going all out...not so much.

Am I turning into a Halloween Grinch? Maybe the 13 year old is on the edge, but Davis is going to be 16 in February. His motivation for Halloween is sheer gluttony. Maybe he will make plans with his friends and remove the quandry.

What do you all think?

(Rose wants to be Helen of Troy- we saw Troy, she loved it and wants to dress like that for Halloween)

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Re: Too old to Trick or Treat

I think once they hit High School, that's it. But that's just me. I think the last year I trick or treated was 7th grade. We started going to Halloween parties/dances after that.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• insufferable know-it-all

The 12 and 13-year olds will have a rough time of it - some people will be okay with giving them candy, some won't. I'd let them go on their own (together). Then have your oldest take your youngest around. He *might* get some, by virtue of being the good big brother.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

My 14, nearly 15 yr old went out last year w/ the youngers (now 11, 7, and 4). She was Sally, and the other three were Lock, Shock, and Barrel.
    This year, she and a friend are going as Axl Rose and Slash.

Why can't I have normal kids?
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

^^^ It's in their genes Evilfer

Last year Shawn was Peter Pan(again)and Kyler was a Zombie Boy Scout

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

•   
    • So fetch

The last year I went trick or treating I was 16. Luckily the people in my neigborhood weren't buttmunchs like in other 'hoods. Ever year I make sure to give teens that dress up and go trick-or-treating extra candy because I know other houses are stingy.

It seem that trick-or-treating is slowly fading away. Each year it seems less kids are doing it.

• /sigh

I suppose it depends on the kid. If they truely love getting dressed up and the whole nine yards of halloween, then I suppose it couldn't hurt. But if they're merely doing it to bring a truck load of candy...then, simply buy them a bag of candy and let them save the trick or treating for the little one's.

My mom stopped both me and my younger sister when I was about 10 (she was 6), but that was moreso because my mom didn't like halloween. I wasn't too broken hearted though.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Circle of Ancients

I think it's okay for kids to trick or treat with their parents till they'e in 5th grade, then with their friends when they're in 6th-8th grade. After that I think they should just get dressed up and have parties at their friends' houses , but no go trick or treating anymore.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wilema
    I think it's okay for kids to trick or treat with their parents till they'e in 5th grade, then with their friends when they're in 6th-8th grade. After that I think they should just get dressed up and have parties at their friends' houses , but no go trick or treating anymore.
    My son wants to go trick or treating with just his friends this year(he's in 6th grade) but I'm still on the fence about it. I think I'm going to make him go with us one more year and then go on his own with his friends.

We've always gone in a HUGE group with tons of kids, this is the first year that it'll be just us.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• most magical vaca ever

My last trick-or-treating was when I was in the 7th grade. We now have Trunk-or-Treats at school rather than have the kids go door to door. We still go around to a few neighbors but prefer to go to school. I hate when it's 10 pm and HS kids are still ringing the bell!

Trunk or Treat--You have to register your car with your school and then park in the school's parking lot. All must decorate the trunk of their car and then kids go trunk to trunk for their treats. A week before the event the school lets you know how many kids have registered for the event so you can have enough candy/treats-or tricks. It's a lot of fun and gets people more involved with their kids, decorating and having a fun family night.
    ~~~~~~

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

As long as they're in costume, I'll give candy to anyone, no matter the age.

What I hate to see are the teens/pre-teens not in costume and carrying a pillow case. I always say, "And who are you supposed to be?" to which I get the smart response, "Myself." So, for those types, I buy those really nasty and cheap "peanut butter kisses" that are wrapped in orange and black wax paper - kinda like salt water taffy that's peanut flavored. And, they only get one piece.

But, for anyone in costume, I have everything from small toys to good candies.

• I Hug My Tapirs

If someone comes by in costume, I'll give them candy! It's the "sprit" of the event - not the age of the participants that defines Halloween for me.

As for me - I'll just run a block down the street to Food4Less and get myself bags and bags of candy.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• keep moving forward...

it depends... im 17 and i know im going... because im short and can get away with passing myself off as a middle schooler trickortreating for another couple of years . so it really depends on theyre size.

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

Smile Re: Too old to Trick or Treat

Me too.....

I really enjoyed seeing families all dress-up.
    but it use to bother me when parents with babies would came alone. When it was a whole family the babies where dressed for the experience.

I am familiar with most to the neighbor kids and then I have 20ish who I really know and I make special goody bags for them. I don't like when kids are driving to different neighborhood cause it takes away from getting to know more neighbors.

Here is how I fixed my frustration I divide everyone into age groups. Then I order small rings, toys and pencils. Candy is given to who I know but everyone else depends on there age.
    We have a very large porch so grandma and I (always in costume) sit out there with our camera for those great costumes. They take there time to show off there costume and grandma gives out the under 2 non-choking size toy. I figure out the rest, we have given out puzzels, braclets, rings, anything jumping or flying, tatoos, stickers and halloween theme items like pencils. The middle/high school get the pencils.

We have had many be very excited about what we were wearing, what they were getting and if they made the photo taking.
    Parent seem to like no candy and the teens can always use pencils and erasers.

So now we have great Halloween trick or treaters
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• off in lala land

Never too old... In fact I still dress up. I love Halloween, it's the Gay National Holiday!!!
    ...it's been a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast