Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

American National Anthem

With Obama taking office tomorrow, this marks a change in leadership and a change in the direction the country will proceed. Although many of the things that our founding fathers believed in still stand, many more have changed. The anthem as it is now is very beautiful but I don't believe it's the same America. My proposal to you is to rewrite the national anthem, even just pieces, to something that's more recent, something that shows America in all it's glory now, how beautiful you see it.

Francis Scott Key version from wikipedia
    O! say can you see by the dawn's early light
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming.
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
    O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming.
    And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
    Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
    Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
    What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
    As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
    Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
    In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
    'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
    That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
    A home and a country should leave us no more!
    Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
    Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
    Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
    Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.'
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave
    Last edited by MousieMagic; 01-20-2009 at 08:01 AM.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: American National Anthem

I do not like the idea of rewriting the national anthem to reflect a change in political direction. Not one bit.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Banned User

I like the Francis Scott Key version as it stands.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Every element of Francis Scott Key's Star Spangled Banner is directly related to our fight for freedom and independence. He wrote the poem in 1814. It was based on his eye witness acounts of the War of 1812. His verses were later set to music.

The words below were written as Key winessed the bombardment of Fort McHenry.

"And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
    Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

It touched him clear down to his soul when he wondered how it was that the American flag remained standing at Fort Mchenry after the British had intentionally bombarded it all night long. When he arrived to look upon the sight, he was stunned to see our soldiers bodies lieing all around it, while a living soldier still propped it up. They loved our country so much that they took turns holding the flag up and giving their lives freely.

To change the words of the Star Spangled Banner would demean the lives of the soldiers who paid the ultimate price for freedom - a price that no political ideology can ever replace. If we can change our historic patriotic works at a whim, can there ever be any real meaning in anything that we do?
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-20-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

If we were to get a new national anthem, I would not touch the Star Spangled Banner.

I would go for something more along the lines of "O Canada". I'm not Canadian, but I get chills whenever I hear their anthem.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I cry whenever I hear our National Anthem. I have no idea why but once I hear "the bombs bursting in air" my eyes go nuts.

• For old time sake

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    I do not like the idea of rewriting the national anthem to reflect a change in political direction. Not one bit.
    I agree
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I've always felt that the Star Spangled Banner was not an appropriate national anthem for this country and it has nothing to do with the words.

Did you know that the music is not original? And in fact it isn't even an American tune? The music that we all sing when singing the National Anthem comes from an old drinking song from England.

Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner as a poem and did not intend for it to be sung. Years later people started singing it to the melody of "To Anceron In Heaven" (or some title like that) which happened to be popular in English pubs for many years before making its way to America.

Because I would prefer both the words and the music to be purely American, I have always felt another patriotic song would be more appropriate as our anthem. I would propose the National Anthem to be changed to America the Beautiful or, arguably less politically correct, God Bless America.

I'm not saying I hate the National Anthem. If anything my point of view adds even more patriotism to the anthem. I'm just saying that there are some better options out there.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner as a poem and did not intend for it to be sung. Years later people started singing it to the melody of "To Anceron In Heaven" (or some title like that) which happened to be popular in English pubs for many years before making its way to America.
    The song is The Anacreontic Song, with "To Anacreon in Heaven" being the first words.

Personally, I just think it is a lousy song. I had to listen to it every other hour this weekend at work.

• Pathetically Obsessed

The Star Spangled Banner is not a great piece of music (I have a masters degree in music and can say such things with a small amount of authority). It doesn't have a 'classic' melodic line - instead there are large leaps between notes in the melody and a wide range to cover vocally throughout the piece. It's a difficult piece of music for me to listen to normally, but made even worse by the 'vocal gymnastics' and large liberties taken with the time signature by super bowl singers, etc. I'm tired of listening to the pop music take on it and I wish we'd just stick to the straight tune. But now, everyone has to 'out-do' last year's vocalist and drag the thing out. I like it when the crowd starts cheering and drowns the showboating vocalist out for the last phrase.
    I do agree that the Anthem should not be changed, but as you can see, I'm more of a purist in this regard.
    And by the way and more to the op's point, we have another 'national anthem' that's been made more popular since 9/11 - God Bless America. So if you're looking for something new - wasn't it Gershwin who wrote that in the 1920's??
    There you go!
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    I like the Francis Scott Key version as it stands.
    I agree!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredByWalt View Post
    And by the way and more to the op's point, we have another 'national anthem' that's been made more popular since 9/11 - God Bless America. So if you're looking for something new - wasn't it Gershwin who wrote that in the 1920's??
    There you go!
    That was written by Irving Berlin.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

This is the new version that everyone has to sing now:

O say can you see
    Any bedbugs on me?
    And if you can't knock them off
    They will me scare me to death.

Did you know that the music is not original? And in fact it isn't even an American tune? The music that we all sing when singing the National Anthem comes from an old drinking song from England.
    The only truely American form of music is jazz, which had not developed in this country at the time of it's birth.

The practice of borrowing melodies from drinking bar songs is as old as time. Many of the Hymns that are sung today in churches across the world originated as drinking songs. Martin Luther himself collected many of them and re-wrote the lyrics to reflect a more spiritual nature.

I can't help myself, in church I swing my 'phantom' beer stien in rythm to the music durring worship.

That said, I have two requests.

One, let us not rush to tamper with 200 years of American history, for hte sake of 'change'.

and two:
    Let's temper our emotions long enough to see if the new direction the country moves in is a positive one. This country has a lot issues that still need to be delt with, and a new president isn't enough to overcome them.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I've always felt that the Star Spangled Banner was not an appropriate national anthem for this country and it has nothing to do with the words.

Because I would prefer both the words and the music to be purely American, I have always felt another patriotic song would be more appropriate as our anthem. I would propose the National Anthem to be changed to America the Beautiful or, arguably less politically correct, God Bless America.

I'm not saying I hate the National Anthem. If anything my point of view adds even more patriotism to the anthem. I'm just saying that there are some better options out there.
    How do you know that Frances Scott Key didn't intend for his poem to be set to music in the sense that he wouldn't have approved of it? The uplifting patriotic song (both lyrics and tune) has remained revered and popular with the majority of Americans for close to two centuries. If he were alive today, there is no reason to believe that Key would be anything but honored.

I also take issue with your view that pub songs are inapropriate. Do you believe that all forms of drinking are also inapropiate, and that America needs to be purged and cleansed? As has been pointed out by others in this thread, many of our songs from the past were based on pub tunes. Elvis Pressley's song Love Me Tender was base on a Civil War song (Aura Lee) which in turn borrowed a tune from a pub song.

One of the most popular shows in recent television history was set primarily at a pub, called Cheers. It too is a part of Americana. Do you consider this show "inapropriate" as well. That word is hurled around so frequently and loosely by revisionists that I consider the word itself to be "irrelevant".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=6BdJYIXMe1M

("Where Everybody Knows Your Name" by Gary Portnoy and Judy Hart Angelo) - Cheers Lyrics

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
    Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
    and they're always glad you came.
    You wanna be where you can see,
    our troubles are all the same
    You wanna be where everybody knows
    Your name.

You wanna go where people know,
    people are all the same,
    You wanna go where everybody knows
    your name.

Full Lyrics never actually aired

Making your way in the world today
    Takes everything you've got;
    Taking a break from all your worries
    Sure would help a lot.
    Wouldn't you like to get away?

All those night when you've got no lights,
    The check is in the mail;
    And your little angel
    Hung the cat up by it's tail;
    And your third fiance didn't show;

Sometimes you want to go
    And they're always glad you came;
    You want to be where you can see,
    Our troubles are all the same;
    You want to be where everybody knows your name.

Roll out of bed, Mr. Coffee's dead;
    The morning's looking bright;
    And your shrink ran off to Europe,
    And didn't even write;
    And your husband wants to be a girl;

Be glad there's one place in the world
    You want to go where people know,
    People are all the same;
    You want to go where everybody knows your name.

And they're always glad you came...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=qciWEufZ2xA
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-20-2009 at 01:46 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast