• insufferable know-it-all

Cooking with pumpkin

Given the popularity of pumpkin-based foods around here, I thought it might be appropriate to have a pumpkin cooking discussion.

This isn't a recipe, per se, but last year for Halloween, I made a pumpkin cream cheese spread that was SOOOO yummy! I used the pureed canned pumpkin, and some brown sugar, and I believe nutmeg. Mixed it up with some cream cheese and there ya go! Mmmmm.....

Oh, and you can also make Cream of _(veggie)_ soup but sub in pumpkin for the veggie, and season it with some ground ginger.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• For old time sake

Re: Cooking with pumpkin

Yum, morrigoon, I am going to have to try that cream cheese spread.

We need to have a party...soon!!!
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

This reminds me of my friends sister who made pumpkin soup once using a real pumpkin and used the pumpkin to serve the bowls from. Sounds good in theory but the soup apparently ended up being this pumpkin mush that was about the worst thing he had ever tried - lol.

That spread however sounds fabulous!!! What do you spread it on??

OOOOOOOOOO all this pumpkin talk is getting me so excited!!

• The one on the left.

It's only September but now you have me trying to figure out where I put my recipe for pumpkin cheesecake.

Thanks a lot.

Carry on.
    Ooo, heaven is a place on earth.

O-nut: baguette slices. Though I'm sure it'd be equally good on water bagels

And my pumpkin soup rocked.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Here's some good stuff I once posted elsewhere:

Pumpkin Soufflé- 2tbsp butter, melt in saucepan. Add 3 tbsp flour and stir until a paste forms (roux). Add 3/4c milk all at once. Stir til thick and bubbly. Add 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (can substitue this for chocolate chips, strawberry jam, lemon curd, etc).
    Separate 4 eggs. Beat yolks, add pumpkin "sauce" into beaten yolks. Add in Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Allspice, to taste. (or use pre-made pumkin pie spice, but why waste the money if you have the others in your kitchen) Remove from heat, set aside. Beat egg whites and 1/2 tsp vanilla until soft peaks form (tips curl when you remove whisk/beater). Add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form (tips stand up straight). Careful not to over-beat. Add about 1 cup of egg whites into "sauce", then add sauce mixture into the rest of the egg whites (this is because of the heat. Trust me, don't skip this step). Pour batter into 2-quart baking dish that has been greased (butter is best, and sprinkle the sides with a little sugar). Cook in 350 F oven for at least 45 minutes (until a toothpick inserted comes out clean) Try not to open the oven door for at least the first 40 minutes or the souffle may fall.

Pumpkin Cream sauce: 2 tbsp butter, melted in a saucepan. Add 1 tbsp flour, stir. Pour in about (approximate this, I've never measured it) 3/4-1 cup milk. Sauce should be pourable, not watery or pasty. Add in 1-2 tbsp of canned pumpkin (trust me, you still have plenty from that can you bought). Add 3 or so tbsp sugar. Stir. Add in Allspice, Cinnamon, and Nutmeg, to taste.

• Happy Memories

Mmmmmmsounds pumkinlicious...

The only thing i've ever served out of a pumpkin was alcohol. If I remember corectly the drink recipe was Spiced Rum, Apple Cider & Ginger Ale. The Pumpkin was used as a serving bowl, and you can have bits of it floating just for the heck of it. It wasn't too bad. I have since mixed the drink minus the pumkin bowl, but haven't yet repeated that bit of messyness.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

What are water bagels?

I can't wait to make pumpkin bread this year!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

basic bagels. I have no idea why they're sometimes called water bagels (unless there IS some difference between them and plain bagels I'm not aware of)

• /sigh

Krusteaz makes a great pumpkin bread mix! I have one at home..I think I may need to make some!
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"