Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• That's Hawt

Re: Dark Disney Elements

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink
    I think a lot of the darker elements in a movie are lost on a child. It wasn't until I watched WFRR as a teenager that I realized how much stuff was in that movie. That goes for alot of movies I watched as kid.

I loved WFRR as a kid, I just wasn't too bothered by those things. Except the poor shoe in dip, that made me sad. But I think death as a theme in a children's movie is somewhat good for them. I think it might help a child learn to deal with real life death. I might be stretching here, but it seems like a kid who has seen movies that deal with that in a child's forum, like Bambi or Lion King, might have an easier time dealing with the loss of a grandparent or someone like that than a child who has been sheltered from anything like that and was not at all prepared.

Like I said, that might be a stretch, but I think Disney movies have always had darker elements to them and Walt wanted them that way. They were somewhat real life in a fantastical world which I think gave them all much more depth than your typical cartoon.

Oh boy, it is late and I have lost the ability to create an understandable cohesive post, so I think I need to go to bed.

I actually understood that!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Original Mice-Chatter

I was so deeply traumatized by the death of that little squeaky shoe that I drew him- just to bring him back to life.

Literally- that scene haunted me for ages - and I love the movie- but that was so...awful!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    I was so deeply traumatized by the death of that little squeaky shoe that I drew him- just to bring him back to life.
    Thank you Nephythys. That actually makes me feel much better.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    Thank you Nephythys. That actually makes me feel much better.

aww good, I still have him somewhere in a drawing pad.

...and I warned my kids about it. They hated it too-it really is a horrible scene. If the shoe had just been a shoe- it would have been different, but the look of terror and pain on it's face- and the innocence with which it bumped and squeaked against Doom's shoe was just too much. It was literally the murder of an innocent- and it evokes even now too many painful images in this far too brutal world.

• =)

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. The ride at DL...so scary...that dream sequence...kind of Roger-Rabbit-esque, but even more disturbing and twisted.

I didn't care for WFRR either. It was okay, I suppose, but it didn't draw me in like it could have. The dark elements felt out of place. And Jessica Rabbit has NO place in a Disney film.

One of my favorite songs in Beauty is "If I Can't Love Her". Another is "Home". Definitely dark moments.

I think the dark moments help the stories. They do seem to be more polarized in the more modern shows but without the dark, what does the light have to make it grow? There needs to be conflict of some kind.

Neph, I'm glad you brought the shoe back to life.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister
    And Jessica Rabbit has NO place in a Disney film.
    She's not bad...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I wonder if WFRR was just a Disney movie because why would WB and all the other animation studios let Disney use their characters?

• The Candidate

I think that it is actually an Amblin (Steven Spielberg) film. Touchstone was just the distributor.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I loved WFRR as a kid, I just wasn't too bothered by those things. Except the poor shoe in dip, that made me sad. But I think death as a theme in a children's movie is somewhat good for them. I think it might help a child learn to deal with real life death. I might be stretching here, but it seems like a kid who has seen movies that deal with that in a child's forum, like Bambi or Lion King, might have an easier time dealing with the loss of a grandparent or someone like that than a child who has been sheltered from anything like that and was not at all prepared.

Like I said, that might be a stretch, but I think Disney movies have always had darker elements to them and Walt wanted them that way. They were somewhat real life in a fantastical world which I think gave them all much more depth than your typical cartoon.
    Thats true. Because in order to feel the sympathy of a good guy, death or abandonment are the best way to gain that. Plus there are so many children and adults who have lost their parents and find that they can relate to the characters. The Disney films helps those people out by showing that even with the death of a loved one, they should remain strong and determined throughout the whole ordeal and it will make them a more stronger person. Plus people who are teased can relate to characters who are teased. Therefore when people see the teased characters stand up for them selves and rescue people, including characters that once teased them, this may influence the person who is being bullied to do the samething.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister
    I didn't care for WFRR either. It was okay, I suppose, but it didn't draw me in like it could have. The dark elements felt out of place. And Jessica Rabbit has NO place in a Disney film.
    First we need to remember that WFRR was created by Touchtone Pictures--A film company that Disney created to make more films aimed towards adults than children. So that explains why Jessica and all the violence was in the film. Disney had no intentions of the film itself to be aimed for young children. But yes the shoe scene is sad.

•   
    • So fetch

But I think death as a theme in a children's movie is somewhat good for them. I think it might help a child learn to deal with real life death. I might be stretching here, but it seems like a kid who has seen movies that deal with that in a child's forum, like Bambi or Lion King, might have an easier time dealing with the loss of a grandparent or someone like that than a child who has been sheltered from anything like that and was not at all prepared.
    I totally agree. I think it's good that Disney movies have dark elements because life in general has dark elements.

My brother-in-law always sends his kids out of the room during Mufasa's death scene. I don't. If a scene frightens my child I will, of course, turn it off though. My neighbors did the same thing as my brother-in-law with their child until she was 5. Why did they stop at age 5? Well that was the year her best friend(and entire family) was killed by a drunk driver. It was a very difficult time for us all but my neighbors realized that they couldn't keep their daughter sheltered.

p.s I hope no one takes offense to my post, I am not demeaning my Brother-in-law's parenting, I'm just writing about the differences between us.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    She's not bad...

she's just drawn that way...

(I know you were waiting for that!)

If I can find the sketch of the shoe- I'll scan it in, just for fun.

• e komo mai

If there ever is a sequel (and I don't think there ever will be) they should bring the shoe back. They could use it to illustrate (ha ha) how toons can be brought back to life.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    she's just drawn that way...

(I know you were waiting for that!)
    Yes, I was. Thank you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast