Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50
  1. #1

    • e komo mai
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4,362

    Question Dark Disney Elements

    A thought crossed my mind while I was watching 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' today... There are a lot of really dark, not too kid-friendly things that go on in Disney films etc.

    For example, I was watching 'WFRR' and noticed that a man gets shot in the back a couple of times and we see it up close, one man gets decapitated by a safe and we see the headless body being carted away and we watch the execution of a toon, all in a movie that also stars Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny. We also hear about a murder committed by a toon, that toons just like Mickey can kill humans... Strange, no?

    Then I started thinking about other heavy moments in Disney films:

    * Clayton getting hung in 'Tarzan' and we get to see his swinging shadow.

    * Cruella talking about killing and skinning puppies for a coat in 'Dalmatians'.

    * Frollo absolutely lusting after Esmeralda in 'Hunchback' by sniffing her hair up close (while pinning her arm behind her) and then imagining her doing a dance for him in his fireplace.

    Whoa! There's a lot of adult things going on in these flicks. I'm not opposed to them being there, but do you think they're too adult for the audience they are catering to? I'm not saying change them, I don't think movies should ever be altered after the final version is locked. I'm just making an observation.

    Also, I've always thought it kind of heavy-duty that the host of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion hung himself. Don't get me wrong, I looove this part of HM and I don't think it should ever be changed, but it is a little heavy isn't it?

    Any thoughts? Any other examples you can think of?

    (Now I'm not talking about things put in secretly into their films that most of the execs were not aware of, although that's interesting too. [Like Jessica's flash in the original version of 'WFRR'.] I'm talking about the things green lighted on a larger scale...)

  2. #2

    • Again! Again! Again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the emergency card.
    Posts
    7,669

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    How about Ursula getting stabbed by the bowsprit in The Little Mermaid.

    And the absolute worst one of all, the B*tch the Evil Queen wanting the hunter guy to cut out Snow White's heart and bring it back in a heart!! Now I think I'm gonna go cry cuz I just relived that part in the movie.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

  3. #3

    • e komo mai
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4,362

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    How could I forget the expectation of the queen for her huntsman to murder SW and then remove her heart? That's pretty dark. Not only this, but SW then gets to go through a psychotic forest.

    Another: Ichabod Crane, the funny and quirky lead character in 'Sleepy Hollow', dies in the end. They killed off a lead character? Now that's dark.

  4. #4

    • That's Hawt
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    6,989

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    Bambi's Mom Dies!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s



  5. #5

    • e komo mai
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4,362

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    Bambi's Mom Dies!!!
    Killed by us. The humans in the audience. The message is that we (man) killed her.

    That's heavy.

  6. #6

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eustis, Florida (45 minutes from WDW)
    Posts
    3,025

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    Having been an educator for a while, I noticed this is universal...there are the same dark underpinings in many-a-kids tale. Looks at the squirrels attacking the little girl in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (and in the remake). The "hunter" ghost-things in Harry Potter (spaced the name). The witch who will kill Dorothy (and ends up being killed) terrifies kids even today.

    I think it's that the things that are truly horrific are universal and therefore, it doesn't matter your age. The monsters are the same.

    Mr. Toad goes to hell at the end of his ride.

    Sleeping Beauty is essentially killed off for a portion of her movie. Alice enters an insane asylum, basically.

    So I hear ya.

    Peace.
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

  7. #7

    • e komo mai
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4,362

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    Regarding 'Charlie'. I believe the book is worse. Correct me if I'm wrong here. The book never says that the children survive...

    Nemo's mom gets eaten along with all the eggs she laid, save one.

  8. #8

    • Again! Again! Again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the emergency card.
    Posts
    7,669

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    OOOOO, Scar being eaten alive by the hyenas!!

    And what message was being sent when Dumbo gets drunk! Not to mention what Pooh was on during the whole Heffalumps and Woozles!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

  9. #9

    • e komo mai
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4,362

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    Turning boys into donkey slaves at a theme park in 'Pinocchio'. That's pretty harsh.

  10. #10

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Diamond State
    Posts
    1,542

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy4
    And the absolute worst one of all, the B*tch the Evil Queen wanting the hunter guy to cut out Snow White's heart and bring it back in a heart!! Now I think I'm gonna go cry cuz I just relived that part in the movie.
    Is it such a crime to want to be the fairest in all the land?
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

  11. #11

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    A thought crossed my mind while I was watching 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' today... There are a lot of really dark, not too kid-friendly things that go on in Disney films etc.

    For example, I was watching 'WFRR' and noticed that a man gets shot in the back a couple of times and we see it up close, one man gets decapitated by a safe and we see the headless body being carted away and we watch the execution of a toon, all in a movie that also stars Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny. We also hear about a murder committed by a toon, that toons just like Mickey can kill humans... Strange, no?

    Then I started thinking about other heavy moments in Disney films:

    * Clayton getting hung in 'Tarzan' and we get to see his swinging shadow.

    * Cruella talking about killing and skinning puppies for a coat in 'Dalmatians'.

    * Frollo absolutely lusting after Esmeralda in 'Hunchback' by sniffing her hair up close (while pinning her arm behind her) and then imagining her doing a dance for him in his fireplace.

    Whoa! There's a lot of adult things going on in these flicks. I'm not opposed to them being there, but do you think they're too adult for the audience they are catering to? I'm not saying change them, I don't think movies should ever be altered after the final version is locked. I'm just making an observation.

    Also, I've always thought it kind of heavy-duty that the host of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion hung himself. Don't get me wrong, I looove this part of HM and I don't think it should ever be changed, but it is a little heavy isn't it?

    Any thoughts? Any other examples you can think of?

    (Now I'm not talking about things put in secretly into their films that most of the execs were not aware of, although that's interesting too. [Like Jessica's flash in the original version of 'WFRR'.] I'm talking about the things green lighted on a larger scale...)
    In Who Framed Roger Rabbit when Daffy & Donald are battling each other on their pianos, As Donald walks off the stage frustrated, he says some pretty mean things to Daffy.

  12. #12

    • e komo mai
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    4,362

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    Daffy deserved that.

  13. #13

    • there's always my way...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Seal Beach, Disneyland and most anywhere
    Posts
    1,940

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    how about my favorite character getting knifed, Gaston! that was brutal.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

  14. #14

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    Gaston gets knocked off the castle in Beauty & the Beast. I think Beast gets shot with one of Gastons arrows too.

  15. #15

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Dark Disney Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Daffy deserved that.
    Yes LOL.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Pictures] Disney After Dark with Anders
    By Anders in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 11:48 AM
  2. Photoshop Elements
    By PrincessY in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 10:01 PM
  3. Report: Disney to Package CD's with Downloadable Elements
    By disneytim in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •