Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Still wants to be a cat!

Has anyone ever explained "gay" to their kids?

I just had a major chat with the Wolfette about this subject, since Gay Days is coming up. I thought it might be better to explain it at home than at the Park, since we are probably going to show up that weekend. Anyone else gone through this chat?......Wolfette had no questions, she just said "Oh Dusty" and that was the end of that.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• no flash photography...

Re: Has anyone ever explained "gay" to their kids?

yes, I didn't really sit down and have a talk with her. I have a few gay firends and my daughter has always been around them and we have always talked openly about everything....

•   
    • So fetch

We're not planning on having a "special" talk with our daughter when she's old enough. Her uncle is gay so it's just normal in our family. I was a dancer when I was younger so it's not like my parents had a talk with me either. To myself and my husband, a person's sexuality is just like the color of their skin, it doesn't change who they are. I think that is how we will explain it to our daughter if she asks.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    yes, I didn't really sit down and have a talk with her. I have a few gay firends and my daughter has always been around them and we have always talked openly about everything....
    Same here

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Incognito

Blog Entries

OK I loved that she said "Oh Dusty" - lol. I love that!!

My niece had to explain things to my great niece (her daughter) about her Uncle Matt and her Aunt Vickie. I think she basically just said that they (we) want to be with men/women the way I dated your daddy before we got married. I dont think she had to explain the complexities of WHY we can't get married but I think she just said "oh" and then went to play with her Bratz dolls or something.

I think if a kid is exposed to homosexuality and sees that her parents can deal with it and not make a big deal out of it, then the kid will be like "whatever" and move on. I grew up in a very homophobic home (my dad) so all I was ever exposed to was how he felt which was very negative which I think had a huge impact on me staying closeted until I nearly turned 30!

Just treat it like it's not a big deal, that you love us just the same and she'll be cool. The Wolfettes a smart kid.

Of course this thread will eventually end up in the litter box you know, because of a select few that have to make it sound like explaining "gay" to your kids is tantamount to the end of life as we know it. Just a premenition, I hope that's not the case.

• Just Me

The way I see it, we have always taught The Boy that people are all different, and that is what makes us all special. As long as he doesn't end up a homophobe/hater (along with all sorts of other issues) like my dad or Hubby's dad then I will be a happy camper. Both Hubby and I are open-minded and both of us have gay friends. hubby has even stood up to his co-workers out in the oil fields when they made a rude remark about someone we know.

• That's Hawt

Well, I don't think my sister really understands.

Very reacently I had a friend over and we were in my bedroom making out. My mom got home with my little sister and she opened the door and just giggled. My mom didn't really care that I had someone over but she was none to happy to get to explain that brother likes boys.

My sister was like, "Oh" and just went off to play barbies.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I did have to have a talk with my son. We live in MT. We had to have many talks - because the exposure is very limited in ethnicity let alone homosexuality. We did it similar to Mousey Girl. Folks come in all shapes and sizes, relationships come in all shape and sizes and the best thing you can do is liver your life according to the golden rule.
    Seemed to work. He was pretty unphased by it also.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I have no plan to have any particular talk with my son. So far I call it as I see it. I know he will ask me all the questions there are to ask- by age three he had already asked me where babies come from and was none too satisfied with a generic answer.
    That kid is so smart.

I just hope to teach him acceptance and the Golden Rule, as someone else already mentioned, by answering any questions he might have and not making a big deal out of things like sexuality or race. And then I'll pray that he becomes the kind of open and loving person I dream he will be. So far, I definitely see that happening.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Circle of Ancients

In this day and age, it almost seems like you don't really have to explain what "gay " is to kids since there are openly gay people everywhere....school, church, downtown, the Renaissance Faire , Disneyland, etc!! Our kids just naturally figured out that gay means liking/loving someone who is the same gender. And they've always tried to treat everyone with love and kindness regardless of their sexual preference.

We have a lot of friends that are gay, it was time to explain just a little bit about it...that way the Wolfette can enjoy Gay Days along with the rest of us. She has even picked out her red shirt - to respect all those that have different tastes!

- Wolfette

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    We have a lot of friends that are gay, it was time to explain just a little bit about it...that way the Wolfette can enjoy Gay Days along with the rest of us. She has even picked out her red shirt - to respect all those that have different tastes!
    That's awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    She has even picked out her red shirt - to respect all those that have different tastes!
    That's sweet!

I always really enjoy seeing all the different groups that come through DL with t-shirts or some kind of attire that represents who they are.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I don't remember ever really having a talk with my daughter when she was growing up. At the time one of my co-workers was gay, and he was also one of my dearest friends. (He's since moved and I've lost touch.). But I would take my daugher to his house for dinner and such and she was around him and his partner and she never questioned their relationship. I'm sure from school and such she already know about the issue, but seemed to instinctively not be concerened or bothered by it, she just accepted that people are different. But I never sat her down ahead of time and brought up the subject.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

All flavors! Best way to be, have to share those feelings!

- Wolfette

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast