Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Modern Technology - isn't it great?

Modern technology, isn't it great?, Lately around our house, it isn't. My husband buys a new printer, and needs to install Windows XP, so it will work. Nothing but trouble.

I put in a new phone line and the installer messes up my main phone line. I have 5 phones on the 3 stories of my house, and 2 of those phones now won't work.

My husband and I both have Cable on our televisions. My cable reception is perfect, but my husband did not get some of the local channels.

Well the cable problem got fixed. Today, I am hoping to fix the SBC telephone problem. It is really a pain that my answering machine is not picking up, and I have to listen to all that ringing.

Modern technology. We come to rely on it so much. What did we do before answering machines and internet and cable television? We answered our phones and if we were lucky our television pictures were not too staticky (not sure about that spelling.)

This morning I had so much trouble getting on the internet using AOL. I did figure out how to be on MiceChat and listen to my music I programmed in.

So when things are working, it is great. When they aren't and we need tp bring in a repairman, well that's one of those necessary pains of everyday life.

I just don't understand why my husband won't make a phone call to fix his computer problem. He has e-mailed and is now talking about buying a book. I told him to just call Microsoft. He has Microsoft and I have AOL.

Well the SBC guy is here so hopefully one of my problems will get solved.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• That's Hawt

Re: Modern Technology - isn't it great?

There was a time before answering machines??
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The answering machine is actually one of my favorite things. I can screen my phone calls. I do not have to talk to telemarketers. I definitely love (like) my answering machine.

By the way, the SBC guy just left and I have my answering machine back in good working order.
    Pop Century Resort

• white and nerdy

I sometimes wish I could go back to the days of the pony express. The most technological thing was the plow.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I do not think that I would like to go back to that time period. Give me all the modern conveniences. Women, and anyone, forthat matter, who does the household tasks, especially appreciates the modern technology of things like microwaves ans vacuum cleaners and the refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    I sometimes wish I could go back to the days of the pony express. The most technological thing was the plow.
    Pop Century Resort

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    The answering machine is actually one of my favorite things. I can screen my phone calls. I do not have to talk to telemarketers. I definitely love (like) my answering machine.

By the way, the SBC guy just left and I have my answering machine back in good working order.
    Just out of curousity, how much does AOL cost a month? My DSL is 26.95 monthly, and it is really fast! Have you ever thought about going with SBC DSL?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Atually I have 6 months free AOL , that came with the purchase of my new laptop computer. After that, it will be $23.90. I would say if your service is reliable and fast, don't change. I am with AOL, for now. I may, or may not change after the 6 months. Of course if AOL is not serving me well in the meantime, I can cancel the free and choose another service. Free is nice, but not if it is not dependable. I have only had AOL, since Wednesday, so it is too soon to see if I am going to like it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Just out of curousity, how much does AOL cost a month? My DSL is 26.95 monthly, and it is really fast! Have you ever thought about going with SBC DSL?
    Pop Century Resort

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I just don't understand why my husband won't make a phone call to fix his computer problem. He has e-mailed and is now talking about buying a book. I told him to just call Microsoft. He has Microsoft and I have AOL.

Well the SBC guy is here so hopefully one of my problems will get solved.
    He probably does not want to talk to someone in India or Africa. Plus he can save more money buying a book than hiring a repair man.

I remember we had AOL and they sent us a bill years after we ditched their service. Anyway, my dad called un-america online and got connected to India then Africa so he gave up talking to AOL that night. The next morning to everyones surprise...He called AOL and someone from NEW YORK picked up the phone and helped him out! I was so shocked! I did not know AOL even hired American employees.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    I had AOL for free for 3 plus years. All I did was install their free 3,000 hr CD's and when time expired, I called them to cancel the service and they kept offering me 3 more free moths. So just buy one of those CD's from your grocery or wal mart store for 3 dollars and that is all you need.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Don't get it if you don't need it.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I did not think, when we bought my grandson's computer, that we would encounter so many problems.

First my husband installs the printer and his computer would not run it. He then buys an update. He gets that working after sitting hours on the phone. Yes he said he thought he was talking to someone in India.

When he tried to get on the internet, he couldn't. He is pretty smart, when it comes to computers, but he can't figure it out. Today he bought a new modem. Still no internet connection.

He if finally on the phone with Microsoft. We will see what that accomplishes.

As for my own computer. On wednesday they put in the phone line. They botched that job and had to come back Friday to fix the fact that 2 of my 5 phones were not working. On Friday, they fixed that, but then they disonnected my internet line. Well today, Saturday, I finally got back on the internet. The SBC guy said, do not ask for him by name. Well he straightened me out, but I have some exposed wires I am concerned about. I guess I will wrap them in electrical tape.

So modern technology is only good, when it works. If it is not working, be prepared. Calling a serviceman, does not always solve the problem. I have had them back, quite a few times.

I am sure that many of you have your own horror stores. Mine are minor, by comparison, to some I have heard. It is just so good that MiceChat let's me vent.
    Pop Century Resort

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I find myself saying "Gotta love modern technology" whenever something goes wrong.

Last month at work, our internet went down for a day and a half. We do 95% of our work online, so it was a huge inconvenience. We all ended up working out of our respective homes until it got fixed and kept in touch with our cell phones calling clients and whatnot. A month before that, we had Vonage bradband phone and it was a huge pain in the tail. We make alot of long distance calls and for some reason on Vonage, there's a 2 decond delay in long distance calls through them. We ended up switching to a regular phone line when we upgraded our phones last month. Took forever to get all 4 lines working and then we had to wait for the caller ID to kick in. But now that's all fine.

Caller ID has to be the greatest phone-related invention though. I use it to screen calls at home and on my cell phone. If it says "Unknown Caller" or "Blocked Caller", I just let the machine get it and if it's important they'll leave a message. 9 time sout of 10... they don't. It's also come in handy at work for when we don't feel like dealing with a certain client at that time when they call. Heh.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Make sure your computer, and all other electrical appliances, is unplugged from the wall during a lightning storm. About two months ago, everything but this computer was unplugged during a storm we had and guess what, the computer modem got zapped big time. We had to have computer technicians replace the modem. You should also have your computer plugged into surge protectors to protect it from any damaging electrical surges. But even if your stuff is plugged into an electrical surge outlet, it still needs to be unplugged from the wall during thunder and lightning storms.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I do not think that I would like to go back to that time period. Give me all the modern conveniences. Women, and anyone, forthat matter, who does the household tasks, especially appreciates the modern technology of things like microwaves ans vacuum cleaners and the refrigerator.
    As much as technology drive me totally batty most of the time I agree. At least when it does work, it usually works well. I've had Earthlink ever since I've been online (for years) and never had any problems with them at all. In fact, I've never even had to call them for any reason. I just recently ordered DSL from them, so that story could change. We'll see.

Today I tried downloading a new wallpaper for my cell phone. It said it downloaded it, but now I can't find it on my phone!!!!!!! It cost me $1.99 for the pic plus the cost of the download and I can't find the pic anywhere on my camera!! Now that I'm not looking forward to calling customer service for....

As for telemarketers... we signed up on that "Do Not Call list".... yeah... I think I've had MORE calls since we put our number on that than before. But I'm getting really good at hanging up on them before they can explain why THEY are exempt from that.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• That's Hawt

I have found that when you call big companies you are more likely to get someone in the US-of-A if you call during normal business hours (I call about 11 here on the west coast) and 9/10 I have gotten an american. If you call after business hours is when you get some packistani! (At least with Dell!)
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast