Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnats!!

• Original Mice-Chatter

Gnats!!

Here at the office I have alot of plants- they grow splendidly and I love having them- but every now and then I get GNATS!! These little black dots of insects flit in from of my face and drive me nuts!!

Does anyone have tips on how to cut down the gnat explosions that come from my plants?

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Re: Gnats!!

Around here, they made a rule of no plants in the office when we moved to this new building last year. We had a horrible gnat problem and they sprayed like once a month, it never worked.

Anyway, we don't have plants at home but for some reason a few weeks ago, we had a major gnat problem. The Orkin guy was already scheduled to spray that week and he said they have a really short life span but the best, fastest way to get rid of them was to put some flypaper up. Of course, you read that and think how easy it is to find flypaper and let me tell you, it wasn't, LOL! But, it worked.

• Original Mice-Chatter

oh my!

I would be heartbroken if they banned plants- I don't think they will (though we are also moving to a new building) but the gnat problem is pretty much right at my desk- so luckily (or is it) it is mostly just my problem.

Flypaper? hmmmm.......that's an idea!

I hate it when they die and land on my desk......then I am cleaning up little black bugs...ick....

*sigh* I also have sprayed soapy water on the dirt, which cuts down on them.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Easy, get rid of the plants

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Easy, get rid of the plants

nothing doing my friend-

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Well then I think outside of just spraying the plants lightly with Raid or something, the flypaper idea might work for ya.

• Original Mice-Chatter

and it will look so great with my desk toys and stuff-

LOL- I have this image of this sticky stuff hanging here, getting all tangled up.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    and it will look so great with my desk toys and stuff-

LOL- I have this image of this sticky stuff hanging here, getting all tangled up.

Me too! I just picture this office space with those 3' long orange No Pest Strips hanging from a cubicle area - lol.

• Man O Lantern

We had a gnat problem around here last year at this time.....everyone was complaining about it. There's some way to attract and trap them in a jar with wine and paper towels....but I can't remember! One of my friends did it right before a party last year. The gnats were SO bad, and she'd read about this trap and it worked within an hour. By the time of the party, the gnats were all gone.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Oh that would have been nice to know 3 weeks ago when I had my party. We had gnats everywhere that night, those little bastiges!!

• Banned User

to get rid of nats the natural way make a soapy solution of dish soap and water. put the foam in the dirt and spray the leaves with the watered down solution. this gets rid of nats or it has for me.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Another thing is to use vinegar and the suggestion was to make a funnel - so they'll fly in but can't fly out. I just used a just with holes in the lid. It helped a lot.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

OMG I am so happy to know that I am not the only one with this problem!! I have been thinking I must be a really bad house keeper or something but couldn't figure out what I needed to clean! I am so relieved!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Here at work, the plant maintenance service has used these small fly strip plant stakes. They look kinda like yellow post-it notes, and they stick into the plant soil. I'll ask them next time where to get 'em.

• Just Me

I had this problem a while back. I went into the nursery section of Target and found an office safe bug spray for plants. Instead of insecticide it uses some form of soap. It worked and no one ever complained about it (although I made sure to do it when no one was around).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast