Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• white and nerdy

Angry G(g)od(s) -or- Why my professor sucks

So, in my Sacred Literature class the professor has instructed us that anytime we use the word "god" in class we have to write it like this: G(g)od(s). Whe says we must do this so we "Don't leave anyone out."

My problems with this are as follows:

1. are we really so sensitive that the very mention of somethine we don't believe in insults or offends us?
    2. It's a Sacred Literature class! We are going to have to write about most every religion out there. Would we not mearly dilute and homogonise the different religions out there if we refuse to refer to their gods the way thay do?
    3. It is inane and assinine! How do you pronounce it? It's not even a word anymore. If you try to make a word mean everything it loses all meaning.

Anywho. just thought I'd rant and share with my MiceChat Brother/Sisters.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: G(g)od(s) -or- Why my professor sucks

That cat is just another educated idiot. They should never be referred to as "doctors" as if they were on the same level as a medical doctor. If anything, they are bad for your health. When these witch doctors die, they should be ground up and sent to Dr. Ross to be canned and fed to the pooches,

• Man O Lantern

G(g)od(s)

How does that include everyone, either? I don't get it.

Sorry. G(g)od(s), I'm glad I'm done with college!

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    G(g)od(s), I'm glad I'm done with college!
    What s/he MEANT to say was that s/he is glad s/he is done with C(c)ollege(s)/U(u)niversity(ies).

This is reminding me of 1337-speak all of a sudden.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

•   
    • So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    G(g)od(s)

How does that include everyone, either? I don't get it.

Sorry. G(g)od(s), I'm glad I'm done with college!

Ditto.

That just seems stupid and a waste of ink. Plus your spell check will have lots of fun catching it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

It appears you have encountered someone who has been educated beyond their intelligence.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• insufferable know-it-all

Hmm... I find fault with his male-centric assertion. Or does he only intend not to leave out masculine deities?

Write him a very nice letter explaining that you feel concessions to deities outside the religion being discussed at the time would undermine the literary intent behind whatever you're writing, and therefore, you will use the relevant deitic (is that a word?) title for whatever topic you're writing on.

And address the fact that despite his attempts to be inclusive, he has in fact excluded every female deity. He probably doesn't want to incur the wrath of the Morrigu

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• oh bugger

::steps onto soap box::

-ahem-

You tell your profesor that God is a noun in the English dictionary and when refering to the Christian deity it is considered a proper name and is in reference to a specific single entity and shall be written "God." If in turn your profesor would like all gods of all religions to be given proper respect then actual names should be used. In this case in the Jewish Orthodox tradition He shall be refered to as YHVH or Jehovah.

If not making a reference to the Christian God, possibly if you read the Siddhartha you will discuss Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva the Hindu deity.

If a religion uses the term God to reference its religious supreme being then the specific deity should not be refered to as a G(g)od(s) because that is not what that deity actually is. Call it plainly the way it is, you will not leave anyone out but instead be a more educated and correct member of the class.

Please for the sake of us all don't ever use G(g)od(s) in any of your work, it will make you look foolish and docile just as your professor has become. If I was in your position I would talk with the profesor or the head of the department and inform them of this insane practice. This is a C(c)ollege(s)/U(u)niversity(ies)/Community College/ Technical College/Trade School and it should be treated as such. Don't let the professor bully you into anything less. If you were to receive a lower grade for calling the Christian God "God" then you need to take it above the professors head.

That is something that I just don't understand. Just place your reference into context and capitilaze and pluralize as necessary, you aren't leaving people out when you call me Jason instead of jasons.

::steps off soap box and walks away::
    Last edited by jurgenb52; 09-16-2005 at 05:57 PM.

jurgen: why is it YHVH and not "El"? Isn't that the Hebrew name?

Honestly, I would discuss it with the professor, not dictate it. And yeah, take it above his head if need be.

Or perhaps you could write "God*" the first time, then add a footnote the "For the sake of simplicity, the term "God" as used in this paper can be assumed to mean any of the pantheon of possible relevant G(g)od(s) and Goddesses."

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Actually, I think you should be more inclusive for your professor -

G(g)od(s)(ess)(es)

And tell him/her it should be that way, because not everyone believes that G(g)od(s) is a male.

is/are (a) male(s), you mean

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Since not everyone believes that dieties exist at all, how about:

G(g)od(s)(ess)(es)(or not)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Since not everyone believes that dieties exist at all, how about:

G(g)od(s)(ess)(es)(or not)
    Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!!!

Wait a second.... that's still not adequate. We must include those with God complexes and/or self-proclaimed deities. Therefore, it should be:

G(g)od(s)(ess)(es)(or not)(Me)

• oh bugger

::runs back with kitty litter box this time::

... what about Jebus?

.... and not all G(g)od(s)(ess)(es) are male, its not just that some believe the Christian God isn't male (we all know its Alanis Morissette anyway) but what about Aphrodite, Hera, Venus?

....and the nonbelievers reading your paper who might feel left out when you say "God" or "gods" can always be satisfied if you say simply "The Dude."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast