• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

13 Facts about Friday the 13th

I found this article interesting about Friday, the 13th. Personally I like most Friday the 13ths as long as I don't have to watch a scary movie called Friday the 13th.

13 Facts About Friday the 13th

Here are 13 more facts about the infamous day, courtesy of Fernsler and some of our own research:

1. The British Navy built a ship named Friday the 13th. On its maiden voyage, the vessel left dock on a Friday the 13th, and was never heard from again.

2. The ill-fated Apollo 13 launched at 13:13 CST on Apr. 11, 1970. The sum of the date's digits (4-11-70) is 13 (as in 4+1+1+7+0 = 13). And the explosion that crippled the spacecraft occurred on April 13 (not a Friday). The crew did make it back to Earth safely, however.

3. Many hospitals have no room 13, while some tall buildings skip the 13th floor.

4. Fear of Friday the 13th - one of the most popular myths in science - is called paraskavedekatriaphobia as well as friggatriskaidekaphobia. Triskaidekaphobia is fear of the number 13.

5. Quarterback Dan Marino wore No. 13 throughout his career with the Miami Dolphins. Despite being a superb quarterback (some call him one of the best ever), he got to the Super Bowl just once, in 1985, and was trounced 38-16 by the San Francisco 49ers and Joe Montana (who wore No. 16 and won all four Super Bowls he played in).

6. Butch Cassidy, notorious American train and bank robber, was born on Friday, April 13, 1866.

7. Fidel Castro was born on Friday, Aug. 13, 1926.

8. President Franklin D. Roosevelt would not travel on the 13th day of any month and would never host 13 guests at a meal. Napoleon and Herbert Hoover were also triskaidekaphobic, with an abnormal fear of the number 13.

9. Superstitious diners in Paris can hire a quatorzieme, or professional 14th guest.

10. Mark Twain once was the 13th guest at a dinner party. A friend warned him not to go. "It was bad luck," Twain later told the friend. "They only had food for 12."

11. Woodrow Wilson considered 13 his lucky number, though his experience didn't support such faith. He arrived in Normandy, France on Friday, Dec. 13, 1918, for peace talks, only to return with a treaty he couldn't get Congress to sign. (The ship's crew wanted to dock the next day due to superstitions, Fernsler said.) He toured the United States to rally support for the treaty, and while traveling, suffered a near-fatal stroke.

12. The number 13 suffers from its position after 12, according to numerologists who consider the latter to be a complete number - 12 months in a year, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 gods of Olympus, 12 labors of Hercules, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 apostles of Jesus, 12 days of Christmas and 12 eggs in a dozen.

13. The seals on the back of a dollar bill include 13 steps on the pyramid, 13 stars above the eagle's head, 13 war arrows in the eagle's claw and 13 leaves on the olive branch. So far there's been no evidence tying these long-ago design decisions to the present economic situation.
    So what about you, are you paraskavedekatriaphobia or is today just a good day because it's Friday.

• Senior Minion

Re: 13 Facts about Friday the 13th

Today is my half birthday, as i was born on August 13th. So friday the 13th has usually been a lucky day for me and 13 is my lucky number.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I didn't realize that today was Friday the 13th until I saw this thread. I am actually a little squeamish about Friday the 13th, and about the number 13 in general.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

The day never bothered me.

Cool facts, though
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Delawarean Girl

--- and when February gets a Friday 13th. So will March!. Double dose each and everytime.

I was trying to get #10 . The one about Mark Twain. I guess he didn't get to eat? But that was kind of stupid of the people that invited him. They should known that ahead of time.

• Mischievous Mouse

But since Friday the 13th is in fact a Friday, and the typical work week ends on a Friday.. It's good luck to me!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

13 is my lucky number so this day never bothers me. Put me on the 13th floor!

The movie- is awesome.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'd still rather eat a baker's dozen of donuts.

• Jacob <3 Cotton Candy

LOL. Our Apartment complex does not have an APT 13. It goes from APT 12 to APT 14A.

Now I am not afraid of the number 13. In fact it has been my favorite number with it being in my cell phone number! My dad on the other hand has a wierd history with Friday the 13th. All of his accidents (not that many maybe 5 out of 30 plus years driving) have all occured on Friday the 13th. Very odd if you ask me.
    Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• The one and only

DOn't we get three this year? next month and... was it october?

• Delawarean Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Jordiekins View Post
    DOn't we get three this year? next month and... was it october?
    Your just a month early. November has a Friday the 13th this year.

So, we get a near end whip too.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

13 is one of my lucky numbers. I love it.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau