View Poll Results: Should we be required to take a foreign language in High School and College?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 73.58%
  • No

14 26.42%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Should we be required to take foreign laguage classes in H.S. and college?

Okay, it kind of bugs me that some schools require that we take foreign language classes in High School and/or college. I mean what will I need it for? If I own a business, it will probably be a small one or I will probably just be an employeed being paid to do art work. So why should people like myself be required to learn a second language if we don't want to?

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: Should we be required to take foreign laguage classes in H.S. and college?

huh..wha? Whoa...thats the first time I have ever dozed off in the middle of a post....
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• That's Hawt

I actually think it is absolutely necessairy. Especially living in California, it really helps to be fluent in Spanish!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I think it's very beneficial. Even if you forget it mostly years later like me, the classes themselves teach more than just language, things such as culture of those who speak the language, at least mine did. As a human race we need to learn to accept and understand the differences that people in different countries/regions have. At the very least, most Americans should be able to learn basic Spanish since it is so common now throughout the U.S. especially in California.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Most educated people in foreign countries are already bi- and multi-lingual. Learning a foreign language develops linguistic higher order thinking skills that transcend merely ordering tacos en espanol. I strongly feel that a second language should be required in all public schools, but I disagree over the current criteria in determining what is required (i.e. typically Spanish and French). It makes sense to me that a compuer programming language or Latin should also be included as options. Of course, giving too many choices eats away at budgets. Whereas Spanish is essential for Mexico's neighbor states, It wouldn't make as much sense if one were living in a less ethnically diverse state such as Utah or Idaho.

• Rock Star Minion

To answer the question: No, you should not be required to take a foreign language. It ain't readin' or ritin' or 'rithmtic.

To provide advice: However, it is a good idea to learn one. It will provide you more opportunities and options, should you want a life that has more options and opportunities.

To be a proud and ugly American: We're USA. We don't have to speak others' languages. The rest of the world, though, needs to speak English. And so, many of their kids are taught it. Works out for everyone that way.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Oh good grief....is taking 2-4 years of a foreign language at the high school level and 1-2 semesters in college that difficult? It helps broaden your horizons. My Spanish classes weren't just oral and written communication. We had culture, food, field trips ( we saw plays in Spanish in NYC), Spanish literature, crafts, etc.

My main problems with foreign language:
    1. They waited until middle school to introduce us to Spanish and French. Although, I did have a year of Latin in 5th grade. I am happy to see some schools are starting children in earlier grades in foreign languages.
    2. My high school didn't offer the language I wanted to take. I wanted to learn Italian, so I ended up taking Spanish all 4 years since it was the closest. My other choices were French, German, and Russian. I then took 1 semester of Intermediate Spanish to fulfill my foreign language requirement for my bachelor's degree.

I don't remember as much as I would like to, but having all those years of Spanish is now helping with Italian and other romantic languages.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• white and nerdy

I personaly belive that for a person to truely consider themselves "educated" they must know more than one language.

That's just me though. I know English and ASL. I am learning spanish. Communication: It's important!

Remember, this is just my opinion. Another sign of being "educated" is having an open mind.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Queen of Randomness

I took the two years of high school foreign language that were required and I don't remember barely any of it and that was only two years ago. Our schools spanish classes consisted of learning basic spanish by following the exercises in a book and about a couple of holidays. So I took them and everything but I don't that they helped in anyway. Now maybe a cultural awareness class would be more beneficial. If you are truely to become fluent it would be best to start in elementary school. Other wise it should be optional like art classes, music classes, etc. Only those that have an interest in it should chose to take it.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

• Banned User

If i was required to... everyone should... HAha.....

(sing language is good..)

• no flash photography...

I think it needs to start earlier...like in grade school and continue up through high school so it actually does some good. I took 2 years of spanish and could not speak it until I worked with hispanic people and they taught me some. Kids catch on quicker though...

• Gay Man

I don't remember much of any of the three languages I took, but I sure learned a lot about the world and life. What is this attitude of only learning things you "need". Like you know what you'll need for your entire life. Sheesh, don't be so shortsighted and learn it all!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I use a foriegn language daily--I've been using American Sign Language since I was seventeen. Many schools didn't consider it a foreign language, but let me tell you, since I've been learning it, yeah--it was worth learning another language. I live in two worlds, two cultures and it's awesome.

Learn another language.

Peace
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• /sigh

You could say the same about other required subject. Really...how often do we use algebraic equations or mixing a base and an acid (was that it?) in our lives. But, this is the gift of education. We are able to learn as much of everything as we can that expands not only our minds but also our own life experiences. What a better and ‘deeper’ person we can become because of education. If foreign language becomes "optional", what other subjects will become "optional" because it's not useful?
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    You could say the same about other required subject. Really...how often do we use algebraic equations...
    I do nearly every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    or mixing a base and an acid (was that it?)...
    Um, I think the answer would be NOT to mix bases (alkali) and acids.

The rest of your post I wholeheartedly agree with.

Foreign Language as a requirement means that the district can afford such a thing, and that the citizens of the area regard it as a worthwhile subject to be required and funded.
    For me, I chose to take a foreign language, because the colleges I wanted to apply to required it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast