View Poll Results: Do you consider your family to be people who are only biologically related to you?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 19.57%
  • No

37 80.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

Re: What type of "Family" do you come from?

I'm adopted, am an only child and my best friend is like my sister.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Family is what you make it. No blood or amount of love defines it.

Peace
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• most magical vaca ever

I'm still waiting for that nice man to knock on my door and tell me that I was adopted

I too believe that biology means nothing! I refer to my biological father as my mothers sperm donor My parents divorced when I was 10 but he was NEVER a part of my life or my sisters life (she's 5 yrs older).

In my opinion, everyone should be born sterile and you should have to apply to become parents!

I think now that I am married with two children we tend to do a LOT more with my husbands family. The only family I have is my mom, sister, niece and my Nana that past away last Christmas.
    ~~~~~~

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

My family consists of this:

My mother,
    My brother,
    My aunt and uncle,
    My cousin, her husband and their daughter.

That's it, nothing huge, Christmas is fabulous and I rarely see them because they live in Illinois.

I really don't get along with my mother and brother, mainly because I have a more positive outlook on life. My mother keeps reminding me that I'll end up just like her when I am her age. I just keep telling her that the way she acts just makes me work harder every day to NOT end up like her.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda
    My family is mostly a normal nuclear type of family, but I have a way of adopting others into the fold, usually my daughters friends/boyfriends. I kept asking her over and over if I could finally adopt the guy she is with now (they've been together 3 years now.) She kept saying no so I finally just told him I was adopting him anyway. The "kid" that lived next door to me I call my "adopted" son (he's 31 now) and he still calls me mom #2. Whenever he wants to come home he knows all he has to do is call and say, hey I'll be over tomorrow afternoon (From Arizona)! And I'll go buy him his Coke (I drink Pepsi), and sweep up some of the dog hair for him. I never did clean up the house for him coz he lived next door he saw it at its worst and best. But now he brings his fiance with him so I try to spruce up for her! So I have my biological family and my extended family and to me they are all pretty much the same, blood relations or not.
    You sound awsome!!!

Now back to me being adopted, yes you can adopt me, I am paper trained,come with papers and will bring my own bed and food

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL

My mother,
    My brother,
    My aunt and uncle,

That's it, nothing huge, Christmas is fabulous and I rarely see them because they live in Illinois.

I really don't get along with my mother and brother, mainly because I have a more positive outlook on life. My mother keeps reminding me that I'll end up just like her when I am her age. I just keep telling her that the way she acts just makes me work harder every day to NOT end up like her.

Summer, you are the sweetiest, kindest and most loved person in my book. You can come to my home any time and there wil be a room waiting for you and the little summer any time!!!
    ( no pets though

• So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2
    I'm still waiting for that nice man to knock on my door and tell me that I was adopted

I thought I was the only one that thought that. If I never saw pictures of my mom as a teen looking exactly like me I would swear I was adopted. I have no idea why I'm the black sheep of the family. It must be the fact that I have common sense. LOL

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2
    I am still waiting for that nice man to come to my door and say " you georgous thing you ,where have you been all my life!! Take me up in his arms ( he is going to need to be 9 feet tall and 4 hundred pounds to lift me )
    But yeah it can be done and cover me with kisses, and............ oh crap, I am really dreaming ain't I

• e komo mai

Although I was raised by tiger sharks, I love my parents. I've had my ups and downs with them, but I love 'em. My 2 sisters are great people. I love my chosen family members, too.
    I'm a lucky bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL
    My family is very dysfunctional. My husband's family is co-dependent and don't feel they need a daughter -in -law. Anybody want to be my family?
    They don't "need" a daughter-in-law???? Uh-huh. Forget them- we'll keep you.

My family is a "regular" one. How they produced me I don't know. My mother has an iron will when she chooses to apply it, but other than that I just don't know. It was quite interesting to have two stubborn Finns in the same house, let me tell you!

Mom, dad, married until he died. I have two younger brothers. My grandparents had a lot of siblings but we never interacted with them. Mom still tells me the gossip when I call but they're just names. Most of them I've never even met. That sounds a little pathetic but it's just the way we were. We saw the grandparents quite frequently and my uncles, who live close to grandpa still.

I guess we just rather kept to ourselves. My life has always been rather low-key. My family is also not particularly affectionate. I've gotten to the point where I can tell mom I love you when I call; she responds with you, too. It was quite a breakthrough when I learned that mom shows love by how she handles money. Ah. Now I understand. I can function now. Nobody taught her how to express affection.

I don't talk to my brothers often; just a matter of distance and their lives are as busy as mine. Plus a two-hour time difference. I should call more.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl
    [COLOR="Purple"]They don't "need" a daughter-in-law???? Uh-huh. Forget them- we'll keep you.
    Thank you so much, both sides of my family are dysfunctional and its a sore point for me. That felt like a hug and it is very appreciated!

• Welcome To My Nightmare

My daughter and I are the only biologically related people in our "family". Everyone else are friends who've morphed over the years into a wonderful collection of brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and one very special man who's taken the position of grandfather to my daughter. I love them all.

• most magical vaca ever

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL

My mother,
    My brother,
    My aunt and uncle,

Summer, your mom and my mom would hit it off so well.... My mom is soooo negative about EVERYTHING....

My sister is filing for a divorce and my mother is just so thrilled that my sister could possibly be alone the rest of her life and be miserable just like her. Sad... it's so sad! Luckily my sister is more positive about life and cannot wait to start all over again.

Gotta be positive
    ~~~~~~

• Waiting for the stork

My family just keeps growing and growing...

It started out with my parents (still married, will be forever without a doubt)
    my younger brother and myself. (we are very close, get together frequently...and call each other constantly)
    I got married and we have 2 kids. I have 2 grandma's both were married until my grandpa's past away, so many aunts, uncles, cousins, and their kids that I can not keep track (I swear we multiply like bunnies)
    I have my husbands side of the family, (mom, dad, brother and soon to be sister-in-law perhaps)

that is the family I am blood relation to or by marriage....
    then there is the family I got to chose, I have several very close girlfriends who have become like Aunts to my kids, the kids are all like cousins (we even go on vacations to gether)
    I have a huge biological family and a huge "chosen extended" family.
    I love them all and I know I am blessed.
    procrastibating

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123