•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

A rhetorical question - What do you do when a thread won't go away?

You know the threads. They keep popping up, when you are searching the forums. There they are again, and again, and again. They have pages and pages and pages of posts.

What do you do?

Do you yell "yipee!, I have found my favorite thread."? Do You joyfully click, and read, and post, which sends that thread to the front of the line again?

Or do you ignore it? You decide, by it's title, that it can't possibly have anything in it, that would interest you. So, you never peek inside the thread, to see why it might be so popular. You wonder a lot, everytime you see the thread, but you are never tempted to "click".

The third response to this rhetorical question is, of course, to click and take a look. This action can invoke 3 responses of it's own. You instantly decide that you have found your soul mates. Or you might decide that you absolutely will never "click" on that thread again, after giving it a fair read. The third response will be somewhere in the middle ground. Understanding the comradery of the people involved in the thread, you pop in from time to time, and may even post something.

So what do you do, when a thread won't go away? Remember now, this is a rhetorical question.

• Man O Lantern

Re: A rhetorical question - What do you do when a thread won't go away?

If it's a rhetorical question.....should I answer it?

I like to peek in the more popular threads, definitely. I love to see what the Belles are up to and I like to hang out in the DMCA, although I haven't posted a ton lately, as I haven't been online very much these days.

Other ones, I don't think I've opened in weeks.....just no time to do it. If I could participate in every discussion, I probably would.

• Banned User

Same here, Love the belles, love the "what if" or " how come threads" , and I love to wish happy birthday to as many as I can . But one I wish would go away, and I just do not peek in some as they do not interest me. I love the huor, the friendships and the sweet people here.

Totally depends on the thread. Some I ignore. Some I read every new post. Some I ignore, then take a peek, and either go back to ignoring it or keep up on it. Some I only read every week or so.

So not really an answer...
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• insufferable know-it-all

Many I ignore unless I'm totally bored, or if they stay active and I wonder if there's something I *ought* to know about (aka drama)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Many I ignore unless I'm totally bored, or if they stay active and I wonder if there's something I *ought* to know about (aka drama)
    LOL! ah yes, the drama .........

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann[I
    What do you do?[/I]

Well, that depends.

Do you yell "yipee!, I have found my favorite thread."? Do You joyfully click, and read, and post, which sends that thread to the front of the line again?

Maybe. I'm a sucker for the word games types threads like Ping Pong and Reflex Action. I have to resist the urge to post at those again until enough other people have taken a turn.

Or do you ignore it? You decide, by it's title, that it can't possibly have anything in it, that would interest you. So, you never peek inside the thread, to see why it might be so popular. You wonder a lot, everytime you see the thread, but you are never tempted to "click".

That's quite often the case for me except I don't wonder a lot. I just know I don't want to read it.

The third response to this rhetorical question is, of course, to click and take a look. This action can invoke 3 responses of it's own. You instantly decide that you have found your soul mates. Or you might decide that you absolutely will never "click" on that thread again, after giving it a fair read. The third response will be somewhere in the middle ground. Understanding the comradery of the people involved in the thread, you pop in from time to time, and may even post something.

I often do that with the political and religious threads because I feel that I can learn a lot from them, especially if I see that some of the people posting are those who I know from past posts know how to discuss and/or debate things in an intelligent , interesting and respectful manner. And someone may not be my "soul mate", but the exact opposite of me in their views and beliefs in which case I come away feeling the most challenged, and that is always really rewarding to me.

As far as the more "personal " threads , if I find the discussions interesting or humorous, I may observe and/or participate. If not, I won't.

That's the beauty of the board...it's all a choice!

So what do you do, when a thread won't go away? Remember now, this is a rhetorical question.

What I said at the beginning. It all depends. And sometimes the best thing to do is nothing but just ignore it!