Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Minion

Trekkie Dad's Diet and Exercise Thread: Finding the plan you can stick to.

My favorite threads in that "other forum" are the ones where people encourage one another to stick to their exercise and diet plans and report about their successes. I'd like to start that here, since I've heard that so many of us are overweight. Here's my story:

At 5'7" the most I ever weighed was 178 lbs. That was about nine years ago. Then I discovered cycling. First it was mountain biking. I went to a weekend training camp and came home committed to getting a new bike. It would become my "two-wheeled exercise plan" and I determined to drop the weight of the bike from my frame.

And it worked. In about a year I lost 25 lbs. I rode the bike to work (only a couple of miles at the time) and took every opportunity to ride before or after work and on weekends. I started riding with the local bike club and bought a used road bike. The club's moderate rides were hard for me, but I refused to give up and found myself getting stronger and fitter.

But over the years I gained most of the weight back. All that riding allowed me to be undisciplined with my eating. Some of the weight gain was muscle, so at 172 I was at least in good shape--or so I thought.

Last November was a rude awakening. On my first visit to a new doctor (a cyclist himself) he decided to run a few blood tests. Everthing was nominal and pretty darn good for a man of 55 years, except for a LDL of 164. Doc said all the cycling probably kept things from being worse. After asking me about what I was routinely eating, he gave me 5 months to bring my LDL below 130 through dietary change alone. "No red meat" was the first thing he said. "Eat more fish instead." "Read the labels. Watch out for saturated fat." And so it went.

"I can do this," I thought. I'm not a picky eater, and I like fish--especially salmon. There's plenty of tasty food out there that's on the plan. So I got on the low-fat bandwagon and stuck pretty closely to the guidelines. Even eating out at Disneyland, I stuck to the healthier choices on the menu.

The result: my LDL dropped to 127 by the April test, and by summer my weight had dropped to about 160. Fellow riders in the club started to notice my weight loss (It's hard to conceal much in bike clothes.), and my ability to climb improved. I'm now approaching 155.

And it gets better. A week ago I completed a 102 mile ride (with 4700' of elevation gain) in under 6.5 hours of rolling time at an average speed of 15.9 mph. That was the day after a "warm-up" ride of 27 miles and 3000'. I'm hopelessly hooked on cycling. I ride between 6000-7000 miles/year, and I feel better than ever. My only regret is that I hadn't discovered cycling (and the people I ride with) sooner!

So what's your diet/exercise plan? Have you found the one you can stick to day after day, year after year, and never tire of it? Share it here. Maybe your story will encourage someone else to get off the couch and get moving.
    Last edited by Trekkie Dad; 09-26-2005 at 08:59 PM.

• GO DBACKS!!

Re: Trekkie Dad's Diet and Exercise Thread: Finding the plan you can stick to.

TD, you are bound and determined to drag me into a healthy lifestyle kicking and screaming aren't you.

You are my hero you know. We are currently remodeling our spare bedroom in to a mini-gym. We are getting our treadmill next month. This will be the best thing for me since I do not have time to go to the gym.

You need to post some of your best healthy meals, OK?

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Earkid
    TD, you are bound and determined to drag me into a healthy lifestyle kicking and screaming aren't you.

You are my hero you know. We are currently remodeling our spare bedroom in to a mini-gym. We are getting our treadmill next month. This will be the best thing for me since I do not have time to go to the gym.

You need to post some of your best healthy meals, OK?
    Here's a tasty tip: Dip that bread in a little olive oil instead of spreading butter on it.

Kicking is good, but the screaming has got to go. Bad for the voice. And I'd better not hear you are hanging clothes on the treadmill, OK?

• GO DBACKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad
    And I'd better not hear you are hanging clothes on the treadmill, OK?
    Not even the ones I finish ironing? Ironing is good for the upper body strength........if you do it fast enough.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Earkid
    Not even the ones I finish ironing? Ironing is good for the upper body strength........if you do it fast enough.
    Well, you'd have to have two irons--one for each hand. And they'd have to weigh 15 lbs each. Who irons clothes anyway?

• Senior Minion

Great Job Trekkie dad, now you need too do the Climb To Kaiser. Harder then the Death Ride (the Tour of the California Alps) In Markleeville.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    Great Job Trekkie dad, now you need too do the Climb To Kaiser. Harder then the Death Ride (the Tour of the California Alps) In Markleeville.
    Have you done either? I know people who have; they're not crazy, just insane! (My doctor is a regular on the Death Ride.)

Last month a small group of us did a little three day "training camp" out of Bear Valley. First day--down to Spicer and back, Second day--Markleeville for lunch and back. Third day I was pretty well fried when we rode from Markleeville over Monitor to the county line and back.

I'll put the Ebbetts Pass avatar back up.

• Happy Memories

Impressive. I desperately wish I was able to find the perfect plan for me. I've been steadily gaining for a few years now, and worse yet, feeling really gross and out of shape. I've never been the perfect specimen of hottness or anything, but once upon a time I was heavily involved in dancing 6-7 days a week and running around on stage often. Now i work two jobs, one that includes sitting on my butt for 8 hours a day and the other staring at food until it makes me hungry. It's a bad cycle I'm in. I don't have a lot of energy because i'm out of shape, but i can't find the time to get in shape because I don't have the energy to work at it. I've tried several plans. the best time I find for myself to workout is first thing in the morning, before work, but after about a week of that I just get grumpy and unpleasant to be around. The one thing i do have going for me is that I actually prefer/crave healthier food options more often that unhealthy ones. The problem is aquiring those healthier options on my schedule.

Any tips for a rapdly growing worker bee?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    Any tips for a rapdly growing worker bee?
    Hmmmm, looks like you have a challenge there. Let me throw out some ideas:

When you worked out in the morning, was it weight training, aerobics, or a combo? Every day? Was there an element of fun? Some places have spin classes in the early hours. I've only been once; I like cycling on the road better.

What about your lunch hour? Many people find that a good time to work out.

Do you live close enough to walk to work or ride a bike? I'm just under 4 miles away and ride most days.

Any potential workout partners at work? Would your employer like to save some dough by having a healthier work force? One that uses fewer sick days and lowers insurance premiums?

I'm sure others here might have some ideas.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Thanks for starting this thread!
    I'm working on losing some weight to get healthy!
    I'm already an active walker but am hanging on to some pounds. So weights and some diet changes are next on my list.

• Happy Memories

Hmmmm, looks like you have a challenge there. Let me throw out some ideas:

When you worked out in the morning, was it weight training, aerobics, or a combo? Every day? Was there an element of fun? Some places have spin classes in the early hours. I've only been once; I like cycling on the road better.

What about your lunch hour? Many people find that a good time to work out.

Do you live close enough to walk to work or ride a bike? I'm just under 4 miles away and ride most days.

Any potential workout partners at work? Would your employer like to save some dough by having a healthier work force? One that uses fewer sick days and lowers insurance premiums?

I'm sure others here might have some ideas.
    Excellent suggestions all. I tried several different am workouts. tried walking or jogging round the neighborhood, tried differnt styles of workout tapes and or techniques I knew from my dancing days (these efforts were constantly hindered by pets wanting to play when daddy got on the floor. lol). My town, and the places I go aren't really laid out well for walking or riding to most destinations unfortunately or I would. Can't afford to shell out for a gym membership, mostly because i know I wouldn't go often enough to be worth the cash. There also isn't a nice one near enough to home or work.

Lunch hour would be great if it was a bit more consistent, but that fluctuates quite a bit. Sometimes i don't even take a break, just eat at my desk so I can get in the necesary hours and leave earlier for other things.

I know these all probably sound like the usual cliche excuses everyone comes up with for not getting healthier, but they are the challenges I face. I'd love to come up with some simple stuff I can do in my office (now that I have a somewhat private office). I know the options available there are going to completely solve the problem, but every little bit helps right?

• Senior Minion

Have you done either? I know people who have; they're not crazy, just insane! (My doctor is a regular on the Death Ride.)

Last month a small group of us did a little three day "training camp" out of Bear Valley. First day--down to Spicer and back, Second day--Markleeville for lunch and back. Third day I was pretty well fried when we rode from Markleeville over Monitor to the county line and back.

I'll put the Ebbetts Pass avatar back up.
    Well you need a minium of a 27 tooth cog in the back for completing Kaiser. Alot of folks use triples of course but that does not always do it.Also even the fittest complain it is too hard and do their preparations soley around that ride because of its degree of hardness, and length. And I was in good shape.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    Well you need a minium of a 27 tooth cog in the back for completing Kaiser. Alot of folks use triples of course but that does not always do it.Also even the fittest complain it is too hard and do their preparations soley around that ride because of its degree of hardness, and length. And I was in good shape.
    I have a 34 in the front to go with the 27 in the back, but that doesn't mean I'm crazy enough to try c2k. I've heard several stories about that one. I'm a fair climber, but I still outweigh the house cat.

Saturday is Mountain Ranch/Sheep Ranch. The ride starts in San Andreas, goes through MR and SR, and then on to Murphys, Angels Camp, Dogtown, and Calaveritas before returning to San Andreas. According to our database it's 49 miles, 5500', with the steepest grade at 17%.

• Minion

Hey Trekkie dad!! How are you?? Good I hope!! Nice to see you!! I am still on the beach, south beach that is!! I am still walking samantha belle several times a day!! So happy to hear about your great lab results!! You rock Trekkie Dad!!!
    Any day at Disneyland is a Happy Day!!!!

• Mexihick, y'all

I make sure to stay as active as possible. As soon as I leave work every other day I head to the gym for an hour on the bike followed by an hour of weights. The days I'm not in the gym are spent either jogging, riding a bike, or playing softball. Couple that with eating healthy (nothing over 10g of fat).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast