Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,899
    Blog Entries
    120

    My Wish For Mothers Everywhere

    My wish for mothers everywhere is that their children, would take the time to call them and spend time with them many times throughout the year, and not just on Mother's Day. I know that it is great when the family "puts on the dog" for Mother's Day. As a mother, I wish that I saw more of my children. I wish that they called more. I know that they have lives, and jobs, and that they are busy. I'd like to know my children better. I'd like to spend more time with them. Don't they know how much I like to talk? I'd like to talk to them.

    My own mother would get embarassed if we showed her too much attention. She'd even request us not to fuss over her on Mother's Day. Sometimes we would listen, and sometimes we didn't.

    I spent more time with my mother during the last years of her life, than when she was raising me. She'd always have a smile when I'd show up unexpectedly. I did that more than a phone call, because as she aged, she didn't always answer the phone.

    This is a picture of my mom. Her name was Anna Marie. My sister and I were both named after her. I was named Barbara Ann, and my sister is Sheila Marie. My mom passed away on February 25, 2008.


  2. #2

    • formerly PretzelSouls!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    805,CA
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: My Wish For Mothers Everywhere

    That's a very sweet story, Barbaraann. <3

    Happy Mother's Day everyone!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau


  3. #3

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,478

    Re: My Wish For Mothers Everywhere

    Happy Mothers Day to you Barbaraann ..and to every wonderful Mom out there. Your genuine love, commitment and many sacrafices make families strong and happy. Without you, our nation would have fallen on on it's face long ago.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  4. #4

    •   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Posts
    65,820
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: My Wish For Mothers Everywhere

    You always come up with the greatest ideas for threads Barbara!

    Happy Mothers Day to Mothers everywhere! I'm talking to my daughter in Nor Cal on the phone as I type this... who said moms can't multi task! Any minute I expect her to harass me about hearing me typing at the same time!

    I don't have a lot of pictures of my own mom. Like me, she prefered to be behind the camera and not in front of it. In her younger days people managed to get a few pictures of her. When I saw Barbara's thread, I dug out a few of them and scanned them to share.

    After my dad died in 1973 it was just my mom and I for a few years before I got married. Looking back, I'm amazed my mom didn't strangle me... considering many of the things I pulled on her during those teenage years. But maybe because she herself was raised by her grandparents and never really knew her own mother, she looked the other way on a lot of stuff I did as a kid...

    My mom.. Pauline. Born 2-23-21 Died 4-23-96.

    Happy Mothers Day mom, to that cloud I know you sit on while you keep an eye on me...





    Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!


    Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    18,922

    Re: My Wish For Mothers Everywhere

    Pass the Kleenex guys. These photos and stories are so precious.

    My mom was Betty Lou. She was born 5-14-1924 and passed on 2-4-1970. I was only 9 and she was only 45. She had cancer.

    Here is a photograph of her with me at Disneyland in 1967. I believe she knew that her illness was not going to end well and took me to DL for the first time then. I always stand by Monstro, to this day, and have a photo taken. And, I cherish Monstro because this is one place I can stand where I stood with my mom.


  6. #6

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: My Wish For Mothers Everywhere

    Thanks, Barbaraann, for the thread and everyone for the photos and thoughts.

    I visited my Mom at her assisted living/retirement center, 150 miles from me, on her birthday last Monday.

    We both lamented the fact that neither of us knew where virtually any of the photos of years gone by went to. My brother Donn might have them, but the three of us are having our difficulties (Mom and me with him) right now.

    I will attempt to call my Mom after I get home this evening...She was lovingly surprised when I showed up Monday without her knowing beforehand.

    We hadn't talked in quite some time. She doesn't even know about my illness last fall and hospitalization. I haven't wanted her to worry.

    She sits in a hospital bed, as an invalid. I try to encourage her to get involved in activities. She says she doesn't like the other people there. If I push, she gets defensive. I asked her about her thoughts for the future - she says her future, is death. It is hard to see her this way. But I certainly plan to check in with her at least every week or 10 days. Next time I come to visit, maybe I'll bring a crossword puzzle book we can work on, together. Otherwise, it's TV and hearing her complain aboutthe staff or others in her room. I'm sure she can't really help it. At least now she's in a room where she has a view of her Newport Beach area surroundings.

    You've all touched my heart today. I wish I had a picture of her to post. She was a remarkably beautiful woman in her youth.

    To me, she still is today...at age 71.

    Happy Mothers Day to all, including the mothering and loving and nurturing instinct that we all have.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 05-10-2009 at 01:17 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  7. #7

    • I eat TR's for breakfast!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    1,767

    Re: My Wish For Mothers Everywhere

    Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Pass the Kleenex guys. These photos and stories are so precious.

    My mom was Betty Lou. She was born 5-14-1924 and passed on 2-4-1970. I was only 9 and she was only 45. She had cancer.

    Here is a photograph of her with me at Disneyland in 1967. I believe she knew that her illness was not going to end well and took me to DL for the first time then. I always stand by Monstro, to this day, and have a photo taken. And, I cherish Monstro because this is one place I can stand where I stood with my mom.

    Cancer is just horrible! My mom recently survived Hip Cancer. I'm glad she's okay (my mom) and that you can share this story (of your mom) with us in happiness.

    I made her an egg sandwich with strawberries and a tinkerbell card.

    I wrote

    "what good are LEGS when you have WINGS"

    she liked it

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    18,922

    Re: My Wish For Mothers Everywhere

    Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    But I certainly plan to check in with her at least every week or 10 days. Next time I come to visit, maybe I'll bring a crossword puzzle book we can work on, together. .
    .
    Awww Barry. Very sad. I think it would help her mental state a LOT if you did call every week or 10 days. And, if you popped in with a puzzle to do together or recall FUN family memories of the past. Maybe that would help her to perk up and feel more hopeful in life. I know that it would me if my kids did that for me.

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    18,922

    Re: My Wish For Mothers Everywhere

    Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    Cancer is just horrible! My mom recently survived Hip Cancer. I'm glad she's okay (my mom) and that you can share this story (of your mom) with us in happiness.

    I made her an egg sandwich with strawberries and a tinkerbell card.

    I wrote

    "what good are LEGS when you have WINGS"

    she liked it
    That's really cute. You done good! I'm sure she loved it.

  10. #10

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,478

    Re: My Wish For Mothers Everywhere

    Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Pass the Kleenex guys. These photos and stories are so precious.

    My mom was Betty Lou. She was born 5-14-1924 and passed on 2-4-1970. I was only 9 and she was only 45. She had cancer.

    Here is a photograph of her with me at Disneyland in 1967. I believe she knew that her illness was not going to end well and took me to DL for the first time then. I always stand by Monstro, to this day, and have a photo taken. And, I cherish Monstro because this is one place I can stand where I stood with my mom.

    Bless your sweet heart, IHD. Judging by her intelligend and thoughtful daughter, your mom must have been some kind of wonderful. Taking you to Disneyland then means that she was a fun-loving, brave-spirited angel. Wouldn't be one bit surprised if God allows her to help Him watch over you.

    You have become a sourse of meaningful inspiration and support in my life. It is easy for me to believe you remain priority one in your mothers spiritual eyes and heart ..in her perfect body that defies time, gravity and inflictions.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  11. #11

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,478

    Re: My Wish For Mothers Everywhere

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    My wish for mothers everywhere is that their children, would take the time to call them and spend time with them many times throughout the year, and not just on Mother's Day. I know that it is great when the family "puts on the dog" for Mother's Day. As a mother, I wish that I saw more of my children. I wish that they called more. I know that they have lives, and jobs, and that they are busy. I'd like to know my children better. I'd like to spend more time with them. Don't they know how much I like to talk? I'd like to talk to them.

    My own mother would get embarassed if we showed her too much attention. She'd even request us not to fuss over her on Mother's Day. Sometimes we would listen, and sometimes we didn't.

    I spent more time with my mother during the last years of her life, than when she was raising me. She'd always have a smile when I'd show up unexpectedly. I did that more than a phone call, because as she aged, she didn't always answer the phone.

    This is a picture of my mom. Her name was Anna Marie. My sister and I were both named after her. I was named Barbara Ann, and my sister is Sheila Marie. My mom passed away on February 25, 2008.

    God bless you and your Mom too, Babaraann. She was a very pretty woman. She must have been extremely smart as her daughter is one of the wittiest and industrious people on this board. Mom's like her are tough. I believe her noble spirit is with you each and every day.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  12. #12

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,899
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: My Wish For Mothers Everywhere

    Thanks for posting the pictures of your beautiful mothers.

    In some ways I am a lot like my mom, and in others, we were total opposites. Our mothers, and our fathers help shape the people that we become.

    I did get a visit from my two sons yesterday, and I saw my one and only grandson as well. My grandson's mom is as close as I'll get to having a daughter.

    Remember to talk to your moms as much as you can throughout the year, and don't just reserve that for Mother's Day. That is my wish.

Similar Threads

  1. Club 33 Mothers Day
    By patattack in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
  2. Mothers
    By twinmom in forum Gibson Girls
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 11:09 AM
  3. Mothers Day
    By krisktbw in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 07:28 PM
  4. WHat did you do On mothers day
    By kelly in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 12:08 PM
  5. Mothers Day.. So what are you doing for it?
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-14-2006, 11:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •