• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Nick Adenhart Memorial Fund Established

Since Nick's death touched so many here beyond those that regularly visit the Sports Zone, I decided to start this thread here. Moderators, feel free to move it as you see fit.

I saw this on the Angels website today on mlb.com.

Even after Nick Adenhart had reached the Majors, the promising pitcher would wax nostalgically about his most memorable games in youth baseball, lucidly thinking as far back as when he was an eight-year-old.

So when his mother, Janet Gigeous, contemplated the appropriate way to honor the memory of Nick, killed by a hit-and-run drunk driver in an Orange County accident in the wee hours of April 9, the decision was easy.

Thus, Janet and Duane Gigeous have set up the Nick Adenhart Memorial Fund to support youth baseball leagues throughout the country.
    "Looking back over Nick's career, he had very fond memories of playing Little League and Pony League baseball," said Janet. "There were other possible directions for us to go in, such as anti-drunk-driving programs, but we felt strongly about the baseball side. "So this will be our work. It's a good way to honor Nick."
    The full article, including the adress to send contributions, can be found on the Angels website.

The perfect way, IMHO, to keep Nick's spirit alive.

-- Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 05-16-2009 at 06:09 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Nick Adenhart Memorial Fund Established

I remember that dozens of MiceChatters responded, understandably, with grief and anger after Nick's death. Therefore, I thought you wouldlike to know of his family's effort to bring about some hope for other youngsters, after the tragedy.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I think this is a wonderful tribute to him. Little League and Pony Leagues are not just stepping stones to a career in the majors or even college but they teach young people values just as team playing, sportsmanship, etc. Thanks for letting us know about this.

PS I notice that traffic is usually down on MiceChat on the weekends and that is possibly why others may not have seen this yet.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wendygirl View Post
    I think this is a wonderful tribute to him. Little League and Pony Leagues are not just stepping stones to a career in the majors or even college but they teach young people values just as team playing, sportsmanship, etc. Thanks for letting us know about this.

PS I notice that traffic is usually down on MiceChat on the weekends and that is possibly why others may not have seen this yet.
    Good point Wendy and I realize that about weekends here. I posted the thread as soon as I saw the story on the Angels website, Friday afternoon.

-- Barry

• Banned User

When I was in So. Cal. on vacation 3 weeks ago, I saw the corner where he was killed. It was near the Character Warehouse and there were flowers, balloons, stuffed monkeys in Angels uniforms, notes, candles, angel wings nailed to the tree with his jersey. You could see that it had touched so many people. I walked to both sides of the street and took photos. I can't find them right now on my computer, but, it was really sad to see, even though I live in Seattle and didn't know of him.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I have friends who play in the minors and who knew Nick and this loss was a really big shock to me. That's great that a memorial fund was established.
    The day before Easter, a SDSU baseball player that I had been friends with died in a desert accident and a fund was just recently set up for him. It's such a nice way to remember those who were lost.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

thanks for the share... yeah this is a great tribute to him..
    just do what you think...

• Minion

what happened to him?

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tassie View Post
    what happened to him?
    He was among three people killed when they car they were in was struck by a hit and run drunk driver in Fullerton, just a few miles north of Anaheim. The offending drunk driver went through a red light.

Adenhart had just made his first start of the season, and threw six strong innings just hours before.

(Link in the Original Post)

The case received a tremendous amount of coverage here in SoCal, and among the baseball press nationwide.

The Orange County DA has charged the drunk driver, who escaped with only minor injuries, with three counts of murder.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 05-17-2009 at 08:47 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Adenhart's loss is tragic in many different ways. I'm glad that this promissing young man is being remembered by a fund that will serve to support Little Leager and Pony Leager kids that love baseball.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

The gals who were working at the candy shop on that corner told us that the bodies were left in the car until the next day. Anyone know why that would happen? That sounds horrific to me. (And, they worked on the corner where the accident happened.) Wasn't there a 4th person in the car too? Are they fine now?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

And I thought I heard that the DD was over twice the legal limit and tried to run away.