• insufferable know-it-all

Cutting programs (or, why LAUSD sucks and the Valley needs to break off)

http://www2.dailynews.com/news/ci_3070145

It's about the horticulture program in a Valley school. As if the schools weren't bad enough 10 years ago, it sounds like they're getting progressively worse. IMO, vocational programs are *essential* in high school, because not everyone goes, or is suited to go, on to college. These kids need to graduate with more than algebra, they need skills that will help them get jobs.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• That's Hawt

Re: Cutting programs (or, why LAUSD sucks and the Valley needs to break off)

It sucks but it's not something central to LAUSD ... it's happening at schools throughout the state! When I graduated from my high school we had Foods, Home Ec, Wood Shop, Graphical Arts, and Automotive

This year they're down to Foods and Graphical Arts ... its very sad indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

I loved jr. high wood shop.

It's funny... when the schools were fuller, they cut programs because they were overcrowded and resources stretched too far. Now they say they have too few students.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Okay, I've had a thought about one thing I read in that article - specifically relating to the vocation classes that lead to construction (eg: wood shop, electrical, etc). How about a pilot program combining their classes with their required volunteerism? It seems to me that they could get together with Habitat for Humanity, explain the curriculum needs, and H4H could supply them with the plans for things THEY need. For example, roof beams. A lot of times you'll see pre-constructed roof triangles being trucked to a site where they're used to put up the roof pretty quickly. How about some of the more truckable walls? Plus, they could do on-site work helping build houses, helping out with the wiring, plumbing, etc. as the house progresses.

And given the involvement in a great charity program, it would probably be easier to get the community to donate money for supplies, etc.

Oh wait, someone would complain about "free labor". Bleh... it would be a good program.

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Okay, I've had a thought about one thing I read in that article - specifically relating to the vocation classes that lead to construction (eg: wood shop, electrical, etc). How about a pilot program combining their classes with their required volunteerism? It seems to me that they could get together with Habitat for Humanity, explain the curriculum needs, and H4H could supply them with the plans for things THEY need. For example, roof beams. A lot of times you'll see pre-constructed roof triangles being trucked to a site where they're used to put up the roof pretty quickly. How about some of the more truckable walls? Plus, they could do on-site work helping build houses, helping out with the wiring, plumbing, etc. as the house progresses.

And given the involvement in a great charity program, it would probably be easier to get the community to donate money for supplies, etc.

Oh wait, someone would complain about "free labor". Bleh... it would be a good program.
    That's what I was going to say, and the problem with it is the school would still have to pay for the facilities and staff as well as the risks they face having kids on a construction site. I'm not saying it's a bad idea ... I actually love it but in this sue happy age of lawyers I don't think something like that would fly unfortunately.
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Morri, are the cuts because these people are cheap? Or are they cutting things because they do not have enough money? Now I am not disagreeing with you at all and it does suck that these programs are leaving. But if they are cutting this stuff just to be cheap....The I will post my opinions on that after you answer my questions.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I don't think schools are cutting programs because they're "cheap." I do think, however, that too much money is spent from the top down rather than the bottom up.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    I don't think schools are cutting programs because they're "cheap." I do think, however, that too much money is spent from the top down rather than the bottom up.
    I compltely agree with that ... the year after I left and the cut the programs was when our Superintendent became the second highest paid in the state. People think that because we're in a wealthy area we get a lot of property money but in reality it isn't true because most of the homes are classified as vacation homes. It sucks ... the money goes to the completely wrong places.

Well, with the article, it's tough to say. The school says they don't have the money. Yet the article also mentions that the governator just approved a big boost for the schools. I think the main problem here is that in that particular school, attendance dropped by 300 students, so the school is getting less of the "per student" money from the (district?).

LAUSD is a financial mess, and has been for decades. Case in point: I took an algebra class in 1993, and the word problems in that book were about computer PUNCH CARDS. My argument is that the valley desperately needs to break off from LA, because it's looking more and more like LA itself every day. LA won't let the valley go, because it needs their money, but that's the very reason the valley is suffering so much - their money keeps going over the hill instead of helping out their local area.

I guess my thought is... there are times when perhaps one more academic class is less beneficial than one more vocational class. That's really what I wanted to talk about with this. A lot of the kids who need this vocational course are probably NOT going to go on to college, at least not directly. The vocational class is going to prove a lot more valuable to them for what they need to do after school (eg: get a job they can live on) than, say, remedial chemistry. I'm not saying there's no value to academic courses for everyone, just that if you're that tight, you have to ask, well, what are they going to do when they graduate?

I've long felt that after about age 16, kids should get to choose if they want to go academic or vocational. If they choose academic, the courses are harder (think honors and ap classes only), and if they choose vocational, they WILL graduate with a certificate in something (as well as receiving some academic-type courses focused on life skills such as understanding mortgages, running a business, etc). Even if a kid chooses vocational, they can always make up the missing academics in junior college (or rather would, if these changes were made because the jc's would have to be adjusted to include the courses), but at least if they aren't planning on college, they'll graduate with the ability to make a life for themselves. I think that's terribly important, and worth trimming back some lower-level academics for.

• Happy 2007!

Pretty much all districts in California are having financial problems, but I think the bigger the district, the bigger the problems. Any time you get an institution as large as LAUSD you are going to have money spent on the wrong things and good programs being cut. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen in smaller districts, but IMO it's easier to watch and have some say in smaller district (that goes for both teachers and parents). When I look at the bigger districts in my area (No. Cal), the most troubled are generally the bigger districts. Of course it doesn't help that those districts also include a lot of poverty-stricken areas.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the wonderful world of No Child Left Behind. So much of education now is forced to be "standards" based, that schools have to use what money they have to teach to the standards required by law. That means the programs that are just as important to the students, such as the vo tech programs are the first ones to get cut. Schools must teach the standards, because the students must past the standards on testing. The elementary school I use to work at, I understand the principal won't let the students check out books from the library unless they are "standards" based. Yeah thats a way to make kids WANT to read.

I know the high school I'm at now is even cutting back on those kinds of classes, and it has nothing to do with lack of enrollment. Six years ago when my daughter was there we had about 1500 students. Now we have 2300. The way they are throwing up houses around here by next year I'm guessing we will be up to 2500. Yet they keep cutting classes they need for life such as cooking and family living just like Morrigoon said.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Iron-Clad Allie

The schools receive fifty perdent of our tax money, and administrators are crying for more. The problem is, the administators and their ever growing staffs (and their special projects and pension funds) are syphoning off increasing sums of education money before it ever gets to the classrooms.

The vocational cuts are the most recent victims which surve to supplement waste. Of course, there's plenty of money for administrative dead weight to own luxury homes, rv's - and to take pleasure cruises on a monthly basis, should they so desire. The systym SuCKS hinee!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda
    Welcome to the wonderful world of No Child Left Behind.
    Also known as "No Public School Left Standing". I don't take issue with promoting standards, as much as the high-stakes testing and the sanctions that go along with failing meet the annual goals even by the merest fraction.