View Poll Results: Does anyone feel as if they were, or are, stereotyped?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I feel as if I were stereotyped before.

35 85.37%
  • I don't recall being stereotyped.

6 14.63%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• The Candidate

Re: Why do people get stereotyped?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    Stereotyped here by people who don't know anything about you except what they choose to interpret from posts- pretty much not important.
    There is a difference between stereotyping and judging people by their actions.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    There is a difference between stereotyping and judging people by their actions.

Sure- but for people to judge what kind of person they are dealing with based on a few words on a forum- requires stereotyping that person based on their words and past experiences.

My opinion still stands - judgement or stereotypes based on forum posts- rather than real life has no real bearing on anything.

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzydisneydee
    Nowadays, its not so bad being called a geek or a nerd. Before it was the kiss of death! Heck even big chain stores are getting into it (aka Best Buy with the Geek Squad). Its proudly said!
    You'd think...but recently in our apartment complex, my wife and I witnessed one heck of a teasing. A group of about 10 kids (porbably 6-10 years old) chanting "Compuuuuter nerd, compuuuuuter nerd..." at another kid. It went on for at least ten minutes. Some things never change.

As for the topic at large, to echo what others have said, stereotying is a natural mechanism to ease social interaction. It would be impossible for us to communicate effectively with the number of people we meet if we had to build a complete picture of every single individual. The danger comes when people mistake a general template for rigid truths.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Kids can be so cruel these days. Some of them really need some major adjusting. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be teased. Oh well that kid will probably be their boss some day. Anyway, why do blondes get stereotyped the way they do in jokes?

• I hate Mondays

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Kids can be so cruel these days. Some of them really need some major adjusting. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be teased. Oh well that kid will probably be their boss some day. Anyway, why do blondes get stereotyped the way they do in jokes?
    Because of people who perpetuate the myth- people like Pam Anderson, Jessica Simpson, Suzanne Sommers, et al. At least they can make a good living at it.

• Banned User

Sure- but for people to judge what kind of person they are dealing with based on a few words on a forum- requires stereotyping that person based on their words and past experiences.

My opinion still stands - judgement or stereotypes based on forum posts- rather than real life has no real bearing on anything.
    Did you say this hoping I wouldn't find it and start something, or hoping I would find it and start something?

• The Candidate

What does this mean?

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Tech_Disney
    Did you say this hoping I wouldn't find it and start something, or hoping I would find it and start something?
    I have no idea what you are even talking about-

What does this mean?
    It means that the stereotyping and judgement of strangers on a message forum- that are based on zero real life experience and only the words on a screen- that can often be misinterpreted- have no real effect, or should have no effect, on anyone's life- not in the "real" world. Mainly because they are often wrong-and are based on assumptions, rather than first hand knowledge of another person.

It's even more arrogant to stereotype people online- than it is in person- because you can't even see the person. It requires a surety of who that other person is- that rejects any notion that you might, in fact, be wrong about what kind of person they are-

On edit to say that I think we all sterotype to some extent- and sometimes we are right, sometimes wrong, and sometimes the stereotype is harmless, and sometimes it is hurtful. It can help us gauge a person- but then again, we can also do someone wrong by insisting on a stereotype where none exists.
    Last edited by Nephythys; 10-03-2005 at 12:41 PM.

• Rainicorn.

Everyone gets stereotyped. We all do it, too. It'd be a lie to say we don't!

But we can overcome them by getting to know each other or by listening to what people have to say.. you know? Like, I wouldn't appreciate if someone saw me and said "oh there goes another geeky Asian girl, I bet she's into ______." Ugh! I know it's not always possible, but give people the benefit of the doubt...
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Original Mice-Chatter

My favorite personal stereotype story-

Most everyone knows I am fairly conservative in politics- there is a guy here at work who found out after last years election that I was a Bush voter. He approached me at our holiday party and said "hey, you're the conservative girl right?" I said yeah- and he looked at me like I had two heads and said "why? You seem so cool!"

Uh huh- so the stereotype that being conservative means you are a stodgy, stuck up, non-creative stick in the mud? Yeah, shattered that one.

You can't judge a book by it's cover- or it's color, race, sexuality, or political ideology.

• The Candidate

Most everyone knows I am fairly conservative in politics-
    You are?

• Rainicorn.

My favorite personal stereotype story-

Most everyone knows I am fairly conservative in politics- there is a guy here at work who found out after last years election that I was a Bush voter. He approached me at our holiday party and said "hey, you're the conservative girl right?" I said yeah- and he looked at me like I had two heads and said "why? You seem so cool!"

Uh huh- so the stereotype that being conservative means you are a stodgy, stuck up, non-creative stick in the mud? Yeah, shattered that one.

You can't judge a book by it's cover- or it's color, race, sexuality, or political ideology.
    Oh God, ME TOO! I completely understand. I am a lone conservative in Southern California, no less. I don't hate on liberals or anything... But just because I'm conservative doesn't mean I'm a certain way.

I think that's with anything. "Just because I'm ______, doesn't mean I'm _____!"
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Original Mice-Chatter

You are?

*snort* uh huh

• Incognito

Blog Entries

You're right Nephy, ya cant judge a book....

People I initially meet are always saying to me "You're gay? You dont look Gay. You dont act like you're gay?" To which I respond "You should see me in the bedroom!" That usually shuts them up

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    You're right Nephy, ya cant judge a book....

People I initially meet are always saying to me "You're gay? You dont look Gay. You dont act like you're gay?" To which I respond "You should see me in the bedroom!" That usually shuts them up

Nice comeback-

I suspect- that if people actually KNEW me, they would never try to pin certain stereotypes on me again- but I don't care enough to correct their inaccurate assumptions- like I said, in real life, people usually find out that their assumptions are wrong....

Don't gay men always wear shrubbery on their head?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast