View Poll Results: Does anyone feel as if they were, or are, stereotyped?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I feel as if I were stereotyped before.

35 85.37%
  • I don't recall being stereotyped.

6 14.63%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: Why do people get stereotyped?

As noted, people categorize somebody new by what they have dealt with in the past, by some shared characteristic.

Sometimes they're right, often they're wrong. The trick is realizing where your expectations lie, and knowing that you can be wrong. Will often be wrong. Note where they are, and don't let those expectations limit you.

Personally, people likely assume any number of things about me. My husband's company probably thinks I'm Christian; they assume everybody is. Anybody who hears me mention my husband will think I'm straight. I'm not. Actually, it's very odd (even after 9 years of marriage) for me to think I married a dude. I tend to use non-gendered pronouns whenever possible, and I know that has been noticed on occasion, with the following question in their minds of ... Why?

People see I'm blonde and will expect me to be dumb, innocent, or both. That's a fun game to play.

Some things you can use to judge a person- the punker is likely to hold a certain set of beliefs, and the guy with his head shaved is likely (in my area anyway) to be either a gang-banger or a White Supremecist. Not always true, of course, and I worked for a while with a guy who was shaved and absolutely the opposite end of the spectrum. Some appearance issues are chosen in order to broadcast membership in or identification with a particular group. Some are not.

I originally said I don't remember being stereotyped but I guess that was incorrect.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon
    You'd think...but recently in our apartment complex, my wife and I witnessed one heck of a teasing. A group of about 10 kids (porbably 6-10 years old) chanting "Compuuuuter nerd, compuuuuuter nerd..." at another kid. It went on for at least ten minutes. Some things never change.
    It is stuff like this that makes my blood boil. God, some people piss me off so much! I wonder how they'd like it if they were the ones being teased?!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhop Micah
    It is stuff like this that makes my blood boil. God, some people piss me off so much! I wonder how they'd like it if they were the ones being teased?!
    we must feel sorry for them...they seem to be lacking in intelligence or parenatl guidence...they may struggle later in life...the computer nerd may have it made...look at bill gates...people feel threatened by things that are different than them or that they refuse to understand.....then again I may be sterotyping...LOL

• lol

LOL, nah, you're not. You hit the nail right on the head.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    You are?
    hahahahahazhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE MY FAVORITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Now I know that most of us have stereotyped before.

But I have found a link to a Harvard internet site that tests you on your hidden biases. I thought it was quite interesting. Now of course just because they give you results does not mean that their results are accurate with how you feel towards certain people but it is very interesting. I have taken a few of these tests several times and was shocked at the results.

I took a test about people with weight saying that I tend to be around more skinny people than people who are over weight.

I also took a test about weapons that said I think that Euro Americans are more less likely to have dangerous weapons than African Americans.

Now just because the test gave me those results does not mean that it is really true (they even say that in the disclaimer before the test) and I know they are not true.

But I think you may find taking some of these tests to be very easy and interesting. You can choose from a list of tests ranging from race and sexuality to weapons. If you take any of these tests. Please feel free to post the results here and do not be ashamed to do so. Most people will get results saying that they are biased in some form.

After you click the link below, a page will pop up and then you should click on "Go to the demonstration tests". Then click "I wish to proceed" after reading the disclaimer. The choose what test you want to take. After the test is over, your results will appear.

Here is the link:
    https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345