View Poll Results: Does anyone feel as if they were, or are, stereotyped?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I feel as if I were stereotyped before.

35 85.37%
  • I don't recall being stereotyped.

6 14.63%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Why do people get stereotyped?

I was just wondering, why do people always stereotype each other? Is it something natural that causes us to do this? I am pretty sure that just about everyone here has atleast stereotyped once. People stereotype southerners as people who wear overalls and live in a small cabin on the countryside. Westerners are stereotyped as gangs, cowboys and surfers. Why do people tend to stereotype?

• The Unknown Princess

Re: Why do people get stereotyped?

I would have to say ignorance and close-mindedness. Some may be possibly scared. Others may not know any better. Sometimes when you get stereotyped, being calm and not getting angry (and yes I know how hard that is) can help the other person learn.
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Not only do people do this but so do films. Even cartoons do this.

• Banned User

hey for your information we do live in cabins and wear over alls

and cowboys here do wear them big old hats, and ride horses and we have rodeo;s and oh heck I gave my self away, I am big old hick from Montana

• So!

Duuuuuuuuuuude you're tooooooooootaly right. Haaaawwww! It's totally un-excellent to stereotype. Catchya Later bro. Have a stellar day.

Oh, by the way....tubular song: http://a425.v8384d.c8384.g.vm.akamai...807_1_6_04.asf

...I had to do that...being from socal and all. As for the question...it happens because of influences, you could say...during childhood...and maybe a bad experience with someone that causes you to put that whole idea into that group of people.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    hey for your information we do live in cabins and wear over alls

and cowboys here do wear them big old hats, and ride horses and we have rodeo;s and oh heck I gave my self away, I am big old hick from Montana
    I agree with you completely. I live in a log house in the woods in a southern state away from the city. Hey we have something in common though Hakuna . There is definately nothing wrong with that . Plus I use to live in So. Cal a few years back. So I know about the "Stereotypes" down there too..

• The Unknown Princess

That's hard. But if you're talking about how people are in a certain place, its because of the lifestyle and culture they have.

For instance, where I live (Hawaii) is supposed to be one of the most beautiful places to vacation because of the weather and the people. The weather..we have no control over that but because it is in a temperate climate most people feel we should have 24/7/365 sunshine. Not everyone realizes that our winters are our rainy season. We need that rain for the green mountains you see in pictures. That we, the locals, can't control it and that we made it rain just because we hate non-Islanders (and no most people don't and there is a vocal group that does so we realize that's how it is protrayed via media).

Our people, on the other hand, are very easy-going (for the most part). It is the upbringing of the different cultures that we had to learn to be tolerant of others (again, for the most part).

Because of how the Islands were when the first Europeans came, most people think we wear grass skirts and coconut bras. It is how we (my ancestors) are remembered. They took that back and told stories and boom..a stereotype. If you meet more than one person of a certain place and they all seem to be the same, wouldn't you assume (and yes assume makes an *** out of u and me) that they are all similar?

IMO, that is how stereotypes are born.
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    Part of the Disney Ohana

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Thanks for bringing up the media thing Dizzy. I feel that the Aruban's were horribly stereotyped during the at one recent case (I forget the kidnapped girls name). Gretchen Van Sustren, a Fox reporter, said that the Arubans welcomed them with open arms but now want the media to leave Aruba. (Sarcastically thinking) I wonder why.

I just goes to say you should never judge a book by its cover.

•   
    • So fetch

Yep, it sucks but it's life. I don't get angry though because I know it's not true and that's all that counts.

• e komo mai

Sometimes people need to put you in little boxes with labels on them.
    That's too bad.

• I hate Mondays

Stereotyping is a by-product of our survival instinct. We size up people we meet in order to ascertain if they are friend or foe, and we draw upon our past associations, memories, etc when trying the make that determination. I am a hairstylist, blonde and female- so lots of people assume that I am not too burdened with brains. I don't really mind, because I am guilty of such things as well. As long as you keep an open mind and recognise that any first impressions you have are largely based on stereotypical information, then you are more apt to discover who and what that person is really about.

I did have a Physics Prof ask me why I did hair when I could have went on to (presumably) more important and intellectually stimulating vocation. I pointed out that even though he held a Doctorate in Physics, he was paying me to cut his hair.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy
    I did have a Physics Prof ask me why I did hair when I could have went on to (presumably) more important and intellectually stimulating vocation. I pointed out that even though he held a Doctorate in Physics, he was paying me to cut his hair.

That is a very good quote Wendy. I like that.

• no flash photography...

yeah,....just because I'm a large breasted blonde people assume I'm an airhead... also just because I have a straight posture and somewhat shy, so i don't talk to people I don't know alot people assume I'm a snob...(but I guess I can be in certain situations.....like I only buy name brans food...no store brands... ...I also don't buy payless shoes.....but does that really make me a snob???....hmmmmm)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I like name brands more than store brands too.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    yeah,....just because I'm a large breasted blonde people assume I'm an airhead... also just because I have a straight posture and somewhat shy, so i don't talk to people I don't know alot people assume I'm a snob...(but I guess I can be in certain situations.....like I only buy name brans food...no store brands... ...I also don't buy payless shoes.....but does that really make me a snob???....hmmmmm)
    well said!! ( I knew you were cool a long time ago!!!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast