• Senior Minion

Barbie Fans... check this out !

http://www.modbee.com/life/buzzz/sto...12033415c.html

I see this car all over Modesto. You can't miss it! lol
    E-mail this story Print this story E-mail updates Subscribe to the Print Edition

All Dolled Up
    Modesto teenager gives new meaning to phrase 'toy car'

By MADELINE KEY
    TEENS IN THE NEWSROOM

Last Updated: September 29, 2005, 07:06:38 AM PDT

It's been known to attract stares, catcalls and honks. It even stops traffic.
    It is the car every little girl dreams of — a 1998 Kia Sportage that looks just like Barbie's Jeep.

Painted pink, adorned with flowers and pink carpeting, it is driven by De'Ondra Salazar, a 17-year-old senior at Modesto High School.

Although her friends have been known to compare Salazar, who is blonde, to the popular fashion doll, she insists the idea of the Barbie car came from the vehicle itself.

"I bought the Kia because I liked the style," she said. "But all of my friends and family kept telling me the car looked exactly like something Barbie would own.

"The idea seemed cute, so my parents and I toyed around with getting something simple like a sticker on a side panel."

The idea quickly escalated. The Salazars approached Design Interactions, a design firm that specializes in applying vehicle wraps, or full color graphics on vehicles.

Mike Stampar, creative director at Design Interactions, said the car became his pet project.

"Because it was so personal and so fun, we wanted to see how far we could truly take the idea and push the limits," he said.

The process cost about $4,000 to $5,000 and took several weeks. Now, the Barbie car is completely customized or "wrapped," inside and out.

The result is jaw-dropping. The car has seats with "Barbie" printed on the headrest and dozens of multi-colored flowers on the interior and exterior.

The outside features two shades of pink. The license plate reads TOOPINK.

Tom Hatfield, owner of Advanced Interior Restoration Services, assisted Design Interactions on the interior of the car. He printed the seats with a Barbie logo using a unique process.

"There has never been an attempt to print full color on leather, as far as we are aware," he said.

That's just a minor detail to casual observers, who are constantly getting into the spirit of the car.

"You wouldn't believe the questions I get asked. It ranges from 'Where's Ken' to asking where I got the car," Salazar said. "There have even been a few people that asked for my autograph."

Although she enjoyed the attention at first, she now says it is overwhelming.

Radio station KHOP once asked listeners to "find the Barbie car." Listeners called in with their sightings.

Salazar's boyfriend refuses to ride in the car because he's too embarrassed. And Salazar feels that she can never go out unless she's well-dressed and wearing make-up.

"As much as people are looking at the car, they're also looking to see who's inside," she said.

Is it all worth it?

"Definitely," she said. "I still love it."

Madeleine Key, 15, is a junior at Modesto High School. She is a member of The Bee's Teens in the Newsroom journalism program.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 10-01-2005 at 09:22 PM.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Barbie Fans... check this out !

Mattel should pay for her gas
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• All you need is LOVE

Sweet

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

No pictures?

I wonder what Mattel would think of this
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Waiting for the stork

I want to see pictures....
    procrastibating

• Still wants to be a cat!

Need pics TicTocDragon, get out there on you bike and shoot some!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    No pictures?

I wonder what Mattel would think of this
    Im not sure what they think. There were pictures on the newspaper I recieved, but I could not find the same photos of it on the Modesto Bee Website.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    Ha ha, that's a great picture, TTD on his bike trying to keep up with a pink jeep. i'm picturing the girl chucking Barbies at you while you try to catch up!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    Well the next time she stops by the store I will ask to snap a few. I see her all the time when I drive home or ride and I always have a camera with me. So I will see what I can do.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    Ha ha, that's a great picture, TTD on his bike trying to keep up with a pink jeep. i'm picturing the girl chucking Barbies at you while you try to catch up!

what is the deal. I live in Modesto and have never seen this van. No fair. My daughter would love it. I want to see that Barbie van.
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by poohnpiglet
    what is the deal. I live in Modesto and have never seen this van. No fair. My daughter would love it. I want to see that Barbie van.
    It is a 98 Kia. I always see her on Scenic Drive all the time. One time she was out in front where I work and I rushed to get my camera and missed the chance.