Measurements for carry-on bag

Last year, I bought the "Disneyland 55 Resort" duffle bag at Disneyland. I want to use it as a carry-on, when I measured it (I hope I measured it right), it said 22" long. Alaska Air says 24". I hoping someone at Alaska doesn't try to charge me for extra luggage. Did anyone buy one last year and have anyone used it as a carry on?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Measurements for carry-on bag

Quote Originally Posted by katy621 View Post
    Last year, I bought the "Disneyland 55 Resort" duffle bag at Disneyland. I want to use it as a carry-on, when I measured it (I hope I measured it right), it said 22" long. Alaska Air says 24". I hoping someone at Alaska doesn't try to charge me for extra luggage. Did anyone buy one last year and have anyone used it as a carry on?
    If it's that close in measurements, I don't think they will give you a problem. Maybe just try not to overpack it, so it can be squished to fit?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• A Weather Eye Open

i've been flying a bit in the past few years, and i've definitely seen a lot of carry ons that were way OVER the size limit. those roll-aboards, when stuffed full, can be particularly large, and they have no give. Even if your duffel doesn't fit under your seat, it will probably fit just fine in the overhead bins, and since it's a duffel, it has give to its shape so it can be smushed a bit to fit even if it is on the bigger side. I doubt you'll have a problem! Even if you're traveling on a small plane, they let you know and check your carry on at the plane door with a pink tag, and you pick it up when you disembark.
    Last edited by StrikeYerColors; 07-04-2009 at 06:14 PM.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• DL Obsessed

should be no problem, i've brought some pretty large bags into on the plane with me no problem. in fact, im pretty sure they dont even measure it, so if its anywhere close, its fine.
    They probably just make the rule so people dont try bringing on huge luggage

• Banned User

Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air - Carry-On Baggage
    You're allowed one carry-on bag, which can measure up to 10" H x 17" W x 24" L (25 x 43 x 61 cm), plus one personal item, such as a purse, briefcase or laptop computer. At least one of the items should be stowed under the seat in front of you.
    So do not worry about your bag. The bag cannot get longer so it will be fine unless you so stuff it that it looks like a balloon. 22 < 24 thus you are fine.

If you get a bulkhead seat you will of course have to put your purse, laptop, and other items in the overhead bin during taxiing, take off, and landing.

• Laughing Place Finder

I agree with the other posts above. I fly every 6-8 weeks cross-country in addition to flying Virgin America and Alaska to Disneyland once or twice per year. I see tons of people bringing things on that are nowhere close the carry-on guidelines and they don't raise a fuss about it.

The only time they are likely to talk to you about it is if all the overhead bins are full by the time you board in which case they'll gate-check the bag as mentioned by twobluestripes above.

Hope that helps and have a great trip.

One tip about Alaska Airlines is that they've been serving Jones Soda instead of Coca Cola on their flights. If you are hooked on Diet Coke like I am or have an aversion to Jones Soda make sure you buy some from a fast food place or sundries shop between security and boarding the plane.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

When we flew American last week, they were having people show that their bags could fit in the luggage tester-frame thingy, right at the gate door, and then taking bags that did not fit for gate checking.