• Future Imagineer! =D

Disney Imagineer Requirements

I'm not sure where I'm suppose to put this thread so I posted it in the MiceChat Main Lounge (I think). It has been my dream since I was 7 to become a Disney Imagineer. One big problem though- I am really bad at drawing. Correction- terrible. My dreams and my heart would really be crushed if I don't become an Imagineer; and no, I'm not being dramatic. Can I still become an Imagineer even though I'm not so good at drawing? I have great ideas and am very smart, but I am not so good in the drawing department. College and all that is still a while away for me, but I want to start planning now and I'm terrified that Disney won't let me be an Imagineer just because I'm not good with drawing. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Future Imagineer! =D

Re: Disney Imagineer Requirements

Anybody?
    Sorry, I get really unpatient lol
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

You want to be an Imagineer. You and everybody else, kid! :-)

Well, first...don't confuse animator with imagineer! Do some looking on the ol' internet and see what Imagineers really do. Artists can be Imagineers, but not all Imagineers are artists. They research, design, engineer, build...

• Senior Minion

If you want to get into the creative/visual side of WDI, you'll need to be able to express yourself visually to some degree. Not everyone can become a great draftsman, but everyone (yes, everyone) can be taught to draw as a way of seeing. Talk to your school counselors for leads on where art classes are taught in your area for your age range. As you go through high school, get plugged into all the art studies that you can, both in and out of school.

Studying drawing and painting is only partly about learning to produce drawings and paintings. It's very much about learning to see.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You'll need a degree in accounting or engineering or theater or mathematics or sculpture. But you'll need to narrow it down to one of those fields or find another specialty, and you may find your interests branch into something else along the way.

I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Thank you so much everyone! I have a book all about imagineering and have looked on the website and all that. I basically have all my life planned! haha! I want to design rides, maybe not design, but brainstorm ideas. Know what I mean? I also think it would be fun to decorate the interiors of rides, stores, and restraurants in Disneyland. I plan on getting an engineering degree. Sometimes I'm good at drawing, but I require constant help and instruction from an art expert and a ruler to keep my lines straight! I know for sure than an Imagineer is what I want to be. People who don't love Disney like I do think I'm crazy or joking when I say I want to be an Imagineer
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

• Future Imagineer! =D

I also read somewhere that Marc Davis, I believe, said that people who can't draw don't belong with Disney. Yikes! A tad harsh, don't you think? I hope this isn't the case! lol. I'm sure either way if I put my mind to it and try hard than I can become an Imagineer no matter what. I'll find some department I love that doesn't require a lot of art. What type of research do the Imagineers do? I love researching stuff so this could be fun for me to do.
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

• I'm not really here

WDI hires people across more than 140 disciplines, from landscape artists to costuming, lighting, physicists, chemists, writers, accountants, etc.

In order to work for WDI, you need to have experience in the real world in your field... from everything I have read, they basically don't take anyone straight out of college. They want you to have practical experience DOING your job, not just studying it. This also means more than just a single job. They really want you seasoned by different experiences.

It also helps, from what various Imagineers have said, to have knowledge in other areas that relate to your expertise. That way you are much better at seeing the larger picture.

Drawing is not a requirement according to various imagineers (show writers whouldn't need to be able to draw), but you MUST be able to express your ideas either in writing or drawing very well. You must be articulate and able to explain or present your ideas. Problem solving skills will also go a long way to helping you out.

Thinking outside of the box, creatively will also help you as many WDI projects have only come to fruition through a non-standard solution to a problem. Curiosity helps too I'm sure. The desire to always be learning and exploring and trying new things seems to be a hallmark of the Imagineers.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Future Imagineer! =D

Thank you so much! My parents told me if I get a degree in engineering that while I'm in college I should get an internship with Chevron. They pay people with engineering degress a lot! I'm not really sure if this would help with my Disney job, but maybe. I have lots of creativity when it comes to Disney and already have a notebook filled with ride ideas and other ideas for the theme parks! I have always had the desire to learn more and I am not afraid to question myself or others. Disney also has competitions for students in college and I am planning to take part in these when I'm in college (if you win one the competitions than you automatically get an internship as an Imagineer!). But then again maybe I'll change my mind before college and decide to pursue something else and even if this happens Disneyland will still be very near and dear to my heart!
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

You can be taught to draw the sort of things engineers and architects do. Using rulers is not a problem in those areas, and is probably encouraged or even required. Drafting classes will take care of that. But do explore art classes. You might find out you're a great sculptor or modeler or just need practice to improve your drawing skills.

I think it was John Lasseter who said 'if you can't draw, you don't belong in this building' (I'm pretty sure someone, maybe AliasD, has that on their sig) but I think he was referring to the notion some people had that Pixar isn't 'real' animation because it isn't hand-drawn.

Try to find something you love to do. Even if you don't end up at Disney, you'll still be doing what you love.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Thanks! I'm okay when it comes to drawing buildings
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

I also had some other questions related to becoming an Imagineer. I'm currently majoring in biology and was originally hoping to do something in the health field. However, I'm not exactly enjoying the material and was considering switching into some kind of engineering.

I know there's different kinds of Imagineers, but generally speaking, what things do they look for and what does it take to get hired? Being an Imagineer sounds like it's more of a niche occupation since there's only one Disney and I'd imagine getting through the selection process would be difficult. Would I have a better shot at getting hired as some kind of Imagineer or getting into med school and becoming a doctor?