View Poll Results: Would you be interested in such a website?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 94.12%
  • No

1 5.88%

Question Gauging interest for a Disneyland Data Website

Hello, all!

This is my first post, but I'm a long time reader of all things Disney!

Anyway, my girlfriend and I are huge fans of Disneyland (obviously) and we came up with a great idea for a Disneyland web site (which would not overlap with MiceChat or any of its affiliates, and could be a partner). I am a web application developer and have a lot of experience with database-driven social web applications, so I can make the site just fine. However, I wanted to gauge the community interest before I undertook such a project.

The core idea for the website is data about Disney parks, and ultimately a sort of Disney park enthusiast social tool with features like the following:

RIDE WAIT TIMES
    Community members could submit wait times for rides throughout the park, and people could look and see not just the latest reported wait time, but seasonal, monthly, and daily averages and graphs of the wait times. The system could even tell you what the best time of day, or time of year would be to ride that particular ride. The submission system for this could be automated through an iPhone app and a Twitter bot.

ACCELEROMETER DATA
    We had this crazy idea to strap an accelerometer (possibly an iPhone) to someone's leg and then record the resulting G-forces on each ride in the park which would create some fun graphs.

COMPARATIVE STATISTICS
    The database of attractions could be easily viewed by longest ride track, ride time, or any other metric.

PHOTO SHARING
    Since there would be a database of attractions, people could upload photos (or link to their Flickr photos) and attach them to a particular attraction. People could then "heart" or "fave" their favorite photos.

LINK/ESSAY SHARING
    People could link to or republish (with permission of course) essays or blog posts about a particular attraction or park, with the same voting system on these links as the photos.

These are just some of the ideas for this site, and we would love to bring something like this to the community. It would not be a for-profit operation of course, and it would be available to all Disney park fans. Please let me know if you like the idea for this website and think it could bring something to the Disney park fan community, or if it needs some rethinking.

Thank you!

• I'm not really here

Re: Gauging interest for a Disneyland Data Website

Absolutely interested in this sort of site. I've even contemplated building one myself several times. I've got a Disney knowledge base in the works at the moment. A repository of links and articles about various lands, attractions, parks, etc, so your idea really excites me. I'm even thinking of building an accelerometer myself and taking it on rides when I go in Oct

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Awesome! Perhaps we could combine the data and links you've already collected into this new site or otherwise work together?

• I'm not really here

I wouldn't mind that at all. I haven't had time to work on it in a while what with my real programming job. but hopefully i can finish it up in the not to distant future.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

This site would be useful in many cases. Not the least of which is planning your vacation. I used to have an accelerometer app in my iPod Touch and I still have some results from that I think if you want them. It's wasn't a great app, but you could still get some useful data from that. Sadly I don't have the iPod anymore so I can't get any more results.

It would be amazing if you were able to cobble together an iPhone app. Being able to see data while you're in the park would be fantastic!