Unemployment benefits question

Those of you in CA have probably heard how tied up the UI phone lines are due to case load and such, and they indeed are. I have a quick question not answered on the EDD site and figured I'd ask here and see if anybody knows off-hand.

I applied for UI about six weeks ago, was initially granted (I got and sent in a continued-claims form), but then it got tied up with the need for a phone interview that only recently took place. If I'm granted UI would I get payments retroactive from the original date (minus the first-week waiting period of course)? The reason I ask is because I'm almost certainly going back to work beginning next month, and if I won't get past payments it won't be worth pursuing the claim anymore.

TIA

• soul reflector.

Re: Unemployment benefits question

Quote Originally Posted by HighLeveller View Post
    Those of you in CA have probably heard how tied up the UI phone lines are due to case load and such, and they indeed are. I have a quick question not answered on the EDD site and figured I'd ask here and see if anybody knows off-hand.

I applied for UI about six weeks ago, was initially granted (I got and sent in a continued-claims form), but then it got tied up with the need for a phone interview that only recently took place. If I'm granted UI would I get payments retroactive from the original date (minus the first-week waiting period of course)? The reason I ask is because I'm almost certainly going back to work beginning next month, and if I won't get past payments it won't be worth pursuing the claim anymore.

TIA
    Yes you will get all retroactive checks that are due to you minus the waiting period.. it might just take awhile that's all.

I actually know someone who has been on unemployment for almost 2 years because:

a.) Obama keeps extending it.

and

b.) EDD is so overworked right now that they don't even bother checking your job search info.

Good & bad I suppose.

Thanks a bunch. I'm not after taking undue advantage of it; at any rate you might chance getting busted sometime in the future when the EDD isn't so back-logged. But I have incurred debts since (living off a credit card) that I would have incurred much less of has this been taken care of expediently.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

It's supposed to be retroactive minus the wait period. My husband lost his job 3 months ago. We're still waiting for our first check from UI.

Yes, 3 months. No checks. Plenty of random bits of paper. He has another phone interview scheduled for Monday. Calling them is impossible, he spent almost an entire day dialing, re-dailing, re-dialing, just trying to get through and no luck at all.

Hope you get something soon!